PDA

View Full Version : Savage 219 , plan C... D ..... or something .........

Jack Stanley
03-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Got my new mainspring from Numrich yesterday , so today after daily errands was done I went after it . New spring was about a half inch longer than the old one and the coils were evenly spaced . So my guess the old one was collapsed was probably right . I bought a new striker assembly while I had them on the phone , sort of a "just in case I mess it up move " .

Putting it back together even when I was the one taking it apart is sort of like one of those metal ring puzzles we fooled with as kids . But the advice from another post of have time to do it and don't get in a hurry helped .

Got it all back together and took it out back for a test shot and it still gave a light strike . So I called a gunshop in the next county with a decent reputation for fixing things right . The man said that the firing pin might be to short .... well it didn't look like it was to short or broken . So I might just have to take it to him to get it running (sigh) I hate it when that happens .

Jack

richhodg66
03-06-2014, 10:17 PM
I recently picked up a Savage 219 in .22 Hornet. The seller let me test fire a shot to make sure it worked, but I haven't really shot it yet, still cleaning up the bore.

What was the issue with yours? I'd heard they have problems with broken firing pins so first thing, I bought a set of snap caps. The trigger pull on mine is very nice, I think I'm going to like this rifle.

Jack Stanley
03-09-2014, 09:25 AM
It didn't look like it was broken but the end wasn't pretty either . Hmmm now that I think about it , the tip may have been damaged and someone tried to round over the end shortening it in the process .

My guess is it only needed another twenty thousanths or so to make it work . When I had it apart I should have measured how far the pin extended from the striker assembly . I think the length is supposed to be .450" or there abouts .

Jack

geargnasher
03-16-2014, 10:42 PM
OK, Jack, I finally went through mine. LAWDY!!! What a royal pain. You're a stud if you can get that thing back together without any instructions.

I noticed from one of your other threads on the subject that yours is missing the lever return spring and the end of the bar that cocks the safety (where the end of the lever return spring goes) is broken off. That could be a problem. Did you get those parts too? Mine won't allow me to hold the lever to the side and pull the trigger because it is holding the safety back fully. If the end of your auto-safety cock/lever return plunger is missing, you would be able to operate the safety independent of the lever and "drop" the striker by holding the lever to one side and pulling the trigger as you mentioned in another thread.

To answer your original question here, mine has a single mainspring, though I was having a coil-bind condition that made it tough to break the action open even when fully operating the release lever. I spent literally all day honing and stoning and filing to get all the internal operations synced-up and slicked-up. MUCH better now, but I'm a little worried about light strikes since I had to cut a full coil off the mainspring. Only one way to find out.

BTW, did you mock-up your action without the main spring and check to see if the striker was binding?

Gear