PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Grilled Sandwiches

MaryB
03-07-2014, 02:54 AM
I stumbled across this sandwich working my very first electronic repair job in Springfield MN.

Springfield Sandwich as served at the Springfield Cafe

thick slices of roast beef
thick slices of sourdough bread
swiss cheese
thousand island dressing
sliced tomato
butter

Butter one side of the bread and put it butter side down in your pan
Add a slice of swiss on top of each slice of bread
add the roast beef on top of one slice with the dressing on top of that
put the tomato on the other slice of bread
grill until the bread is toasted and the cheese melted, flip the tomato said onto the meat side and serve with extra dressing on the side

Good use of canned or leftover roast beef, reheat in a little stock first. This is messy to eat, I use a knife and fork because the way I make it they are over an inch thick of fillings

Reg
03-07-2014, 05:00 AM
This one I will write down !!!!!!

338RemUltraMag
03-07-2014, 05:43 AM
I love me a grilled turkey sandwich!

uscra112
03-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Grilled cheese and BACON! Homemade whole wheat bread, (or sourdough) in a cast iron spyder with a quarter stick of REAL BUTTER.

smokeywolf
03-07-2014, 06:11 AM
We had tuna melts last night for dinner.

Not grilled, but try putting ham and swiss on a french or hogie roll. Mayo on the ham side, yellow mustard on the cheese side. Sprinkle a liberal coverage of oregano leaf between the swiss cheese and the mustard. Wrap it in aluminum foil and throw it in the oven or toaster oven. You just want the cheese to melt and the sandwich to be thoroughly and completely warm. Use your own judgement on heat and time.

smokeywolf

6bg6ga
03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Do you recommend using a Panini Grill to make this sandwich?

smokeywolf
03-07-2014, 07:25 AM
6bg6ga, I've never used a Panini Grill or Press, so maybe you'll have to try it and let me know.

Hickory
03-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Grilled cheese sandwich, with sauteed jalapeno and onion.

6bg6ga
03-07-2014, 07:32 AM
6bg6ga, I've never used a Panini Grill or Press, so maybe you'll have to try it and let me know.

I thought maybe you would tell me it would work so I can justify the purchase of one with the wife. Always wanted a Panini Grill. She says I have enough toys.

smokeywolf
03-07-2014, 07:46 AM
I thought maybe you would tell me it would work so I can justify the purchase of one with the wife. Always wanted a Panini Grill. She says I have enough toys.

Enough toys? As Groucho would say, "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever hoid"

smokeywolf

6bg6ga
03-07-2014, 07:51 AM
The Mrs. has 125 pair of shoes and all I want is a few more toys. I'm going to get one.

Lloyd Smale
03-07-2014, 08:17 AM
I like a patty melt. Venison burger with rye swirl bread and swiss cheese and fried onion. Some homemade fries with gravy on them and its heaven.

smokeywolf
03-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Oh Lloyd! You're speaking my language.

Flyman
03-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Coat the outside with olive oil mayo instead of butter. It browns well, adds an interesting flavor, and helps a bit with the "guilt factor".

Janoosh
03-07-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm reading this after breakfast (oatmeal)...and now I'm starving!!!!

TheDoctor
03-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Griled BLT with a hard fried egg on it, or get some corned beef and homemade sauerkraut and do a ruben!

sidecarmike
03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Old fashioned grilled cheese, but using Havarti cheese, sliced thick, on Italian bread. You can add some thin sliced Black Forest ham, but I prefer mine without.
You'll never eat a Velveeta sandwich again.
BTW If you buy at the deli counter of the local Walmart, they always have a special deal where you get 1 pound of meat and 1/2 pound of cheese for $9. The clerks are usually lazy enough that they over slice on both. Nine times out of ten you end up with 2 pounds or more for the $9 as opposed to $7 a pound for each.

dragon813gt
03-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I guess I'm a simple man. I use thin sliced homemade white bread buttered on both sides, provolone cheese and tomatoes from the garden. Even adding the tomatoes makes it more than a grilled cheese sandwich ;)

Beerd
03-07-2014, 03:44 PM
A grilled PB & J sammie ain't bad.

Bullshop Junior
03-07-2014, 04:03 PM

The thought of that makes me gag...

wlc
03-07-2014, 04:21 PM
The thought of that makes me gag...

Don't knock it till you try it...

One of my favorites, though I don't get it very often is a Monte Cristo. Ham, turkey and cheese on a fairly dry French toast(or white bread, batter the whole thing and deep fry it). It is served with raspberry jam or jelly. Pretty yummy.

Second favorite is a French Dip. Thinly sliced roast beef on a buttered, toasted hoagie roll with swiss. Dip in au jus'.

Dale in Louisiana
03-07-2014, 05:45 PM
On your cast iron griddle:

Heat the griddle and melt a tablespoon of butter on it. Slice a good roll or two. Put face-down on the griddle to toast.

Somewhere on the side, have an onion sliced, ready to go, and a half-pound of good roast beef, thinly sliced. I get this at the deli counter of the local grocery. They sell a great Cajun roast beef, exactly what I want.

Bread's toasted? Good! Set it aside, toss a little more butter on the griddle, toss the onions on there, saute' them a bit and shove them off to the side. On the greasy griddle, drop a couple of handfuls of sliced beef, one for each sandwich.

Assemble the sandwiches, piling onions and roast beef. I don't add mustard or mayonnaise to mine. The butter, onions and roast beef are flavor enough.

dale in Louisiana

DougGuy
03-07-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm getting a sandwich press, old school style smooth one not none of this yuppie a$$ panini lookin mess with griddle lines all in it..

Down on the Mississippi Gulf Coast we make po boys, which are usually either roast beef w/gravy, or shrimp/crab/oyster. The trick to the real deal po boy, is not using hoagie buns but a fresh made French bread that is light and airy in the middle, with a thin crust, one where the middle squashes easily and doesn't try to squirt the insides out and all down your shirt/pants leg. This -real deal- po boy bread is ELUSIVE as unicorn horn once you get away from the coast. It's baked with no preservatives, and a good po boy restaurant might get deliveries from the bakery more than once a day, so your sandwich bread is really fresh, and even that adds to how squishy the inside is. This, is *critical* to making a proper po boy! The sandwich press is optional, but the way they are served down there is often "pressed and dressed" meaning lettuce, tomato, mayo, and presssed in the sandwich press to brown the top and bottom of the bread. NOW, we talkin!

I will post a recipe for this po boy bread soon, I want the sandwich press on hand so I can make a real deal crabmeat po boy and test it out, I will post the recipe for it after I know it works correctly.

Edit: Offered $20, seller took it, hope it works like everything else made back when this one was made! http://www.ebay.com/itm/280823454383?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

dragonrider
03-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Grilled peanut butter and cheese on Italian bread.

sidecarmike
03-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Grilled peanut butter and cheese on Italian bread.
What kind of cheese?

clyde-the-pointer
03-07-2014, 11:16 PM
I like me dem turkee ruebens. Great sour taste w/o the guilt of corned processed beef. Yessir.

MaryB
03-07-2014, 11:37 PM
My panini press has reversible plates, smooth or ridged. I prefer the smooth side, makes more crunch

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2014, 06:51 AM
my wife eats oatmeal everyday. I call it grewl!! Im more of a sausage and bacon guy. Might live 5 years less but ill enjoy my time here.
I'm reading this after breakfast (oatmeal)...and now I'm starving!!!!

Janoosh
03-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Lloyd Smale, cholesterol and high blood pressure run in my family. Im just trying to postpone the genetic inevitable...but I'll definitely try some of these sammiches...liking the cheese, jalopeno one.

6bg6ga
03-08-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm on Lloyd's side. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart damage. Will probably not live a full life and don't give a rats butt. I said to heck with the cholesterol pills..cause muscle problems and I eat what I darn well please. If I want a darn sandwich I'm going to have one.

6bg6ga
03-08-2014, 08:45 AM
My panini press has reversible plates, smooth or ridged. I prefer the smooth side, makes more crunch

I'd rather have a smooth one myself but will settle for something that works well. Not into the trendy stuff...too old.

JSnover
03-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Grilled Reuben or monte christo.

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2014, 04:57 PM
I take blood pressure and colesteral meds every day right along with my bacon and eggs in the morning ;) When i die i want it quick with a piece of bacon in my mouth and a bud in my hand!!
I'm on Lloyd's side. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart damage. Will probably not live a full life and don't give a rats butt. I said to heck with the cholesterol pills..cause muscle problems and I eat what I darn well please. If I want a darn sandwich I'm going to have one.

Janoosh
03-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Fellers...just because I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast doesn't mean I'm not thinking about having that Monte cristo and a High Life for lunch!! Or perhaps dinner if I'm not at work! !

Col4570
03-09-2014, 04:32 AM

Is that a grilled Patched Ball.Sorry but being from across the pond the abreviations are greek to me.

Hard_Cast
03-09-2014, 05:18 AM
my wife eats oatmeal everyday. I call it grewl!! Im more of a sausage and bacon guy. Might live 5 years less but ill enjoy my time here.

Its gruel. And only 1 letter short from cruel...

DHurtig
03-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Always had a weakness for ham and swiss with a spicy mustard on rye bread. Even better with a good bowl of home made bean soup.

Col4570
03-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Thick Slice of Bread dipped in beaten Egg then fried in lard and topped with grated Chedder and Bacon and Pickled Jalapenos.
The following day eat only lettuce as a penance for your previous indulgence.

Changeling
03-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Some really good pastromi, HOT, on some great rye bread (fresh) with some great deli mustard !

Best I ever had was in New York, wasn't cheap, but man what a memorable sandwitch! I make them at home now but the key is "awesome pastromi", stll one of the all time best sandwitches!!!!

Just don't like NY city

PS. There is a new mustard brand on the market called "Koops" there deli M is as good as I have ever had in my life!!!!!!!::-D

Janoosh
03-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Most of my biznez is in NYC. So I get to try all sorts of sandwiches. And yes, ppastrami is expensive there. I view NYC like going to the circus, a fun place to visit....then I gotta get home and back to reality....
I had my first Cuban sandwich there. Which for those that don't know, is a grilled sandwich.
Col4570....now....that....sounds like a great sandwich. ..

dragonrider
03-13-2014, 08:33 PM
What kind of cheese?

A good sharp cheddar.

catmandu
03-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Is that a grilled Patched Ball.Sorry but being from across the pond the abreviations are greek to me.

PB & J = Peanut Butter & Jellie sandwich

Shiloh
03-17-2014, 08:20 PM
It changes.

Current favorite is roast beef or shredded roast beef, mushrooms and Swiss cheese. I saute the mushrooms in olive oil and butter with salt and garlic powder granules. This is great on a New York salt rye bread available fresh baked from the local grocery store.

Shiloh

Changeling
03-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Hi Doug, can't believe you found that "OLD" press, I've been looking for one for years (same reasons).

When you get that French bread recipe figured out I would really appreciate a "Hollar" from you. That is the bread I have been looking for also! Everyone around here (Maryland) likes that stuff that is extremely "Chewy", why I will never figure out! Maybe they just haven't had it done right!!
Change.

I'm getting a sandwich press, old school style smooth one not none of this yuppie a$$ panini lookin mess with griddle lines all in it..

Down on the Mississippi Gulf Coast we make po boys, which are usually either roast beef w/gravy, or shrimp/crab/oyster. The trick to the real deal po boy, is not using hoagie buns but a fresh made French bread that is light and airy in the middle, with a thin crust, one where the middle squashes easily and doesn't try to squirt the insides out and all down your shirt/pants leg. This -real deal- po boy bread is ELUSIVE as unicorn horn once you get away from the coast. It's baked with no preservatives, and a good po boy restaurant might get deliveries from the bakery more than once a day, so your sandwich bread is really fresh, and even that adds to how squishy the inside is. This, is *critical* to making a proper po boy! The sandwich press is optional, but the way they are served down there is often "pressed and dressed" meaning lettuce, tomato, mayo, and presssed in the sandwich press to brown the top and bottom of the bread. NOW, we talkin!

I will post a recipe for this po boy bread soon, I want the sandwich press on hand so I can make a real deal crabmeat po boy and test it out, I will post the recipe for it after I know it works correctly.

Edit: Offered $20, seller took it, hope it works like everything else made back when this one was made! http://www.ebay.com/itm/280823454383?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

JimA
03-24-2014, 08:25 AM
I take blood pressure and colesteral meds every day right along with my bacon and eggs in the morning ;) When i die i want it quick with a piece of bacon in my mouth and a bud in my hand!!

I'm with you Lloyd! Substitute a beer with some kick (home grown craft) and I'm there.... Bacon and eggs all the way, with occasional sausage and fried 'taters.

Hickok
03-24-2014, 07:07 PM
I thought it was spelled "samitch!":redneck:

jroc
04-16-2014, 02:12 AM
Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff. Oh ya

Dryball
04-16-2014, 03:55 AM
All these recipes sound great. However, I do things a little different... whatever grilled sammie I'm makin I "butter" the bread with bacon grease. OOOh so much better

sthwestvictoria
04-16-2014, 05:43 AM
Grated cheese, grated carrot and Rogan Josh curry paste. Divine.

Here in Australia they may be called Jaffles (I think related to an old trade name*) and made over the campfire with a cast iron or pressed steel jaffle iron:
Or on an electric jaffle maker.

*the Australian etymology is interesting in that I know them a jaffles which is apparently an Australian and South African name (my mother is from South Africa) however I grew up in Western Australia. In South Australia they stare at you blankly, then realise you mean a Breville which is what they call a toasted sandwich, the eponymous name coming from a electrical good manufacturer who makes the electric Breville Toasted Sandwich maker.

opos
04-16-2014, 01:30 PM
My favorite is American cheese..white "finger print" bread and Deviled ham mixed with mustard...all grilled with lots of butter...my Wife calls it "grilled cheese and Alpo"...careful...it drips and drops all over everything but uuuuuummmmm good.

The other one is cold, not toasted, Cheddar cheese...again on white "finger print" bread...lots of mayo and 4 slices of crisp bacon on top...Call the E/R and make a reservation!!

MT Gianni
04-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Grated cheese, grated carrot and Rogan Josh curry paste. Divine.

Here in Australia they may be called Jaffles (I think related to an old trade name*) and made over the campfire with a cast iron or pressed steel jaffle iron:
Or on an electric jaffle maker.

*the Australian etymology is interesting in that I know them a jaffles which is apparently an Australian and South African name (my mother is from South Africa) however I grew up in Western Australia. In South Australia they stare at you blankly, then realise you mean a Breville which is what they call a toasted sandwich, the eponymous name coming from a electrical good manufacturer who makes the electric Breville Toasted Sandwich maker.

My wife calls those "poogie pies" and makes a hot ham and cheese or blueberry, raspberry, apple pie filling inbetween buttered bread. Great for over a campfire.

gwpercle
04-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Grilled....Cuban sandwich, Muffaletta if in New Orleans.

TXGunNut
04-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Coat the outside with olive oil mayo instead of butter. It browns well, adds an interesting flavor, and helps a bit with the "guilt factor".

...or regular mayo or even Miracle Whip (or so I've heard).....and there's no guilt factor in comfort food. In case of emergencies, unhealthy things happen and the improvement in mental health somewhat offsets the hit to the physical health.

TXGunNut
04-19-2014, 12:21 AM
A good sharp cheddar.

Yes, of course.

TXGunNut
04-19-2014, 12:32 AM
I will post a recipe for this po boy bread soon, I want the sandwich press on hand so I can make a real deal crabmeat po boy and test it out, I will post the recipe for it after I know it works correctly.-DougGuy

Get on with the sammich recipe, French bread is the most basic (and easy) bread recipe ever. Can even pick up a loaf at many grocery stores on the way home.

TXGunNut
04-19-2014, 12:35 AM
Panini (sammich) press? That's for folks that don't have a 10" and an 8" cast iron skillet. No need wasting precious space in the "appliance garage".

KYShooter73
04-19-2014, 02:23 AM
A dark rye Reuben grilled with plenty of butter. I also love to fry onions with a beef bullion cube and butter, put them on a French roll, add steak and swiss, toast in the oven. Then I make a dipping sauce with a little starch, beef bullion and worscheshire. My 2 favorite sammichs.