PDA

View Full Version : Ordering powder

Bullshop Junior
03-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Has anyone ever ordered powder? I'm sick of trying to find it local and Cabelas has 4227 in stock and I'm out of powder and ammo for my 454...

Is it worth trying to mail order it?

btroj
03-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Hazmat fee is a killer.

I would order it only if getting enough at one time to spread that fee out enough to make it economical. I would do it if I was getting 3 or 4 eight pounders.

Bullshop Junior
03-08-2014, 12:04 AM
I was looking at 2-3 pounds since I cant afford a whole lot.

xacex
03-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Just get as much as you can. If it is not available locally then what is it worth to you? The lowest quantity I have ever ordered was 6 pounds.

btroj
03-08-2014, 12:11 AM
Well a 25 dollar hazmat fee on 3 pounds adds 8 bucks a pound not including shipping. You are soon up to almost 35 bucks a pound.

jonas302
03-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Absolutely its worth ordering the hazmat is no big deal for me count in the higher price of local the gas to get there the multiple trips to go check by other things get lunch put more gas in and pay sales tax if a guy sees what you need on line better order it before its gone
Of course everybody's situation is different to me its sit there without powder or pay the hazmat and have it at your door
Somebody had 4227 cheaper than cabelas this week but I cant find it now better order tonight if you want to get some might be gone in the morning

uscra112
03-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Amen to that! It costs me $24 in gas (round trip) to get to the nearest LGS that stocks any powder at all. And then I find out that the counterman never actually walked the fifteen feet to see that they really had any Varget ! So I'm $24.00 poorer and still no Varget. And I drowned my sorrow by overeating on fast food, so there's another six bucks.

Bullshop Junior
03-08-2014, 01:11 AM
Amen to that! It costs me $24 in gas (round trip) to get to the nearest LGS that stocks any powder at all. And then I find out that the counterman never actually walked the fifteen feet to see that they really had any Varget ! So I'm $24.00 poorer and still no Varget. And I drowned my sorrow by overeating on fast food, so there's another six bucks.

One of the locals here just got 800 pounds of varget in. But I don't need varget. I need 4227 or h110 or 2400. Or something else to load of some decent 454 rounds.

Bored1
03-08-2014, 01:13 AM
Check with with a few guys you know and split up the order to spread out the fee, only way I can see it making any sense at all. Or find a member who's close and wait until they make an order.

9w1911
03-08-2014, 01:24 AM
I order online now, and the stores like Cabelas here or Sportsman have all raised their prices, minimum 27.00 per pound, 37.00 for WLR and thats if you can find anything. It does cost me time and gas to drive to Reno to get it. I do get food at some point. So last time it was 54.00 before tax for 2lbs of 4064, and I had to get gas etc so I felt like I spent half of what I should have for a keg and still did not feel like a bought enough and to buy 3lbs there and spend almost 90.00. I think it balances but at least this way I have what I need, I have a decent stash now. I did buy a keg of 4227 online today and its not cheap after shipping but I have it and Cabelas here if they had it would have it for 189.00 I am excited I love 4227!

txnative1951
03-08-2014, 01:49 AM
I always try to max out the order by weight so that the HAZMAT charge is diluted per pound as much as possible. This usually means at least 50 lbs per order. If I'm lucky, a couple of other reloaders that I know will go in on the order with me, but I've had a few 50 lb orders all by myself. These days, when my stock starts getting to around the 30 lb level, I start looking for another 50 lb order. So far, I've always been able to find some replacement powder before I completely ran out, but it's not always what I was originally looking for. But then again, developing new loads with a powder you've never used before is fun also.

I've also been known to order an 8 lb keg of a powder that I wasn't completely sure that I could use, just because it was available. I figured that with all the calibers that I own, surely ONE of them could use that powder. These days, you just have to keep your options open.

freebullet
03-08-2014, 01:49 AM
I've ordered primers. I try to get a few friends together and place a large enough order that the hazmat fee is nothing when you split it up. 3-4 lbs would be tough though, that's a lot extra. I feel for ya, but I'd wait it out if ya got other bang sticks.

xacex
03-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Problem these days with getting guys together for an order is once you got everyone's money, or list the powder is gone. Another problem if the online store limits you to 10# of each kind of powder per day like Natchez. If it is under 50$ a pound shipped and you got to have it, get it. There selling powder for 50$ + shipping on gunbroker, and I know people at the club that pay it. Sad, but true. With shipping I do not like to pay over 30$ a pound before I say that is to much. I paid that for H4895 and Varget this month, and got a pound of MP300 to try, but I would spend more than that driving around to every gun store around here to find nothing in stock.

Roy Acuffff
03-08-2014, 04:01 AM
Daniel
Order your 4227 from Cabelas and have them ship to the store just north of you in Buda, TX. They advertise no shipping if sent to a store location. Call and order on their 800 number and make sure they will ship powder this way. You may get what you want for no shipping and no HAZMAT. Don't forget the Texas 8.25% sales tax. Their limit is two per day, order two and have the wife order two and order some more the next day. Remember they may be out the next day.
Just a thought for what it's worth.

Roy

dragon813gt
03-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Daniel
Order your 4227 from Cabelas and have them ship to the store just north of you in Buda, TX. They advertise no shipping if sent to a store location. Call and order on their 800 number and make sure they will ship powder this way. You may get what you want for no shipping and no HAZMAT.

Nope, Hazmat items are still charged the fee for site to store.

MrWolf
03-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I basically have to order my powder online as we really don't have anyone in this damn state that stocks reloading supplies. I do as others have stated, order larger powder quantities and primers at the same time. Figure sales tax and gas saved reduces hazmat charge.

Bullshop Junior
03-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Any one else around gonzales tx need any powder then?

snowwolfe
03-08-2014, 11:51 AM
In the last couple of weeks I purchased 6 pounds of N310 from Powder Valley and 3 pounds of N105 from Wideners. Paying the hazmat fee was so worth it!
I am sick and tired of running around to LGS's only to leave empty handed. I spent countless gallons of gasoline and hours of my time and ended up with nothing.
Much easier to sit on the couch and click on my laptop 4-5 times a day and hope I get lucky finding powder in stock somewhere online.

BTY, what was the store you visited charging for 8 pound jugs of Varget? Will they ship? Name of store?

txnative1951
03-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Any one else around gonzales tx need any powder then?

I suspect it is going to depend upon whether you consider yourself a suburb of San Antonio or Houston. :)

bangerjim
03-08-2014, 12:27 PM
That hazmat fee is a killer unless you are ordering 20# or more! I refuse to pay it. I am lucky, living in a large metro area, to have dozens of LGS's close that always have powder I need. They spread that fee out over their entire large orders and the OTC prices are not bad!

Living in a large area has it's many advantages. But I cannot just out and shoot off my back porch!

banger

Bullshop Junior
03-08-2014, 12:30 PM
I suspect is going to depend upon whether you consider yourself a suburb of San Antonio or Houston. :)

I drive to San Antonio every day for work.

Bullshop Junior
03-08-2014, 12:32 PM
I was originaly gonna order 2 pounds of 4227. I've added 1000 SR primers to the order (29 bucks) and a pound of 4350....but that's really pushing my spending limit. Really, 2 pounds is pushing it.

9w1911
03-08-2014, 12:51 PM
shops here know we order online so they upped the price for shipping and hazmat, they say "see after you add shipping and hazmar that comes out to 30something a pound" to that I say, "yeah but you add the hazmat and the shipping ok, but I still have to pay tax, I still have to drive here and I still have to deal with people here or the shops not having anything" now that I do that online deal I dont think I will go back to purchasing from the big stores

Bullshop Junior
03-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Where would I have better luck finding powder? Cabelas? Or bass pro?

M-Tecs
03-08-2014, 03:05 PM

Normally I order from Powder Valley with a 32 pound minimum to cut down on the Hazmat frees but they are mostly out of everything I want also.

Mid South, Midway, Graf or Natchez will all have betterprices on being out of state no tax.

jmort
03-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Powder and primers are hard to come by around here and the prices are crazy high. It is a better deal to mail order for me. I just find online merchants that take back orders and order and wait. One day the box shows up and I am good to go. The hazmat fee,at worst, gets me even with local high prices for nonexistent products. In reality I save $$$. For example I just got 5 pounds of Blue Dot for $107 delivered. I could not buy if for that price locally, notwithstanding I could not buy it in the first place. So for 2400 I could order 3 pounds for $87 or get 4 pounds for $98 back- ordered right now. Get it in a couple/few weeks and I am a happy camper. Obviously I would just get 4 pounds. Mail order makes sense for me and I often add some primers to further offset the cost.

dragon813gt
03-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Well considering I was at Cabelas today I can't recommend them. They had no powder at all. I mean not one can. Not even a spot on the shelf for it anymore. I didn't bother asking if it was in the back. I would have had to wait fifteen minutes just to talk to someone. They did have all the primers you wanted at $40 per thousand. That's their normal price but I refuse to pay it when PV charges $27. I imagine Cabela's pays a lower wholesale price than PV so what's that tell you about their profit margin. More power to Cabela's. I just won't be giving them my money in this situation.

Bonz
03-08-2014, 04:06 PM
There are only a few LGS near my home that stock smokeless powder and the prices are unbelievable, especially the popular powder (231, Autocomp,LilGun, etc) Normally the hazmat & shipping evens everything out because of high local prices & tax

pretzelxx
03-08-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking that online ordering is the only option I have right now, it's pretty sad. I'm going to wait a while longer before I spend that much more in fees, but it sure is tempting.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-08-2014, 06:12 PM
GUNSHOW !!!
do some research on San Antonio Gunshows.
It's been about a decade, but my folks use to live near San Antonio, When I'd visit, I'd always try to hit a gunshow. There seemed to be a gunshow at least once a month in the San Antonio area.

I was at the Wells, MN Gunshow this morning. Gun Prices were high, but powder and primers were plentiful....I spent about $350 on those type of items. One vendor had Winchester primers at $32 per 1k and several different vendors had some old stock powder. I bought about 10 cans. All, except for one can, were sealed (including one can of Herc 2400...$10 !! SCORE !! )

dbosman
03-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Your charge card is your friend these days.
Find powder in stock -at relatively normal pricing- and buy the max. Sell the excess on the local swap forum or facebook forum.

Place back orders with sites that allow back orders. They can't charge you until they have the goods ready to ship.

Sign up for the Notify when in stock options and be prepared to order immediately. See above.

dhenry132
03-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Where is a good place to order a keg/kegs of powder?
I'm tired of the small amounts

Bullshop Junior
03-08-2014, 10:46 PM
I dont own a credit card. I went to a gun shop in San Antonio today that had a hidden stock behind the counter and got 6 pounds ranging from 27-32 bucks a pound.

txnative1951
03-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Where is a good place to order a keg/kegs of powder?
I'm tired of the small amounts

I usually get mine at Powder Valley (www.powdervalleyinc.com). Sometimes I can find some surplus powder that I figure I can use over at Jeff Bartlett's site (http://www.gibrass.com). He currently has some IMR7383 which is supposedly the equivalent of IMR4831 at $56 for a 7-lb container. Might be a bit slow for the .454 Casull, but that's why we have multiple firearms -- if we find some powder, we can find at least *one* of them that it will work in.

Here's some IMR data on powders:
http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf/IMR_rifle.pdf
http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf/IMR_handgun.pdf

It shows IMR4831 with a loading for .44mag and .45-70, so maybe a load could be developed for the .454 Casull. It appears to be a powder where you could just fill the case and then seat the bullet and still be safe in the straight walled cases.

triggerhappy243
03-09-2014, 03:18 AM
here is a thought...... order 50 pounds of what you need and what is popular. advertise for sale by the pound what you do not need to others living near by. i have been buying from midsouth shooters supply.

Bullshop Junior
03-09-2014, 03:19 AM
If I had the money up front to do that I would. But I don't.

triggerhappy243
03-09-2014, 04:06 AM
where is gonzales TX?

Bullshop Junior
03-09-2014, 09:53 AM
where is gonzales TX?

About 60 miles east of San Antonio.

Whiskeylima
03-09-2014, 11:34 AM
I know they have taken a beating here in the past but I have had repeated good luck with Third Generation Shooting Supply. Haz mat plus shipping adds about $3.50 to the price of one pound as long as you buy 10. IMO that's not too bad considering I can't find what I want anywhere else. Just a thought.

xacex
03-10-2014, 01:31 AM
I know they have taken a beating here in the past but I have had repeated good luck with Third Generation Shooting Supply. Haz mat plus shipping adds about $3.50 to the price of one pound as long as you buy 10. IMO that's not too bad considering I can't find what I want anywhere else. Just a thought.I got a couple of kegs of W231 from them a few months ago. Should keep me shooting blackout for a while. Price was not to bad at about 5$ more a keg than it used to be pre panic, and shipping wasn't bad.

djgoings
03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I have made many powder purchases from Midway and Brownells over the years. I always order 48 lbs each time to help offset the haz fee. Usually there are a few other range members that split the order with me. Availability now makes it really tough to find any powder to order.

snowwolfe
03-11-2014, 02:04 PM
I been following Gunbot for a couple of weeks and all I can say is not to trust it.

I also check the different big online places such as Mid South, Natchez, Wideners, 3rd Gen, etc. But recently I find on occasion that Gunbot will indicate one of these web sites just sold out of a powder I was looking for when in fact I had checked that particular web site just minutes before and they didn't show the items in stock. Weird, for sure.

9w1911
03-11-2014, 02:25 PM
probably because someone like me who checks gunbot often, so much so I can estimate when the trucks show up. check tomorrow morning haha, anyway I am there and ready to blow my budget when it comes up

sig2009
03-14-2014, 10:51 AM
It has now become more expensive to order powder online rather than buy at a local gun show. I only buy now at shows!

Ubet
03-14-2014, 11:26 AM
If you're ordering powder online, consider ordering cases or primers at the same time, they can ship in the same Hazmat order, and help to offset the fee.

Old School Big Bore
03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
I paid about a hun and a half for four measly pounds of powder. HazMat plus shipping tore me up, but I'm out in the sticks and don't get into town often enough to coordinate with any of the shops.
Where is Gonzales, TX? ONLY WHERE "COME AND TAKE IT" CAME FROM...of course they got it from Sparta, but no one else had painted it on a flag, to my knowledge...

LAH
03-14-2014, 10:08 PM
I always order as much as they will allow under one haz-mat fee. From Kansas to WV the haz-mat & freight amount to a little less than 5% of the total cost.

Shiloh
03-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Been about two years since ordering powder.

Get some fellow shooters/reloaders to go in. Sevral of us went in and ordered a good bit of powder. The HAZ-MAT and shipping fees were prorated and dispersed through all.
Made for very econmonical shooting. We have done this with Powder Valley and Jeff Bartlett back when there was surplus pulldown powder to be had.

Shiloh

Changeling
03-24-2014, 06:37 PM
This is a prime example of what happens when YOU don't get out and vote in a presidential or any election! Learn all the issues and contact your representatives with your way of seeing things. Just please don't sit on a stump and say WHAT HAPPENED when it's to late!

There will be another election coming before to many moons pass, so if you still want to sit on the way side and say it can't HAPPEN try and remember this mans post. Preach what you think and don't be afraid to confront those that are dumb enough to think the answer is sitting on there backsides. The people preaching gun controll are not interested in your rights whatsoever, they are just a bunch of misinformed people that won't stop/think and see what they are doing to this country and themselves.

Got some time on your hands, read "The Rise and Fall of The Roman Emphire", you just might learn how bad this situation is!

triggerhappy243
03-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Could not have said it any better my self.

geargnasher
03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Hey Daniel, TRAINER HALE SUPPLY in Marion. You drive right by it every day. I can't believe 300Savage hasn't mentioned it to you.

Gear

9w1911
03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
This is a prime example of what happens when YOU don't get out and vote in a presidential or any election! Learn all the issues and contact your representatives with your way of seeing things. Just please don't sit on a stump and say WHAT HAPPENED when it's to late!

There will be another election coming before to many moons pass, so if you still want to sit on the way side and say it can't HAPPEN try and remember this mans post. Preach what you think and don't be afraid to confront those that are dumb enough to think the answer is sitting on there backsides. The people preaching gun controll are not interested in your rights whatsoever, they are just a bunch of misinformed people that won't stop/think and see what they are doing to this country and themselves.

Got some time on your hands, read "The Rise and Fall of The Roman Emphire", you just might learn how bad this situation is! What does this have to do with the availability of components? If you looked around you would realize that stuff is back on the shelves but only for 30mins or less. There is no conspiracy its called supply and demand.

Petrol & Powder
04-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Good luck obtaining powder by any means these days.

LAH
04-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Natchez has powder.

Love Life
04-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I have powder!

LAH
04-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I have powder!

It the last thing on my list at this point.