PDA

View Full Version : Federal primers in my Lee Pro 1000

Hankster1962
03-07-2014, 01:24 AM
Not to long ago I ended up purchasing a large quantity of Federal primers in both small and large pistol. I also own a newly acquired Lee Pro 1000 which comes comes with a warning from Lee Precision to not use them with the Lee 1000.
Rules are broken all the time. Has anybody out them ever used them in the Pro 1000?. I have used 1000's of Federal primers in my auto index Lee turret and Rockchucker presses without a hitch, as well as my RCBS hand priming unit, Lee hand press and have never had any issues with Federal primers. Looking for as much feedback as I can get on this issue.

44Vaquero
03-07-2014, 05:50 AM
Hankster1962,

I have used Federal, Winchester and CCI in all of my Lee equipment interchangeably for years! Never set one off yet? The trick with any progressive is if you meet resistance stop and find out why? Do not push harder!!! EVER!!! Oh and wear your safety glasses.

joelitespeed
03-07-2014, 11:04 AM
I have used all types of primers in the the lee press...I have never had an issue. Your Mileage may Vary.

Hankster1962
03-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. Thirty years of reloading many different calibers and I have never had a primer go off. Like any other experienced reloader, you gain a sixth sense when priming cases. I have never used a progressive press, closest is with my auto index Lee turret. This is a new experience for me. I will cautiously give it a try, and yes joelitespeed, I wear a face shield, I agree that it is a must. Again, thanks guys.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-09-2014, 02:30 AM
One thing to be aware of is, if you do set off a Federal primer in the Lee Auto Prime II, which if my memory serves is the primer system on the Pro 1000, you stand a reasonably decent chance of setting all the primers in the primer tray off aka a chain ignition situation. So be especially careful.

fguffey
03-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Then there is R. Lee's book on modern reloading. He said he did not test Federal primers because Federal did not donate primers to be tested.

F. Guffey

6bg6ga
03-09-2014, 07:24 AM
As with ANY primer caution should be exercised. Proper eye wear and power/primer loacation to the press as well as some type of safety shield is recommended. As to the selection pf that primer I have seen people load with the Lee and all brands of primer were used with no problems. The statement is probably a result of their lawyer getting into things and trying to cover their collective arses.

SGTM9
03-09-2014, 08:55 AM
IHave found federal primer cups to be softer than most. I started with the lee whack a mole method lost track of the primers that went bang during seating. Even my hand prime warns to only load 25 federals at a time.

zuke
03-09-2014, 08:57 AM
LEE sell's an explosion shield for a reason. If your going against their direct instruction's, spend $5 and get one.
Federal primer's have more residue, hence the advice against their use in the priming area's. Clean the residue out and you'll be OK

44Vaquero
03-09-2014, 12:08 PM
From a purely anecdotal stand point I find it interesting that I can very easily find a dozen or more pictures of regular primer tube explosions (With resulting shotgun patterns on the ceiling) and only one photography documented Lee Load-master/Pro-1000 incident.

While I do not think it's safe to assume that it can never happen, it most likely does not happen as often as believed. When you factor in the vast quantity Lee Pro-1000's and Load-Master's being used, I am inclined to think it is a rare event!

Any hobby has inherent dangers and proper precautions should always be taken. Things happen fast on any progressive, My biggest rule is: If it I meet any resistance during the reloading cycle I STOP and find out why! I believe that this simple rule has avoided a great many accidents and mishaps! YMMV

Moonie
03-11-2014, 02:17 PM
I was using federal in my Loadmaster and had a chain explosion, blew the entire priming system off the press and cut my lip. I was wearing safety glasses. I now have the blast shield for press.

DxieLandMan
03-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I've used them in my Lee Pro 1000 but found it to be a pain so now I use the hand primer.

Idz
03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
I prefer hand priming because you can feel the primer seat. I've never been able to feel the seating in my Lee Pro 1000. Since some 45acp comes with small pockets it would be dramatic trying to push in a LPP. Somebody once said the Federal primers use a more sensitive explosive so is less forgiving.