PDA

View Full Version : Lube in Bevel Base

dale2242
12-22-2007, 09:43 PM
I have been shooting 452460 200gr SWC in my 1911. Borrowed a friends Lee 452-200-swc to give it a try. As you know, this mold has a heavily beveled base. When I size and lube these bullets in my RCBS luber-sizer, there is a lot of lube on the bevel. I always wipe the base of my bullets after lubing. Trying to get the lube off the bevel is a real PAIN. I use 50/50 Alox/beeswax lube only. My question is, if I leave the lube on the bevel will it contaminate the powder?

Forester
12-22-2007, 10:15 PM
For practical accuracy, no it makes no difference, you will end up with lube on the outside of the case when you seat the bullets though and more mess in your dies. I suppose with a large amount of lube on the base and a light load of a fast powder you could cause a problem...but it would be stretching it. Also look for additional smoke if that matters to you.

If you are trying for "Bullseye" accuracy then everything matters so you would want to wipe the bases.

I have a LAM-II and never liked it much partially because of exactly the problem you descibe with the same boolit. I solved it and other problems by biting the boolit and buying a Star lubrisizer.