PDA

View Full Version : Don't get on much, then felled by a heart attack this January

partsman57
03-07-2014, 02:25 AM
So I survived, got a couple stents, and am now legal to drive again and am back to work on a graduated return for the next month, hopefully now that they fixed me up and found out I am a diabetic that I can live a healthier life.

jmort
03-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Thank God you are on the mend as back at it.

GaryN
03-07-2014, 02:50 AM
My wife did the same thing only ten years ago. Welcome to the forum!!

William Yanda
03-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Stay on top of the Diabetes-secondary effects are not nice.

Hickok
03-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Partsman, welcome to the group. My prayers for your health and welfare!

jcwit
03-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Follow the Dr's orders. Watch what you eat. Glad things are looking up.

blackthorn
03-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the forum! As jcwit says--- follow Drs. orders and watch what you eat. I watched a good friend die bit by bit because he would not do as directed, so stay on top of the diabetes! 5 years ago they told me I am "pre-diabetic" (sort of like being "a little bit pregnant"). So far diet and exercise have prevented my diabetes from progressing. I have been successful enough to not need any medication so far. Good luck!

mold maker
03-07-2014, 02:46 PM
My Mom lived for over 40 years after diagnosis with diabetes. She also had MS for a little longer. BTW it was cancer that finally took her at 93.
Diabetes is one of the only killer diseases that you are almost totally in charge of. Mom managed hers and lived a full and productive life. I've had it for over 14 years and so far I'm good to go. Just don't fool your self into thinking you can cheat. Go take the classes and follow the rules. Your life does depend on it.

Wayne Smith
03-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Have your MD prescribe the Diabetic Education classes. They are well worth it and your insurance should pay if prescribed. Learn to count your carbs, lose fat, and exercise. Those are the keys to living diabetic. When I say exercise I mean do so through sweating, not a leisurely walk around the block. Lose fat - insulin resistance is caused by organ and belly fat.

Read labels. Limit yourself to 45gms carbs per meal and half of that between meals. Never eat carbs without protein in the mix.

If you are not now, start measuring your blood sugar. Fasting should never go over 125, over that and you are doing damage to your body. Post prandial (2 hrs. after eating) it should not be over 180. Use the post prandial numbers to evaluate what you ate. Numbers over 180 and you had too many carbs in the meal. Give yourself a couple of months to six months to get all this under control.

blackthorn
03-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Wayne---I use a "One Touch Ultra 2" machine to test. It gives results in numbers such as 5.6, 7.2. 10.4 etc. It does not read-out as 125, 180 etc. Can you tell me how to convert/compare these obviously different systems? Thanks!

MaryB
03-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Sounds like your meter needs a setting changed, call the company...

I have a clotting issue and test every 2 weeks, takes a good sized blob of blood. Finally got my own meter to test at home after 6 months of 50 mile round trips twice a month. Much better and the exact same one my doc uses.

27judge
03-09-2014, 12:30 PM
I had a shortness of breath and a burning in the chest back around 15th FEB . I finally said enough is enough and when to see the heart man on the morning of the 19th . Bing Bang and Boom I was on the table 3 pm on the 20th , 85 % blockage in the center artery. Put a stent in and I was home 4 pm on the 21st. December of 2012 I had 2 stents put in . Well I think my hard head has seen the light. I cut out all fried foods, cut out the Booze went on a fairly decent diet .This heart thing is nothing to fool with. Lost 8 lbs so far and I have a long way to go. Don't put off any abnormal pains etc in the chest , todays methods are to quick and easy to fix the problem tks Ken IM glad to be here !!!

smokesahoy
03-10-2014, 02:35 AM
Wayne---I use a "One Touch Ultra 2" machine to test. It gives results in numbers such as 5.6, 7.2. 10.4 etc. It does not read-out as 125, 180 etc. Can you tell me how to convert/compare these obviously different systems? Thanks!
Better hope those aren't your a1c numbers hehe. Sounds like it isn't calibrated or broken or something.

MaryB
03-10-2014, 04:35 AM
I tried looking it up, sounds like it is set in European mode

blackthorn
03-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Seems like all the meters around here are the same. The clinic (?) I attend once or twice a year are happy with the numbers it produces so it is not broken or anything. I am just curious about the number transposition to the numbers relayed here.

gbrown
03-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Great to hear that things are on the up-swing for you. My best friend, from our high school days (he and I started reloading back then) died in 2009 at 63 because he played with his diabetes. My wife was diagnosed in 2010 with diabetes and after a rocky start--bad MDs--got on track. Stay on top of it. Miss my friend, he was my reloading buddy and a world of knowledge about it. He just couldn't "walk the walk," so to speak. Sad.

Polecat
03-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Glad you are mending. The heart dr's can fix if you do your part. I had a six bypass in 95 I've had 14 stints sense then. servied prostate canaer, and a mini stroke. I can still do some labor. The diabetis is another story. Wally world has a meter for $16.95 and test strips for $9.00 for 50 Hang in there.

Wayne Smith
03-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Frankly I'm not sure. I would contact the maker, they all have websites. I have the Aviva AccuCheck, it is my third meter. The Bayer was not as accurate, tended to read high. My diabetes is currently controlled by diet and exercise. If you need medication to get your blood sugar under control, use it. If you can do it with discipline, do it.

You may have a machine that is set to read out in the European standard, I believe most can be reset.

Does anyone know if partsman has been back to read this?

MaryB
03-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Dang wish my INR test strips were that cheap, I am paying $55 per 12 but I only test every 2 weeks. I do save the gold off the strips, might get a gram or so a year.