PDA

View Full Version : LETS' Flux

PbHurler
03-07-2014, 10:09 AM
I have a slowly dwindling pound of Leading Edge Tool Service (LETS') Flux I purchased from Bill Ferguson many years ago.

I use only maybe a tablespoon or two when melting down an 80lb pot of wheelweights as part of my fluxing procedures.

Is this flux any kin to Marvelux? The LETS' stuff seemed to work better & didnt appear to attach itself to my ladles or pot the same as Marvelux (which I no longer use).

Anyone know if the LETS' Flux is still available, or a suitable substitute?

FWIW I do also use pine sawdust / shavings in conjunction with the LETS' when smelting.

Thanks

jmort
03-07-2014, 10:16 AM
If you are looking for a one two punch, sawdust and wax, paraffin or bees wax works well.

dragon813gt
03-07-2014, 10:24 AM
If you are looking for a one two punch, sawdust and wax, paraffin or bees wax works well.

Yep, this is what I use. Sawdust first and then the paraffin to bind together all the small debris that's left.

Uncle Jim
03-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Same here

Walter Laich
03-07-2014, 12:08 PM
just sawdust here

PbHurler
03-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I too have used gulfwax & sawdust with great results. I may just retire what's left of the LETS' Flux as a reminder of days gone by.

lockinload
03-15-2014, 10:27 AM
How much saw dust do you use?

bangerjim
03-15-2014, 12:57 PM
How much saw dust do you use?

Enough to get the job done! Just throw some in the pot to cover the surface and stir....stir....stir. with a wooden stick (paint paddle). Add wax on the 2nd and 3rd application to really reduce the Sn and Sb back in.

You will end with a shiny silver surface!

Don't waste good primer/powder money on commercial fluxing stuff.

banger

lockinload
03-16-2014, 08:06 AM
I have a product I use for clean up on floors. It's called "clean sweep". It would appear to be a course saw dust that has a wax like substance on it and it picks up everything on the floor.
Curious if any of you would attempt to use a product like this to flux?