PDA

View Full Version : J C Higgins snub model 88

flyer1
03-08-2014, 02:03 PM
I came across a 9 shot 22lr at the LGS for 200.00 out the door. I don't know much about them. Timing is good, trigger seems smooth and clean. Still has rifling in the snub barrel. The finish is not great. All scratched from the ejecter star. Looks like the original bake lite grips. Good price??? What else to look for?

Thanks for the info in advance.

bedbugbilly
03-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Can't help you on the J.C. Higgins. Somebody will come along.

I'm wondering who the mfg. of this one was? I had a H & R 9 shot "sidekick" one time - a rugged revolver but min shot so low you could plow with it. It in decent shape - about 98% and I paid around $100.00 for it. What your are describing - in the condition it's in - seems kind of high - but that just may be me. A lot of these little revolvers that sold cheap in their day seem to be a little more collectible now but as to what the price should be is, like anything, what a willing buyer will pay.

If you're looking for a 22lr "snub" - they are out there and I've seen them at a lot less than that in really decent shape - H & R, etc. If you're looking for a 22lr to shoot and want to stick to that price - take a look at a Heritage Rough Rider. I wanted a "kick around" 22 revolver so I wouldn't be scratching up my better guns (Bearcat, etc.) and I got a RR with a 4 3/4" barrel. A decent value and a good little shooter. They make them in various barrel lengths - I think 3 1/2" is the shortest.

flyer1
03-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Yes, I am looking for a little snub just for fun. I don't know much about the JC Higgins that's why I asked here. Seems not long ago new they were under 200. I will look at the rough rider. Thanks. I hope a few more will jump in here with some more info.

Mike

HeavyMetal
03-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Sounds like this could be a High Standard "Setinal" but without a picture I am only guessing.

flyer1
03-09-2014, 04:39 PM
The stamping said J C Higgins 88. The grip was like holding a small light bulb in your hand threads up. The Bakelite was the maroonbrown color. Wish I thought to take a picture. Were there different manufactures of jchiggins?

bedbugbilly
03-09-2014, 06:24 PM
flyer1 - it appears that I may be "all wet"! LOL Here is a link to a longer barreled JC Higgins that sold for $249

http://www.gunsamerica.com/984218841/J_C_Higgins_Model_88.htm

As I said earlier - these type of pistols seem to be collectible to some . . hopefully, someone will come along that has some true knowledge on the JC Higgins "line". I did a little looking and as Heavy Metal mentions - a connection with High Standard?

Again, it still seems high for the condition you describe but perhaps they are collectible enough that they demand that kind of price. I do know that I have read a number of posts over the years from folks with High Standard revolvers who seem to think they are well built/good shooters. I have never shot one so have no experience in those regards.

I'm assuming this is a DA revolver. The Heritage RR is strictly a SA - a small frame clone of the Colt SAA - bigger than a Ruger Bearcat. They make fine plinkers for the price - I've been very happy with the one I have but I have pretty much shot SA for 50 + years. If you're looking for a DA snub, then it sounds like what you are describing fits your needs better than the RR. Certainly more concealable than the RR I would think if that is a concern at all.

If you have your heart set on the Higgins - I'd certainly mention the finish wear, etc. and see if the dealer won't wiggle some on the price. Good luck and hopefully someone will come along that can answer your questions. Let us know how it works out and if you get it, we'd love to see some photos of it. Always interested in learning!

flyer1
03-09-2014, 06:42 PM
I really would like a smith kit gun but, out of my price range. I just stumbled on this. I know nothing about this one. And it is a DA.

johniv
03-09-2014, 07:49 PM
The J C Higgins was the Hi Standard sentinal made for sears and roebuck. This was my first revolver. Just picked up a Hi Standard and surprise they both shoot high. I believe it was reviewed by Elmer Keith and he remarked that it was sighted for 200 yards. They must all shoot high.
FWIW
John

Green Frog
03-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Sears never made any guns, AFAIK, but annually contracted with various manufacturers to get what they put in their catalog. Again, going from my amphibian memory, the Model 88 was one of the High Standard contracted guns and should be virtually identical to the High Standard Sentinel. Depending on vintage, there should be a sort of skeletonized grip frame with a single screw coming up through the bottom of the grip. If this is the case, you can put several different styles of grips on it... on my Sentinel Deluxe snub, I changed out the grip from round butt to square with just the removal and replacement with that single screw.

The Sentinel design was tough as nails and would work well with any 22 ammo until it got thoroughly gummed up (especially under the extractor star) but I find it a little large and bulky after comparing it to the J-framed Smiths. For an all coil spring gun it can have a pretty good trigger, even in DA mode.

The preceding is all personal experience and some discussion with the old H-S staff (30+ years ago) but I believe it to all be pretty accurate.

Froggie

flyer1
03-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Wow, good info. Thanks, the DA trigger seemed very good and the SA trigger felt similar to a Smith. I do not remember if it had a single screw on the bottom for the grip. I do remember that the grip felt a bit different than my norm but, not in a bad way. Just different. I guess the bottom line is 200 bucks out the door a good price or is it high. That is the best I could do on the price. They were asking 229 plus tax. It is much less than a smith kit gun when you can find them.

Thanks again, Mike

MtGun44
03-11-2014, 01:53 AM
I think Heavy Metal nailed it, matches the description of a HS Sentienal that a
friend's father kept by the bedside.

Bill