PDA

View Full Version : 135 gr 300 Blackout load suggetions, Handi Rifle

outsidebear
03-07-2014, 01:26 AM
My mind is aswirl looking around trying to find load information for the various cast and jacketed bullet weights, to say nothing of the powders n' load info. Be nice if someone puts together an easily referenced reloading book on just the 300 Blackout, cast n' jacketed bullets.

Rifle: Handi Rifle AAC 300 Blackout.

Cast bullet:
135 gr RNFP
Plain base
.309 diameter
Brinell 18

Powders on hand:
H110
Unique
FFg :)

Anyone worked with this/similar bullet weight? Any suggested starting loads.
Not looking to push this bullet beyond plain base velocities, say 1250 fps - 1400 fps.
Yes, can substitute powder charges for jacketed bullets, but they push the velocity too fast.
Any suggestions on where to look, or information shared with what you've been using
would be greatly appreciated.
thank you for your time

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-08-2014, 12:40 AM
for target shooting from a single shot , start with about 6 gr unique I bet that will get you right about what your looking for between 6 and 7.5 gr

I know i have seen loads listed for heavier bullets in every other powder you have in your list besides FFg, but I bet FFg with a compressed load would get you decent 32-20 type loads black powder needs to be compressed if you don't fill the case with powder you finish it with dry cream of wheat , grits , or corn meal , remember to put your cases in hot soapy water on the way home form the range and rinse and dry them at home , clean the barrel well flushing it with water then oiling when dry , and use a natural lube like bees wax and lard

10 gr unique is kind of a universal load for 1200-1400 fps in most 30 cal service rifles and a cast boolit, being the smaller case you will want less I know I have seen recommendations for 7.62x39 for 8 gr

you usually need about 4 gr to get clean burn with unique in a larger case , you could definitely start there and when you find your accuracy at 50 yards your good

i have a co-worker who loads for 300 blackout he just took delivery of his can to go on his pistol length gas system sbr ar15 in 300 black out he has me on the look out for aa1680 as he said it is the best for the sub sonic loads , I also found sub sonic and super sonic data for 5744

here is more data for 300 with some data for h110 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?198959-300-blackout-subsonic-cb-load-data

loads for 1680 and 5744 http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf

outsidebear
03-09-2014, 03:34 AM
Talked with some folks at a local gun show this afternoon, about 300 Blackout loads. Sure is a variety of loads to work with!
Will use Unique to begin with, then go from there. My use is in the AAC Handi Rifle, which I've modified some for my own personal preferences. Tonight finished adding a front sight, now will come up with a proper peep sight, just need to decide on which one will work with the front sight. Installed side mounted sling a couple of months ago. Very handy this setup is.

Thank you for your time and information shared, it's appreciated.

Jailer
03-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Don't rule out some fast pistol powders for what you want to do. Titegroup, 231, bullseye. Around 4gr of any of the ones I mentioned should be a good starting point.

I have a new 300 blk handi rifle that I have yet to shoot. Got it for jr and put a cheap Primary Arms red dot on it. Man these things are tiny.

quilbilly
03-09-2014, 01:27 PM
My load for a 32-20 Contender is about 9 gr of 2400. I will bet that will work on your blackout as well. The 32-20 and 300 Blk are similar in size cases.

Scout800a
03-10-2014, 12:19 AM
+1 Jailer. My blackout is an AR so I cant play with fast burning powders. thought about getting one like yours just because of that

rockshooter
03-10-2014, 05:36 PM
where did you get the front sight? I also have an H&R and want to put a receiver rear sight on it.
Loren

outsidebear
03-11-2014, 09:10 PM
rockshooter,
sent you an email reply, as it's rather lengthy!

In a nutshell, http://bulletbutton.com/ makes them, look in their SKS parts section: SKS Paratrooper sight

scattershot
03-12-2014, 02:57 PM
I don't know anything about the 300 Blackout, but the guys over on greybeardoutdoors.com seem pretty conversant with that round and Handis in general.

wlc
03-16-2014, 06:08 PM
+1 Jailer. My blackout is an AR so I cant play with fast burning powders. thought about getting one like yours just because of that

You don't need a new rifle just to use the fast burning pistol powders (unless you WANT a new rifle:)). Just use your AR as a straight pull bolt action. I load some 180 grain Noslers over green dot for a stupidly quiet plinker round in mine.

nrc
03-17-2014, 02:05 PM
1680 works better for me with subs than it does with supersonics. Conversely H110 works much better with supersonics than it does with subs.

For a 135 grain boolit, I'd use H110 exclusively and would load them all supersonic.

I would save my 1680 for other other calibers and / or for heavier blackout subsonic rounds.

Just my 2c.