PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lube

histed
03-08-2014, 08:21 PM
I just cast my first minie balls today. Never shot anything but round ball until now. I have a custom .54 flintlock. The minies measure about .539 to .541, so I don't know if they'll need sized or not. Meanwhile, I need some guidance. What do I use for lube? I was going to just coat them with Crisco initially, but that gets really messy in the summer and I don't know if there's anything better. My other question is powder charge. These weigh 412 gr +/- , good bit more than my RB. With the RB I'm shooting 90 - 100 gr of FFg (Goex). I planned to cut back to 70gr and see how that worked, but I'm open to any experienced voice. Thanks in advance for the help

triggerhappy243
03-09-2014, 01:27 AM
In my 54 I shoot T/C maxi-balls 430 grains. I use T/C bore butter but only lube the lower lube groove. each rifle and bullet will shoot different. you will need to experiment. My 54 likes 100 gr. pyrodex and my 50 likes 85. you would do best to have all the bullets weigh the same. .539 to 541 is a big spread. and most bullet lubes are messy in the summer, try pre- lubing when it is cool and keep your bullets in a cooler while going out to the range.

Bardo
03-09-2014, 02:19 AM
I just went and shot some minie's today cast from a lee mold. They were 422gr out of pure lead and were about .542 and went down the barrel with little pressure. They shot a lot better then I thought they would, about .75" at 25 yards. first time with this boolit and powder and I didn't have high hopes. I used 75gr of 3f goex. I am wondering if the 3f build pressure faster and helps blow out the skirt sooner. I casted a bunch more up to play with. They so hit the shoulder with some power. It was a 1 in 48 twist. I just used a black powder lube I made and put it on before I went shooting and put them in a maxiball case that holds 20. I need to go buy another 20 maxiballs just for the case :)
Bardo

triggerhappy243
03-09-2014, 02:39 AM
Bardo, this will save you the cost of admission. Here goes. find yourself the white or black plastic trays that 45 acp ammo comes in.... the 50 round boxes. the 50 and 54 cal. bullets fit in perfect.

histed
03-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Triggerhappy - thanks. I know I need more practice casting. It is likely that lighter ones have either less lead or air pockets. Some are wrinkled pretty badly and one of the guys in the cast section said I need a hotter mold. The tip you gave Bardo sounds good and I have some of those. Never used pyrodex - does it burn the same as black? Pressure-wise, I mean.

triggerhappy243
03-09-2014, 12:01 PM
I have never used real BP, I do not think ballistically speaking, that it matters. when you work up the perfect load thru trial and error, you will find what is the most accurate load for your particular rifle.

as far as wrinckles and other deformed bullit issues, get the molten lead and the mold hotter. and if you can ..... cast at a little faster rate so the mold does not have a chance to cool. casting in freezing temps does make for more challenges, as it being colder than a witches hooter in a brass bra, cools the mold faster than you want. not sure where your casting setup is located, but casting in freezing temps, will cool your mold unbelieveably fast. dont forget to smoke the mold cavities, it helps the bullet drop free from the mold. and I try to keep the weight variation to +/_ 4/10 of a grain..... or less. the closer the same weight, the better.

Hickok
03-09-2014, 12:22 PM
A good shooting minie is usually about .001-002" under groove diameter. T/c bore butter or SPG are good loobs if you don't want to make your own. I would start charges at 35 to 40 grains and work up 5 grains at a time to find the accurate load.

In N-SSA shooting, 58 caliber minies shoot best groups in 40 to 50 gr range of powder.

True.grit
03-11-2014, 12:06 AM
My TC renegade 50 likes 50 gr black powder. Any more the groups really open up. I get groups of 2.5 " at 100 yrds. I am very happy with that. I only shoot black powder. I think it is far better than the fake stuff. It also cleans up better. Happy shooting