PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mold handles?

sidecarmike
03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
A friend gave me a well used 4 cavity Lyman mold. Among other things, the handles were damaged and repaired. The handle is the style with the hinge on the tip. I find that clumsy to use. I see that Lyman sells a scissors style for the 4 cavity as well. Is this interchangeable, or are there two different styles of mold? If it matters, my part number is 357446.

phaessler
03-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I don't know about the newer 4-cavity style moulds, but in some of the older 4 cavity moulds, the handle groove is narrow, and even the "nutcracker" handles needed to be adjusted to fit. I have used Lee 6-cav, commercial handles again after modifiying them. I would be hard pressed to assume it would fit just because its a Lyman.

Whiskeylima
03-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I too just inherited a single cavity 356158 mold. Do singles take different handles as well ? Is there a universal handle to look at ?

sidecarmike
03-07-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't know about the newer 4-cavity style moulds, but in some of the older 4 cavity moulds, the handle groove is narrow, and even the "nutcracker" handles needed to be adjusted to fit. I have used Lee 6-cav, commercial handles again after modifiying them. I would be hard pressed to assume it would fit just because its a Lyman.
This would be old. The guy who gave it to me, along with about 300 pounds of wheel weights, said he stopped reloading around 1980.

jbelder
03-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Whiskeylima yes the single cavity molds take there own.

Echo
03-08-2014, 05:17 PM
But a 2-cavity handle will work for single-cavity moulds, I think. Doesn't work the other way around, though - a single-cavity handle won't work with 2-cavity blocks.

94Doug
03-11-2014, 02:36 AM
The new handles are made for 4 cavs, narrow metal, and longer than the current 2 cav handles.

Doug

Larry Gibson
03-11-2014, 10:11 AM
The newer 4 cavity handles work fine on older Lyman 4 cavity moulds; at least I've not had any problems.

As mentioned Lyman 2 cavity handles usually fit and work on single cavity moulds also.

Lyman single cavity handles wil not work on double cavity moulds w/o some modification which is easily done with a file.

Larry Gibson

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-11-2014, 10:43 AM
A friend gave me a well used 4 cavity Lyman mold. Among other things, the handles were damaged and repaired. The handle is the style with the hinge on the tip. I find that clumsy to use. I see that Lyman sells a scissors style for the 4 cavity as well. Is this interchangeable, or are there two different styles of mold? If it matters, my part number is 357446.
They are known at 'nutcracker" handles. I do agree with you about being a bit clumsy, but there are others here who prefer them. They are easy to sell or trade for handles you prefer. I am a big fan of modifying the Lee comercial handles, as they are very inexpensive, but they are made is sintered metal and are know to break. I have modified 6 sets of these handles for various molds (herters,Seaco,Lyman4,MBT,RCBS) AND I have not broke any yet, but I have heard others that have.

Here is an example of a set I modified. I just used a 4" grinder with a 80 grit flap disk and drilled the mounting holes larger. It took about 5 minutes. These are for the Lyman 4 cav.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/FULLLeemoldhandlesmodifiedforLyman4cav.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/FULLLeemoldhandlesmodifiedforLyman4cav.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/closeupLeemoldhandlesmodifiedforLyman4cav.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/closeupLeemoldhandlesmodifiedforLyman4cav.jpg.html )

sidecarmike
03-11-2014, 12:07 PM

I'm not sure anyone will want these...;-)

The mold was left in a damp basement, wrapped in a leather shammy. Fortunately, it had slugs in the cavities and evidence of oil on the inside. The corrosion is on the outside surfaces. With luck it will still function. I found another nutcracker handle at a gunshow for $40, but passed on it. I'll try to cast with it before I spend any money. Especially when I can buy a 6 cavity Lee for the same $40.

Red River Rick
03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Check here, all the handles you need to fit whatever you need..........and all under $40.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?56554-KAL-Mould-Handles

RRR

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-11-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure anyone will want these...;-)
WOW, now that's a BLOCKY set of handles !
But, in regards to your comments, I would bet dollars to donuts someone here will want those butt ugly nutcrackers. I'm sure not in line for 'em thou... :wink:

sidecarmike
03-11-2014, 02:13 PM
I saw those, but no one has answered my original question. Will the scissors style handles work with one that originally had a nutcracker?

Red River Rick
03-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Sidecarmike:

The answer is Yes! The handles that Lyman currently offers for their 4 cavity moulds will fit the mould you have.

RRR

sidecarmike
03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
I saw those, but no one has answered my original question. Will the scissors style handles work with one that originally had a nutcracker?
Thank you. If I decide to use the mold and am satisfied with it's casting, I will place an order with you.

Mike