PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Ragin hornet or bee?

speedyr
03-08-2014, 01:48 AM
anyone have either of these or any comments on ownership? I've got other hornet and bee rifles/contenders and have always wanted one. leaning towards looking for a bee (only have one now, but also ballistically it's got a small edge on the hornet), but could go either way. I know they haven't made them in a while but I occasionally come across them used but haven't "pulled the trigger" when I have seen one just because I don't know enough about them. I've got plenty of brass for both, and reload both (would love to hear if anyone has suggestions for casting for the little 22's!), so that's not an issue, just haven't seen/heard much about the Raging versions of them. I see some complain about the cylinders and chambers in them, but that doesn't seem to be as much on the Raging version (more their "target" version or something)? I know another option is to get the BFR custom shop 218 bee but I'm guessing that' going to be quite a bit more than a used Taurus raging bee/hornet?

Anyway just checking to see if ya'll have any feedback on either or the Raging Hornet or Bee models in case I come across a deal on one some day.. :)

kweidner
03-08-2014, 09:17 AM
I'd love to have one. Last time I saw one used it was very expensive. Like almost a used freedom arms expensive. That is a no brainer for me. If I found one at the right price I would pick up the hornet.

leftiye
03-08-2014, 11:38 AM
There's a bee on gumbroker for $1500. Snuff to drive me away.

dmize
03-09-2014, 06:28 AM
Word of warning on discontinued Taurus models. If one breaks you are screwed. ESPECIALLY if someone gives an astronomical price for a "rare" one.

kopperl
03-09-2014, 08:05 AM
I've got a Raging K Hornet. Love it for shooting. Not so much for carrying<G>.

mtnman31
03-09-2014, 08:48 AM
I've got a Raging Carbine (.30 carb) and love it. My only complaint, which wouldn't apply to the Hornet or Bee, is having to use moon clips. If you can find one at an agreeable price, I'd say to scoop it up. They are large, unique and always a conversational piece.

speedyr
03-12-2014, 09:56 AM
after doing a bit more research I may go the MRI BFR route. I read somewhere that in the past they made the BFR in a 22 hornet or 218 bee but you had the option to get a second cylinder in the other caliber and could interchange them. make sense since they are both usually .224 barrels, but hadn't really thought about it like that. I have an older Colt peacemaker with 22lr and 22mag cylinders and like that system. but if i come across a deal on the taurus I may go that route, have no idea how much the BFR would cost... :(

DLCTEX
03-13-2014, 02:25 AM
I have a Raging Hornet and really love it. What can break that can't be made? It does tend to back cases out and drag to the extent that I have assist it to turn if using full bore loads. I prefer to shoot my cast loads in it anyway which work fine, so that's not a problem, but I have considered reaming it to K Hornet to help with that problem and make cases last longer. I also have a Raging Bull in 480 Ruger that is a mirror image but actually weighs less due to the larger bore removing more metal. I have had the hornet scoped but prefer to use the iron sights and put the scope mount on the Raging Bull to mount a red dot on. The Hornet loves the 225-436 which drops at 46 gr. Checked and lubed from my mould. I also have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet rifle and they both require the same length cartridge and necksized brass works in either gun with no problems.

dmize
03-13-2014, 05:47 PM
What can break that can't be made?
Apparently a pin for the trigger assembly that is part of the frame. Not going to start a Taurus bashing here. Just a word of warning,if you buy a "rare" Taurus such as Raging anything other than a 454. One would be wise to not pay too much for it. If it breaks like mine did you will receive MSRP for the broken revolver at the time of its purchase as a credit towards a new Taurus. I.E. if someone gives a grand for a Raging Bee and it breaks and you send it back,you will receive MSRP regardless of what you actually paid.

remy3424
03-22-2014, 03:15 PM
...to Bee or not to Bee...To Bee