PDA

View Full Version : Swaging .308 190 gr - 220 gr RBT bullets

just bill
03-08-2014, 01:53 PM
As many have read I am on a quest for information and dies to produce up to 220 gr .308 bullets. Got a lot of answers,
Thanks.But I have been asked the question " can your dies handle a bullet that long"? I cannot say because I do not have the dies as of yet, why, because I can only find one source with a possible answer Dave Corbin, his "RBT S" dies go up to 12 ogive, and offer a VLD option as well, which in theory, possibly handles 1.5" long bullets. A 220 SMK is the benchmark which I am using. Does anybody swage this this type bullet. I have been warned that VLD bullets may cause a problem in some barrels. The closer I get to the final product, the more oh by the way, questions i get. With Members numbering 33,219 in this forum at least one would swage 200+ grain .308 bullets.

Thanks,
Bill

Wolftracker
03-08-2014, 04:25 PM
I have Corbin's 308 RBT set in S dies and use his 1.25" jackets. The point former ogive is 6 and I also have the lead tip die. I haven't tried to make anything heavier than 210 gr but have little doubt I could go up to 220. I suppose this would change with a pointier bullet. The dies handle the 1.25" length just fine though.

just bill
03-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I have Corbin's 308 RBT set in S dies and use his 1.25" jackets. The point former ogive is 6 and I also have the lead tip die. I haven't tried to make anything heavier than 210 gr but have little doubt I could go up to 220. I suppose this would change with a pointier bullet. The dies handle the 1.25" length just fine though.

Every thing I read about the S dies says 1.3" max bullets, then you have to go up to the H dies and the next size press and that is a huge jump in $$$$$. I was hoping to get into Richard's press and dies. I could work with 210 gr bullets and get a 10 ogive or a vld point forming die if he offers it as an option at a later date. I only have 190 SMK's in hand and design schematic for a 220 SMK as my benchmark. Right now I have Richard's 120 & 130 jackets to experiment with.

Thanks,Bill

just bill
03-08-2014, 07:08 PM
I have a set of Corbin "M" dies, the FRBL-6-M set with a 6-S point form die.

The heaviest bullet I normally swage is a 195 grain FBOP using a 1.200" J4 jacket. The "M" dies handle this jacket without any problems. I have swaged the RBT in the past, but found that out to 600 yards the flat base will shoot as well or better than the rebated boat-tail, and with two less steps in the swaging process.

The VLD designs need to be heavier to have any shank length. The 145 grain FPOP made in my 6-S die barely has a shank that is one caliber in length. There is a point where the RBT and 10 or 12 caliber ogives become too much of a good thing, all nose and butt, no bearing surface.

PB

Thanks,
I'm going for 1000 yards with a 300 win mag long shooter set up. Based on the pros and cons at this time the RBT I think is the way to go, not leaving out the BT or FB option. If I understand bullet design and ogive caliber, then a 2+/- R of a 220 SMK is almost a 7 ogive. So an 8 should do moderately and a 10 should be in a better ballistic coefficient. I am learning as I go and I do not want to appear to be throwing $5.00 words around just to impress anyone, especially where there so many more experienced people on this site, than my self, they will have my head on a pike if I seem to try run any type of game. That being said, it looks like I need to explore the options on keeping the bullets at or below 1.3" and hope Richards dies can fit the parameters I need and save some $$$$. He even warns on his sight check to see if your dies can handle the 1.36 jacket length.

Thanks again,
Bill

garandsrus
03-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Bill,

I believe I have a set of dies that wouldnt have trouble getting to that weight. They are carbide benchrest dies. A bunch of J4 jackets came with the them and I think they are 1.3" jackets. If you would like, I can make a couple 220 gr bullets for you to see.

John

just bill
03-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks John.

PM sent.

runfiverun
03-08-2014, 10:22 PM
rce has an over run of 1.34 jackets on hand right now. [cheap]
I grabbed a couple-k for some 180's I'm going to do as hollow points.
they might make 200grs especially with a boat tail.

just bill
03-09-2014, 10:10 PM
rce has an over run of 1.34 jackets on hand right now. [cheap]
I grabbed a couple-k for some 180's I'm going to do as hollow points.
they might make 200grs especially with a boat tail.

Didn't see any on the website, 1.20,1.30 & 1.36 only.

Bill