PDA

View Full Version : Bullshop Plate Lube and graphite/clay

Marlin Junky
12-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Has anyone tried to apply Bullshop Plate Lube to a hot mold that has had its sprue plate and block top treated with a #2 pencil while it was cold? I don't like casting with my molds even once if their sprue plates aren't lubed in some way and was wondering if applying the Bullshop Plate Lube to a hot mold that was already treated with a #2 pencil-lead is a good idea. In other words, will the Bullshop Plate Lube penetrate the pencil-lead and stick to the steel or iron alloy or will it just create a mess? I've tried the Bullshop Plate Lube and like it but it needs to be applied a few times during a long casting session so maybe it'll last longer if it's applied on top of #2 pencil-lead? Someone please stop me before I make a mess :-}

MJ

dromia
12-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry that I can't answer your direct question.

What I have found with BP lube is that at first it needs reapplying regularly but the frequency diminishes after time.

Moulds that needed treating a couple of times at first during a 500 bullet session only need treating once every couple of sessions now.

I'm talking two cavity iron moulds here, the Lee aluminium moulds two or six cavity still need regular applications.

I do think that it builds up with use and less applications are needed.

No doubt Dan will be able to give chapter and verse on this.

MT Gianni
12-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I put the corner of the mold in the melt nad warm it. Gianni

Bullshop
12-22-2007, 07:56 PM
No problem, the BP will just displace the graphite after a few casts.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Marlin Junky
12-22-2007, 11:01 PM
I put the corner of the mold in the melt nad warm it. Gianni

I guess I didn't do a complete job of explaining myself.

When I start a casting session, I first disassemble the mold, remove the rust inhibitor (clean and dry the mold), coat the bottom of the sprue plate and top of the mold block with #2 pencil-lead, reassemble the mold, set the sprue plate tension, mount the mold in the handles and place it on my hot plate at the same time I turn on my casting furnace. When the alloy is ready for casting so is the mold but it takes a few casts before the mold fills out at the base to the point where I can use the BP lube without the possibility of contaminating the cavities. After the mold is ready for BP lube I don't need the #2 pencil-lead anymore but there is a period of time where I need the graphite/clay "start-up" lube.

MJ

Marlin Junky
12-22-2007, 11:02 PM
No problem, the BP will just displace the graphite after a few casts.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Thank you Bullshop.

Blessings to you and Merry Christmas,

MJ