PDA

View Full Version : 357 mag lever gun recipe needed!

marada
03-08-2014, 11:52 AM
hello everyone, i'm needing a recipe for my 1894 and i have a few different powders on hand that i would like to use . i have 700x, bullseye,and ramshot enforcer. i will be using a cast lead semi wad cutter plain base 180gr bullet, hoping to be able to shoot the same bullet from my 1894 and in my contender pistol.if anyone has used any of these powders before and have a pet load , it would be appreciated. thanks.

Ben
03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
There is a wealth of tested and proven reloading data on the internet hosted by the powder companies, Alliant, Hodg., Win., etc. .

Taking " suggestions " from individuals on the internet is risky. Why take the risk ?

Try this :

https://www.google.com/search?q=Free+reloading+data&oq=Free+reloading+data&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4440j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

bangerjim
03-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Yes....................do NOT rely on advice from someone on the net.

Buy the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook! It has almost everything will want to know about casting and more important tons of powder load cast boolit charts. I use it every day. I do not rely on info from blogs and individuals that have a "favorite" load. I only use that info as a starting place for research but rely on the PUBLISHED data from the Lyman & Lee books and the manufacturer's load data books (which are free).

banger

Wise Owl
03-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Glad to see some good answers to these kinds of post,
my husband goes ballistic over the lack of critical thinking.

03-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Thank you, Julie.

TXGunNut
03-08-2014, 07:40 PM
I think your 1894 will be able to use a slower powder than your Contender but may have different lube/boolit weight preferences. I'd use a manual to choose the slowest suitable powder you have on hand and see it you can find a load both guns like. I have a similar project underway for the 32 WCF, still in the research stage but should be interesting.

marada
03-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Glad to see some good answers to these kinds of post,
my husband goes ballistic over the lack of critical thinking.

i always double check instead of just taking someone's word when it comes to something that could be dangerous to me or other people, i just wanted to see what others were using or if they were using the same powders i have on hand. but thanks for your concern.

trapper9260
03-09-2014, 10:01 AM
I would say what other stated get the lyman book you will be glad after in the long run.Also the companys like some stated that is on line that makes the powder.look at the data that is there and then compare rifle to handgun loads will give you a good idea of it all.like my 44mag I have a handgun and then i got a rifle and try the same load in the rifle form the handgun and it is right on target.That is what I was looking for that way i do not need to have 2 different loads for each and I am working on do the same for 357 also.but check your data not word of mouth.

marada
03-09-2014, 10:51 AM
I would say what other stated get the lyman book you will be glad after in the long run.Also the companys like some stated that is on line that makes the powder.look at the data that is there and then compare rifle to handgun loads will give you a good idea of it all.like my 44mag I have a handgun and then i got a rifle and try the same load in the rifle form the handgun and it is right on target.That is what I was looking for that way i do not need to have 2 different loads for each and I am working on do the same for 357 also.but check your data not word of mouth.

thanks trapper9260, yes i always check my data, have been loading for 25yrs, have 2 lyman manuals ,speer manual ,rcbs cast manual, and the latest lee manual . just wanted to see if anyone else had used my types of powder.

marada
03-09-2014, 10:52 AM
thanks everyone for your replies.

Old Ironsights
03-10-2014, 07:36 AM
After you have checked with Lyman, check out Junior's (Junior 1942) Hog Load . Its performance is essentially equivelent to the Buffalo Bore 180gr WFNGC... which out of MY rifle hits 1800fps and craters deer at 110yds...

bobthenailer
03-10-2014, 08:00 AM
For velocties in the 1000 fps range with 158 to 180 gr boolets try 4.0 to 4.5 gr of Bullseye powder loaded in 357 mag cases.
Tightgroup powder with the same powder charges as BE also work well !
I have never used enforcer or 700x powder.
For most full power loads i use surplus 820 , however if you want about another 200 fps more velocity Lil Gun is your powder

outsidebear
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Take a read here:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/rossi.htm

Scharfschuetze
03-14-2014, 11:45 AM
I know that you don't list having Lil'Gun in your selection of powders, but I've had very good results using Hodgdon's Lil'Gun powder and your proposed 180 grain PBFP boolit. Velocities from a 24" barrel are in the mid 1700s and accuracy is just shy of 2 MOA for 10 shot groups through 200 yards using an 1894 Marlin rifle.