PDA

View Full Version : pewter question

twc1964
03-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Ok guys, I'm going to hit some yard sales and good will centers on a pewter hunt. can anyone tell me what kind of pewter to shy away from? places of origin- stampings etc. I'm new to this so if i missed a post on this topic, sorry.

imashooter2
03-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Wilton Armetale (RWP), Pewterex, York Metal Crafters, Country Ware, Ameralloy, Arthur Court, Leonard Duratale, Crown Castle and Mariposa Brilliante are all aluminum based alloys and have no value in casting. Real pewter has thin sections, soldered on handles and often a rolled edge for strength. Look at pictures of the real stuff here to get an idea of the proper form:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?127929-Pewter-pictures-and-hallmarks

William Yanda
03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Look for "pewter" stamped on the bottom. Some thrift shop employees seem to get some kind of, perhaps even a great measure of, satisfaction in putting their stickers over such stamps. There, now I have vented and I feel better!

PS: I am also irritated when I find such stamps covering logos of other items.

drinks
03-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I found some scrap pewter on ebay, most of the pieces still showed "pewter" somewhere on the piece.
After melting it, I checked the BHN, it is 21.
I shall have to try some of the faster loads with it.
It cannot "lead",but it may "tin".

twc1964
03-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys, i will be keeping an eye out for the good stuff. sorta like a treaure hunt but i can shoot the treaure lol

twc1964
03-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Found a riceszinn pewter pitcher for 8 bucks. pretty heavy. says pewter on the bottom. hope i did ok lol

imashooter2
03-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Zinn is German for tin. You did just fine. :)

lwknight
03-08-2014, 11:36 PM
I used to be able to get good pewter cheap on ebay till someone on this forum let it out about ebay.
I never found anything at a goodwill.
I did however buy up a lot of tin when it was $7.00 per pound.
Good luck, you are going to need it.

bangerjim
03-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Have never found any cheap pewter at junk store in over 15 years! And that is a lot of stores in a big metro area. When it is there, very high prices are in the "collectables" cabinet!!!!!!!!!

Best to buy your pewter from guys here!!!!! And save a lot of gasoline driving around in circles!

I don't personally need pewter. I am lucky to have over 125# of pure tin from years past!

banger

drinks
03-09-2014, 12:25 PM
LW, I just bought 6lb of scrap pewter , $38, including shipping, some decent buys are still out there

jsizemore
03-09-2014, 01:02 PM
LW, I just bought 6lb of scrap pewter , $38, including shipping, some decent buys are still out there

Was this in ingots?

Cloudwraith
03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
I spent the entire weekend thrift shopping and antiquing in the Columbus, Oh area.

Ended up with about 9lb of pewter at an average of $5/lb.

Melted it down last night into mini-muffin ingots averaging about 4 ounces per. It all melted smoothly but the ingots have a yellowish tint to them. After doing some research on threads here, I'm assuming I had the pewter too hot. The parts of the ingots that hit the sides of the pan are smooth but the base which was open to air has a rough crystalline feel to it. Is that the antimony or just pewter alloy that has cooled more slowly?

Pics
http://www.rogue-cavern.net/pics/casting/pewter_muffin_ingot_2.jpg
http://www.rogue-cavern.net/pics/casting/pewter_muffin_ingot_1.jpg

imashooter2
03-11-2014, 12:18 PM
It is just an ingot that was poured hot. The alloy does not separate.

bangerjim
03-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Don't cook the crapola out of your pewter next time! Lower the heat a bunch.

Did you figure your gasoline and vehicle costs in that $5/#????????????????????

banger

Cloudwraith
03-11-2014, 03:54 PM

banger

No but I was out with the wife and doing it anyway :).

My turkey fryer propane setup doesn't seem to want to stay lit at really low temp :( I guess I could find a hotplate setup for pewter....

bangerjim
03-11-2014, 04:21 PM
No but I was out with the wife and doing it anyway :).

My turkey fryer propane setup doesn't seem to want to stay lit at really low temp :( I guess I could find a hotplate setup for pewter....

I love to go "antiquing"! Never find any pewter that is reasonable, but do find the many other things I collect! Both the wife & I are avid antique collectors.

Pewter is clean. Melt in your casting pot! I use my extra small casting melter (10# Lee melter) to work with pewter, tin, and other alloys we use with pure lead.

A turkey fryer (!!!!) is totally uncontrollable and should be only used for "burning" COWW's and crapola lead sheets/range junk.

banger

jsizemore
03-11-2014, 08:41 PM
I just learned something right there. I've ingotized a few 100lbs of pewter using my turkey fryer and I shouldn't have! I guess folks that fry turkeys at a lower temp then casters shouldn't be using them either.

wlsample
03-11-2014, 11:32 PM
I have found over 35 pounds of pewter in the last year at Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. Avg cost under $3 per pound. I travel a lot for work and shop for pewter as rest breaks from driving.

mikeym1a
03-12-2014, 12:50 AM

banger

Part of the fun is in the finding. If you are just out riding around, and you happen to find some, they all the better. Not finding any shouldn't ruin your day. Just being out and about with someone you like is a reward in itself. 8-)

bangerjim
03-12-2014, 12:15 PM
I just learned something right there. I've ingotized a few 100lbs of pewter using my turkey fryer and I shouldn't have! I guess folks that fry turkeys at a lower temp then casters shouldn't be using them either.

Your are burning off the tin! Tin melts at 450F. Lead melts at 621F. Turkey fryers are a blast from hell......waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hot.

banger

jsizemore
03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
I just apply the "10% rule". You only need to be 10% smarter then the tools or materials your attempting to operate. I hold my pewter melt between 450-500degF with my turkey fryer. I do have a thermometer to verify temp.

Sekatoa
04-06-2014, 12:26 AM
I just got two mugs (not sure id call them steins) at the flea market, both stamped pewter, but I'll have to look for the hallmark tomorrow. 2 lbs 2 oz combined weight, for $8 total. There was a lot of small items here and there today, but sold as "collectable" or just plain over priced that I passed on.

bangerjim
04-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I just apply the "10% rule". You only need to be 10% smarter then the tools or materials your attempting to operate.

And you still have all ten fingers and both eyes???????????????????????????? :kidding:

On ALL my shop equipment I have a big yellow and black sign that reads: "This machine has no brain.....engage your before operating."

I like to be at lease 300% smarter than any tool I use. :drinks:

banger

jsizemore
04-06-2014, 06:17 PM
And you still have all ten fingers and both eyes???????????????????????????? :kidding:

On ALL my shop equipment I have a big yellow and black sign that reads: "This machine has no brain.....engage your before operating."

I like to be at lease 300% smarter than any tool I use. :drinks:

banger

As long as it has a delete button, you'll be OK.:holysheep