PDA

View Full Version : Scrap ID

sirsloop
03-06-2014, 08:39 PM
I made a trip over to the local scrap yard to see what was in the lead bin. I was pretty lucky and scored about 30-40# of 40/60&50/50 and another ~10# 95/5 solder. Even had a OLDDDD 25# bag of what looks like #8 shot in there too :) Snagged those up at $.65/lbs :-D

Anyways, They also had these rods in there that seemed like a harder alloy of lead. They are malleable, somewhat but brittle. They came taped up in these little packs. Has anyone seen these or know what they are? I dont think they are zinc... I can easily cut then with side cutters, they are heavy-ish, non-magnetic.

http://tmp.smugmug.com/photos/i-Bs54sWB/0/XL/i-Bs54sWB-XL.jpg

http://tmp.smugmug.com/photos/i-KBcf8Fh/0/XL/i-KBcf8Fh-XL.jpg

Thanks!

PS first post...been lurking for a while and finally decided to join up. 8-)

Hardcast416taylor
03-06-2014, 09:26 PM
My guess is either body solder from a repair shop or solder from some manufacturing plant that did solder work on electronics.Robert

John Boy
03-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Twist a strip to se if it 'creaks' when bent. If so, it's tin strips cost in a duck anchor mold

Defcon-One
03-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Yep, Solder :: Tin/Lead!

You probably won't be able to know which type without doing some testing!

sirsloop
03-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Yeah I was thinking auto body lead solder. Kinda reminds me of brazing rods with the paint on the end like that. Its pretty soft stuff... I can just barely put a dent in it with my finger nail. Some pieces I can twist like 3-4 times before they finally break. Some break after bout a half twist, no creaking. A pair of pliers easily dents it. Maybe I'll just throw it in with a batch of roofing material and call it a day.

Thanks!

bangerjim
03-06-2014, 10:50 PM
It's solder. It has tin. Nuff said.

Just add it to your mix if you have problems filling out. I would not worry about the exact content unless you reeeeeeeeeeeeely want to know. There are too many different mixed of tin/lead/silver/ant/unobtanium out there to really know! Just add some and check fill-out.

You will have to have an Xray gun analysis of it to really know. Does the yard you got it from have one? They should do it for you.

banger

BNE
03-06-2014, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=bangerjim;2671245]There are too many different mixed of tin/lead/silver/ant/unobtanium out there to really know! [QUOTE]

AMEN.