PDA

View Full Version : The Rifleman's rifle

lead-1
03-08-2014, 12:59 AM
I was shooting the bull with some friends today and the subject of the rifle used in The Rifleman. One guy told of an article he read about a thumbscrew used to trip the trigger when the lever was closed and timing was achieved by adjusting the screw.
Much was discussed on legally doing this to a lever action .22, since nothing is changed in the actual workings of the rifle as in one cycle of the lever and one pull of the trigger and one fireing of a round, why wouldn't it be legal to do?

Your opinions please?

AlaskanGuy
03-08-2014, 02:18 AM
Hmmmmm, sounds like an interesting project... I think it would be legal... No reason why not... Might be kinda fun...

44Vaquero
03-08-2014, 02:43 AM
Google is a wonderful thing:

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/own_riflemans_rifle.htm

Mike DiMuzio builds them on Italian copies. Visit his link and learn all you ever need to know about the Lucas McCain's rifle!

UBER7MM
03-08-2014, 08:18 AM
When I was a kid, I had a rifleman's rifle toy, (probably cap gun). The lever had a piece of chromed sheet steel bent into a "U" shaped that straddled the interior of the trigger guard. This piece pivoted through a hole drilled through horizontally through the trigger guard. The catch could be flipped up and engaged or flipped down and disengaged. I think that this design would give you more options, and if executed correctly safer than a semi permanent tapped screw. With the screw in place you can NOT close the action without firing the weapon. Ouch!
It looked like this photo of a toy but movable:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10227538/toy-guns/rifleman-toy-cap-gun-hubley
Interesting project. I hope this helps,

starmac
03-08-2014, 03:10 PM
I would think it would be legal, but the only use I could see for it would be in hollywood. lol

Jack Stanley
03-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Uber7mm , I had one of those as a young'un and burned up many miles of caps .

The idea sounds like fun for range time and a centerfire , wouldn't ya like to get good with one of them ?:-)

Jack

UBER7MM
03-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Jack,
The toys were so much better back then! :Fire:
Like I implied, there is a danger aspect with handing a modified trigger guard in a lever gun. I remember that as a kid. Its no big deal to set off one more cap in a cap gun, but what about the guy who closes his action on his modified trigger guard Model '92? He's done a thousand times before with an unaltered lever gun. Then one day: Bang!
I suggest that "rifleman-ing" a pump action is safer. With the Winchester Model 1890/1906 22LR, one can hold the trigger down and cycle the pump with the same "rapid fire" effect. There is no modifications to the gun. I would imagine it would be the same for the "Colt Lightening" and their cones. I don't recall trying it with a pump shot gun. Perhaps someone on the forum has?

clownbear69
03-08-2014, 05:51 PM
If 1 pull of the trigger shoots 1 round its legal. heck a gatling gun is legal and if you get one before 1899 (I think) no paperwork required

308w
03-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Old Winchester 97's and 12's and Ithica 37, pumps would all fire when the action went forward if you held the trigger back. In the movie The Wild Bunch they put this to wicked effect with the 97's....

FergusonTO35
03-08-2014, 07:54 PM
The opening sequence of that show with McCain emptying his 92 from the hip made it absolutely clear that lots of people were going to die in every episode!

357Mag
03-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Lead1 -

Howdy !

FWIW -
The opening gunfight scene in " Once upon a time in the West ", shows Charles Bronson going up-against 3 baddies ( Jack Elam, Woody Strode + one other ).

Woody Strode's character is carrying a " Mare's Leg " sorta weapon, that also features a set-screw rapid fire feature; readily visible in the " film ".

Elam - " Looks like we're shy one horse " !

Bronson - shaking his head...... " You brought 2 TOO many " !

Key the flyin' lead !!

Regards,
357Mag

Jack Stanley
03-09-2014, 09:31 AM
OK ................. I'm convinced . Where do I sign up for my brand new Remington pump rifle in 32-20 ? ;-)

Jack

UBER7MM
03-09-2014, 03:14 PM
:(
OK ................. I'm convinced . Where do I sign up for my brand new Remington pump rifle in 32-20 ? ;-)

Jack

If you have to have a pump, a 12g Mossberg 500a should be easier to come by, probably cheaper too. Or perhaps a 22LR from the used rack.
:???:
Honestly, the idea of my suggestions wasn't to separate you from your money...

monge
03-09-2014, 04:07 PM
That's a great link a lot of cool facts that I didn't know about the rifleman, watched the show when I was a kid , still watch the reruns on AMC!

Artful
03-09-2014, 04:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM-URFKIZU4

lead-1
03-09-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm not ignoring, I'm taking it all in. Lots of good links and info here and if this ever materializes I will try to get pictures of the said rifle, my friend is thinking of trying it on a Henry .22LR.

pietro
03-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Jack

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remington-Model-25-32-Wcf-.cfm?gun_id=100424046 :D

Jack Stanley
03-09-2014, 08:49 PM
What a bargain Pietro !! heh heh heh !! can you imagine what that type of rifle would cost now if Remington would try to replicate it ? Actually I think I have and old Savage pump rifle around here somewhere if I felt the need for speed with an oldster . But really fellas I do try to take it easy on old rifles with hard to find parts . It is fun to dream though .

Jack