PDA

View Full Version : Ruger .327 mag

Ed1
03-06-2014, 04:02 PM
What do ya'll think of the Ruger .327 mag compared to the .357 mag, shooting, loading, casting, etc? I had a 357 and now I'm thinking about getting the 327.

Guesser
03-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Don't have a Ruger in 327 but I do have 2 others. The 327 is not a replacement for 357; It will compliment it. You really need both, I mean it; you really need both. I cast Lyman 311316 for the 327. Also nice is the usefulness of being able to plink with 32 S&W and Long and 32 H&R Magnum in the 327 revolver.
Really no comparison, merely the fact that they are complimentary. Like 357 is to 41 and 41 is to 44 and so on.

376Steyr
03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
The 327 has the potential to be a great target/small game cartridge. It is hampered by the guns that are made for it. You have the snub nosed "defense" revolvers, and the late 48 oz. Ruger Blackhawk. If it was offered as a 6" S&W K-frame it would be nifty.

monadnock#5
03-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I have a GP-100 and the Sp-101 in .327 and am very happy with both.

The only negative that I've heard associatied is that Ruger makes a rough barrel that requires several hundred jacketed or GC'ed boolits to smooth out enough for PB. This doesn't much matter to me. The loads I make up are pretty much firewalled, as these are Rugers, and that's what they were made for.

I don't know how to compare to .357, except maybe that I have a S&W Mod 19 that I baby and fuss over. The Rugers, while not nearly so pretty or desirable, see a lot more action, and the light of day much more often.

Ed1
03-06-2014, 05:10 PM
What I meant by "compare" was the recoil and casting the boolits. I just got into casting buckshot and want to try to cast other boolits.

monadnock#5
03-06-2014, 05:23 PM
As luck would have it, I have Ruger SP-101's in both .357 and .327. The .357 with magnum rounds is quite unpleasant to shoot. Not unmanageable, but distinctly unpleasant. Not so with the .327. Snappy, but I have no problem keeping them all in the black.
Now see what you've done? Now I've got to come up with a reason not to send the .357 down the road.

Ed1
03-06-2014, 05:29 PM
well, if you want to find a new home for it, I'll give it one.

monadnock#5
03-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Believe it or not, I will give this some thought.
A PM containing an offer not to be refused would be helpful.

Ed1
03-06-2014, 05:51 PM
PM sent

9.3X62AL
03-06-2014, 05:57 PM
The 327 has the potential to be a great target/small game cartridge. It is hampered by the guns that are made for it. You have the snub nosed "defense" revolvers, and the late 48 oz. Ruger Blackhawk. If it was offered as a 6" S&W K-frame it would be nifty.

HELL YES to this! And some more readily-available brass would be nice, too.

frankenfab
03-06-2014, 06:04 PM
I have been waiting since June for Starline to run my order of 327 brass. You guys please order some!

9.3X62AL
03-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Specific to this caliber, the lack of 327 Federal brass has most dissuaded me from any purchase of a revolver in this caliber. Generally, the lack of components and ammunition has DEEPLY cut into my recreational shooting for the past 2 years, and I wish I could say I miss doing it. Not very much, actually--the allied efforts of the government, lazy manufacturers, and greedy retailers have combined to form a large and convincing disincentive to recreational shooting for me. It is practically and logistically far simpler to grab my fishing tackle--hook up my boat to the truck--and take a fishing trip than it is to go shooting--and I live 12 miles from my range site, and 225 miles from Mission Bay. In 2012 and 2013, I went ocean fishing 3x as much as I went target shooting. THAT is how scarce components and ammo have become, and how damn much that condition upsets me off. I got out of 4 calibers last year, sold off almost a dozen firearms, and I see that trend continuing unless the makers pull their heads out and put some product on the shelves and keep it there.

Rant concluded.

contender1
03-07-2014, 12:30 PM
9.3x62AL,
Manufacturers are trying HARD to catch up with demand. Thanks to the media, AND liberal politicians who want to ban everything, MANY people who never bought a gun did so. Then the same people want ammo. Add in the fact that normal gun folks wanted to keep shooting & bought up all they can find, a HUGE demand has been created.
To blame the manufacturers for not keeping products on the shelves is a disservice to them. I have personally spoken with many of them in the industry & all are working as hard as they can to make as much as they can.
Realize that only a FEW companies have the capabilities to manufacture powder & primers.
Realize that ammo companies need both of those components to make their ammo. As such, they purchase a LOT more than the consumers. The manufacturers make more money when selling in bulk in one order than working hard at trying to fill thousands of small orders.
It's called "supply & demand" and "business." Yes, we have a HUGE demand, and the SUPPLY is short. But they are all working as hard as they can to catch up.

Many of us who enjoy shooting have not been affected by the shortages because we followed a BSA mentality; "Be Prepared." I personally buy a lot of my supplies in bulk, well ahead of my projected needs. As such, I have not had to change my shooting habits at all.

And to address the OP's caliber & questions;
I own a Ruger Blackhawk .327 myself. I bought one when they came out, and I bought 1000 pieces of brass from Freedom Arms. I also bought another 400 pieces of brass from a friend. I had no problems getting brass.
I also bought bullets, 1000 of them to get me started. I also ordered 2 bullet molds just for my 327. (It took over 2 years, but I got my 32 Sixgun Sledgehammer mold, here.)
I buy a lot of my powder in 8 lb kegs.
I recently cast several hundred .327 sixgun sledgehammer bullets, and they are awaiting the g/c & loading.

How does the .327 compare to .357?
I firmly feel that there is a place for both in a gun safe & on the range, or in the field.
Casting for either one isn't hard, and both give the results I desire.
I truly enjoy my .327 Blackhawk & have NO problems with it being in that sized frame. I can pick it up or a .357 & they feel very similar. Small game hunting to mid-sized game can be in trouble with the .327.

9.3X62AL
03-07-2014, 02:18 PM
C-1.....

Your thrust regarding the rhymes and reasons for the ammo/components shortage may be correct, I'm not in a position to know to a certainty. I do have supplies laid in, and in some depth--but I'm reluctant to expend what I have until I'm better able to back-fill the expenditures. What occurs to me is this--pray fervently that we stay the h--l OUT of a major shooting war with any nation or entity--if our suppliers can't hack it when sports shooters' usage increases, God help us if China or Russia get froggy.

M-Tecs
03-07-2014, 02:29 PM
A large part of the ammunition shortage is the Clinton/Gore privatization of the small arms ammo. Currently we have far more demand than we have manufacturing capabilities.

9.3X62AL
03-07-2014, 03:53 PM
A large part of the ammunition shortage is the Clinton/Gore privatization of the small arms ammo. Currently we have far more demand than we have manufacturing capabilities.

It still seems like the problem could be easily solved. Why the reluctance to do so?

M-Tecs
03-07-2014, 04:22 PM
When we had the arsenals for reserve manufacturing capability is was not a problem. Private companies can't afford to have trained people and equipment setting idle.

With the current regulations it takes years to get approval for and to construct the new manufacturing facilities. Federal Cartridge in Anoka MN is operating at 100% plus - 24/7 with unlimited overtime.

The military and DHS sales are projected to decrease as is the panic buying. As a private company the reluctance to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to expand manufacturing capabilities and to train people is understandable when the projections don't support these expenditures.

cbrick
03-07-2014, 07:31 PM
pray fervently that we stay the h--l OUT of a major shooting war with any nation or entity--if our suppliers can't hack it when sports shooters' usage increases, God help us if China or Russia get froggy.

One quick look at what's in the White House should calm your nerves. Little chance that the incapable of commanding anything will use the military for anything. As long as he's there our only concern should be learning the language of our latest conqueror's.

BTW . . . Uncle Sam's civil servants say that you should have the boolits on Monday or Tuesday. :mrgreen:

Rick

JHeath
03-07-2014, 07:47 PM

[purple]

Privatization is good. Now we just need to pass the Affordable Reloading Act, which addresses the needs of millions of Americans who have no ammo. Under the Individual Mandate, all gun owners will be required to purchase their own reloading equipment or pay a tax penalty. This will help take pressure off factory ammo producers, by making Americans more responsible for their ammo choices. Bringing more shooters "into the pool" as reloading purchasers will allow manufacturers to reduce the cost of progressive reloading presses, and distribute the burden of ammo production more fairly for middle and working-class Americans.

[end purple]

9.3X62AL
03-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Funny stuff, J Heath!

M-Tecs......"projections"......FedRemWin doesn't see this unceasing demand as actual intrinsic market growth? That is a tough one for me to accept.

Rick--most cool, sir. I'll take out the Eardrum Drill this weekend and empty some cases out on rats. Not too darn sure I want to set 32-20 cases aside for the 30 Carbine revo yet. I have 3 revolvers and 1 rifle in 32-20 to keep fed.

Time to steer this thread back on to its OP's topic. YES, I would likely buy a S&W K- or L-frame revolver in 327 Federal if it came with good sights and 6" barrel. A matching lever rifle by Marlin would NOT hurt my feelings, either.

jonp
03-08-2014, 01:22 AM
As luck would have it, I have Ruger SP-101's in both .357 and .327. The .357 with magnum rounds is quite unpleasant to shoot. Not unmanageable, but distinctly unpleasant. Not so with the .327. Snappy, but I have no problem keeping them all in the black.
Now see what you've done? Now I've got to come up with a reason not to send the .357 down the road.

Thats an understatement. I'm no shrinking violet to recoil in a handgun but a cylinder of full house 158gr was enough for me. 38's for practice and I carried 357.

9.3X62AL
03-08-2014, 01:42 AM
The 125 grain "FBI Load" in my 686 has significantly less felt recoil at 1425 FPS than does the 158 grain former service load at 1225 FPS. Based on that outcome, the 357 in one of those SP-101s might be more comfy firing the Federal #357B loading.

M-Tecs
03-08-2014, 12:32 PM
M-Tecs......"projections"......FedRemWin doesn't see this unceasing demand as actual intrinsic market growth? That is a tough one for me to accept.

Can't speak for any of them but I do have friends that work at Federal. After the panic buying is over the "rumor" is that sales will slump for several years just like they did after the past coupled of rounds of panic buying couple with Uncle Sam reducing purchases there appears to be some reluctance towards major capital investments to increase production.

The manufactures are doing their best to meet the current spike in demand but also aren’t spending huge amounts to radically increase production.

http://www.hornady.com/support/availability

Uncle Sam is paying 14 mil for this one.

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/04/olin-winchester-awarded-14-million-contract-for-army-ammo/

On a side note the company I work for just completed a 8.2 mil building. It’s amazing how little you get for 8.2 mil now days.

9.3X62AL
03-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Well, those folks at FedRemWin are in the business, and I hope they know what they are doing. 2 years of doing without 22 LR ammo on store shelves makes ya wonder, though.

monadnock#5
03-08-2014, 01:34 PM
The way I've been given to understand it, even under the best of circumstances, the capitalist design has a 4% to 6% unemployment number built into it. To go under that percentage (no risk of that for the foreseeable future eh?) would be to risk a start up enterprize not having enough qualified potential employees to choose from. Thus the enterprize fails without ever having been tested in the marketplace....How am I doing so far?

OK, so why wouldn't the ammo makers be willing to "make hay while the sun shines"? Are they turning their backs on capitalism?

robertbank
03-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Right now you would be hard pressed to find 4#s of 231 in the whole darn country up here. Primers seem to arrived in bulk (Win, Tula, Fed)
Powder of any kind is scarce as hens teeth. I scored 2K .22lr bulk from Canadian Tire last month. Now their shelves are empty. I should have bought the other 2K they had on the shelve.

Seems like I will be practicing with my .22lr revolver and pistol and saving the 38spl & 9MM for matches.

Take Care

Bob

M-Tecs
03-08-2014, 03:39 PM
OK, so why wouldn't the ammo makers be willing to "make hay while the sun shines"? Are they turning their backs on capitalism?

Everything that I have heard or read indicates that ALL manufactures are operating at 100% plus manufacturing capacity. What is unclear is how much they are spending or willing to spend in capital investment to expand their capacity.

Remington is spending 32 Mil on a new plant http://www.guns.com/2013/05/10/light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-remington-expands-ammo-plant-foreign-ammo-imports-double/

"Some companies have been reluctant to add additional manufacturing capabilities; if the demand for ammo comes to a point before they can recoup their costs, the manufacturers will be left holding rather large bills. Domestic ammo manufacturers have been operating at capacity for nearly a decade straight because so many companies are reluctant to expand."

frankenfab
03-08-2014, 04:01 PM
The new plant (building) is for center fire handgun, and will have all new machinery that makes cases from coils of big wire rather than stamping out cups and drawing them.

monadnock#5
03-08-2014, 04:23 PM
At this stage of the game I have lost all faith in the claims of the ammo makers. Federal has done well getting bulk 5.56 ammo on the shelves. But where's Rem and Win? Four years ago Wal-mart had Rem 250 round bulk packs of 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP, as well as 100 round boxes Win WB in those calibers as well as .380ACP. I haven't seen a trace of any of those in 3 years. I'm sure Win/Rem is making ammo, I have no idea who's receiving it.

People, and I use that term generically, are somewhere between concerned and out right scared. Russians, Chinese, Book of Revelation, Waco, Israelites VS Ishmaelites, impostors in high places, Mayan calendars, a new chapter in the Book of The Bhama-Sutra everytime you turn around, Newtown/Aurora/Columbine........

Bottom line, I don't know who got paid what to tell the ammo makers the bottom will fall out of the market in a couple of years, but someones getting lied to. And the fact that everyone can see the emporers got no clothes is just one more thing to add to the list.

9.3X62AL
03-08-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm sorta in Monadnock's place, not knowing quite what to believe. I'm not much into deep dark conspiracy ideation, my own thoughts run more to laziness and lack of vision on the part of the makers and an unwillingness to step outside their circumscribed supply/process/storage boundaries. Whatever the reason, IT SUCKS.

trapper9260
03-08-2014, 04:34 PM
9.3x62AL,
Manufacturers are trying HARD to catch up with demand. Thanks to the media, AND liberal politicians who want to ban everything, MANY people who never bought a gun did so. Then the same people want ammo. Add in the fact that normal gun folks wanted to keep shooting & bought up all they can find, a HUGE demand has been created.
To blame the manufacturers for not keeping products on the shelves is a disservice to them. I have personally spoken with many of them in the industry & all are working as hard as they can to make as much as they can.
Realize that only a FEW companies have the capabilities to manufacture powder & primers.
Realize that ammo companies need both of those components to make their ammo. As such, they purchase a LOT more than the consumers. The manufacturers make more money when selling in bulk in one order than working hard at trying to fill thousands of small orders.
It's called "supply & demand" and "business." Yes, we have a HUGE demand, and the SUPPLY is short. But they are all working as hard as they can to catch up.

Many of us who enjoy shooting have not been affected by the shortages because we followed a BSA mentality; "Be Prepared." I personally buy a lot of my supplies in bulk, well ahead of my projected needs. As such, I have not had to change my shooting habits at all.

And to address the OP's caliber & questions;
I own a Ruger Blackhawk .327 myself. I bought one when they came out, and I bought 1000 pieces of brass from Freedom Arms. I also bought another 400 pieces of brass from a friend. I had no problems getting brass.
I also bought bullets, 1000 of them to get me started. I also ordered 2 bullet molds just for my 327. (It took over 2 years, but I got my 32 Sixgun Sledgehammer mold, here.)
I buy a lot of my powder in 8 lb kegs.
I recently cast several hundred .327 sixgun sledgehammer bullets, and they are awaiting the g/c & loading.

How does the .327 compare to .357?
I firmly feel that there is a place for both in a gun safe & on the range, or in the field.
Casting for either one isn't hard, and both give the results I desire.
I truly enjoy my .327 Blackhawk & have NO problems with it being in that sized frame. I can pick it up or a .357 & they feel very similar. Small game hunting to mid-sized game can be in trouble with the .327.

You are right and i also how a 327 and 357 Blackhawk .I like them both and got most of my 327 brass from the same place as you stated.I also got my 32 H&R and S&W long and also found some 32 S&W that was the hardest and also some 32 ACP because you can shoot that in the 327 also.and I also went and got a Keltec P32 for also shoot the 32 ACP.I also able to to use most of the boolits I cast in all the cart. I got.I mainly got the 327 about 3 years ago because of I know there might be a time the 22lr might be short and I do trapping and wanted to have something else beside a 22lr for the trap line.I am happy with it and also have a gun built for shoot a 327 also.If ones look hard and take the time to keep looking for the brass and some time need to get the loaded ammo like for the 32 S&W you will find what you are looking for.from what I knwo of Freedom Arms do have prime 327 brass.You can get it in 500pc.if you like.

9.3X62AL
03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the brass, Trapper. One down, two to go--Marlin and S&W, STEP UP.

monadnock#5
03-08-2014, 04:49 PM
When I bought my SP-101 I knew the cartridge might be a flash in the pan, so I made it a habit to hoard every box of ammo I could afford for the next several years thereafter. To the poster encouraging a purchase of new brass from Starline, I'm sorry, but I have plenty to last me awhile.

frankenfab
03-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks, trapper for the heads up on the primed brass from FA. I will just get some of that while I wait on the Starline brass. I already have a couple hundred rounds of Federal brass anyway.

I have the Blackhawk and a GP-100. Very glad I got them when I did. A S&W or GP-100 with a 6" barrel would be awesome.

Green Frog
03-09-2014, 04:36 PM
I have a discontinued Ruger Blackhawk Stainless 327 (8-shooter) and the K-327 that S&W should have built but never did (custom built, see < http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/260686-project-616-a.html > ) and find the recoil of both to be about the same as +P loads of 38 Special, give or take a bit. I shoot mostly reloads of 125 grain bullets at about 1300 fps, +/-, and if I want to plink, I can drop down to 32 S&W Long, an option that even the mildest of 38 Special loads would probably exceed. In view of current offerings, I don't think any of the manufacturers understood the performance potential of the round... they certainly didn't build or market guns to take advantage of it! JMHO, of course, YMMV! :Fire:

Froggie

lefty o
03-10-2014, 01:17 AM
When we had the arsenals for reserve manufacturing capability is was not a problem. Private companies can't afford to have trained people and equipment setting idle.

With the current regulations it takes years to get approval for and to construct the new manufacturing facilities. Federal Cartridge in Anoka MN is operating at 100% plus - 24/7 with unlimited overtime.

while i wouldnt call it unlimited overtime, there is usually some available. having said that, just about all the machinery runs 98% of the time.

lefty o
03-10-2014, 01:17 AM
forgot to mention, i do like my 327fed very much. nicer to shoot in a snubby than the .357.

trapper9260
03-10-2014, 07:49 AM
You guys are welcome.on where to get some brass,I am also waiten on Starline on brass also.But since I found FA with it ,I got it for they had it.I know alot of 32 brass is hard to find.

In view of current offerings, I don't think any of the manufacturers understood the performance potential of the round... they certainly didn't build or market guns to take advantage of it! JMHO, of course, YMMV!

Froggie

You are right on that Froggie.Too many is not look at it for what it can do.I know when I was in the hospital for a hip replacement and I just got out of surgery and the one in the bed near me I hear his son talk about the 327 and did not like and will stick with the 357.I just think to my self they are looking for something that is not there.For me each one have its own place .The way i look at it is if I can shoot more then one cartiage in one gun then I know it will save me for haven more guns then I care for and just have to have just different brass.

Green Frog
03-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Trapper9260, my "Model 616" seems to shoot bunny fart 32 S&W (short) loads and fire breathing 327 Fed Mag loads with equal aplomb... and all the variants in between. I don't know of any other firearm with that capability. While I haven't spent as much time experimenting with the Ruger, I have every reason to be confident it will be just as versatile. For the guy who wants to shoot just one revolver for pretty much all purposes, this would work well. I wouldn't willingly go lion, tiger, or bear (oh my) hunting with it, or any other large dangerous game, but anything else... well just bring it! :Fire:

I still have a lot of 327 FM testing to do, and need to troll the existing info about 32 S&W Long (which I will probably use a lot) as well as 32 H&R (which may turn out to be useful after all in these "proper" platforms) but so far, there doesn't seem to be a truly bad load to use in these guns, just some better than others. :coffeecom

To the folks complaining about brass availability I would make two observations... first, gather up brass when you can find it. I got 1000 rounds of Starline 327 before Project 616 was complete, 'cause I knew I would need it eventually. Second, with this caliber able to use 5 different calibers of brass, you increase your chances of finding something your revolver will shoot, and probably shoot well. :D

Froggie

trapper9260
03-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Trapper9260, my "Model 616" seems to shoot bunny fart 32 S&W (short) loads and fire breathing 327 Fed Mag loads with equal aplomb... and all the variants in between. I don't know of any other firearm with that capability. While I haven't spent as much time experimenting with the Ruger, I have every reason to be confident it will be just as versatile. For the guy who wants to shoot just one revolver for pretty much all purposes, this would work well. I wouldn't willingly go lion, tiger, or bear (oh my) hunting with it, or any other large dangerous game, but anything else... well just bring it! :Fire:

I still have a lot of 327 FM testing to do, and need to troll the existing info about 32 S&W Long (which I will probably use a lot) as well as 32 H&R (which may turn out to be useful after all in these "proper" platforms) but so far, there doesn't seem to be a truly bad load to use in these guns, just some better than others. :coffeecom

To the folks complaining about brass availability I would make two observations... first, gather up brass when you can find it. I got 1000 rounds of Starline 327 before Project 616 was complete, 'cause I knew I would need it eventually. Second, with this caliber able to use 5 different calibers of brass, you increase your chances of finding something your revolver will shoot, and probably shoot well. :D

Froggie

I shoot all 5 of those you are talking about.I also got a 32acp keltec just because i was able to already load for it and got it shoot better then the factory rounds i bought.The ruger I have is a BH .

rintinglen
03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I had the use of a Blackhawk that my brother owns and I was very impressed with the accuracy. I put a box of federal .327, a box of 32 H&R, and a handful of 32 S&W Long through it, then reloaded the H&R and the .327, all told, about 225 rounds through it. I'd positively love a 327 Smith 4 or 6 " k frame. I'd spring for one so fast I'd be in the dog house before you could count to three. (SWMBO has been a bit edgy about my gun buying habits lately).

Crank
03-12-2014, 11:23 AM
My 2 cents worth,
I will be following Frog's path, by making what S&W should have built. I have pooled a selection of donor barrels to modify, a couple of cylinders to bore out and at last, a 64-7 that is on it's way to my LGS. I will be doing the work myself, because other than the GP-100 (now out of print) there are no medium/large frame double action revolvers out there! I had considered reworking one of my single actions but the simple fact is that I love DA revolvers. It is a shame that support for this cartridge by the gun manufacturers was limited to mostly small guns with the Rugers being the exception. Even then, Ruger only offered a 4" barrel for the GP-100. I will build this one initially with a 4" barrel (due to the factory 4" HB), but may later graft two together to create a 6", or rework a 6" model 66 barrel. This cartridge is what the .32 H&R should have been and has so much potential as a versatile and enjoyable cartridge. I hope more people make enough noise to keep all of the .32's alive.

Mark

Green Frog
03-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Mark,

Be sure to read the trials and tribulations of building Project 616 in this thread;

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/260686-project-616-a.html

and perhaps avoid some problems and pitfalls. I'm wondering what donor barrel you are planning on using with the Model 64-7. Also, be aware that very few gunsmiths seem interested in using a sleeved barrel for the high pressure 327 FM round. I got flat refusals from Hamilton Bowen and Andy Horvath to even consider using a sleeved 357 Mag barrel because of the thinness of the forcing cone area which is problematic even as a 357. Also be aware that you will probably have to rework the new style of 22 extractor star if you use a 617 cylinder... it has a different profile from the centerfire version. This is not intended to discourage you, but to help you with my own experiences. I'd do it again, but know now what to do differently to save effort and money. ;)

Froggie

PS That honkin' big stainless Blackhawk 8-shooter that Ruger built is also pretty cool. I wish they would make a mid-frame flattop in 327 FM! :roll:

Crank
03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Froggie,
I have read your endeavor and it is very helpful. I am the one doing all of the work on this one, so I will lose any arguments I present to myself. I am using a late model cylinder and reworking the star is well within my abilities. The thing to remember is this is an equally late model K-frame with the frame mounted firing pin, so the differences may not be so significant. I will know more when the gun gets in and I wait out the 10 days. The barrel is going to be a bit of a different approach, I will be re-utilizing only the body of the barrel and in effect be turning it into a shroud. The actual rifled portion will have the threads and it will be a stepped design that will be an interference fit into the shroud from the muzzle. This will allow for the same amount of strength as a barrel the same diameter as the threads (.535") as it passes through the frame and will increase in diameter forward of that. I have all of the equipment needed, so I won't have to farm anything out. I subscribe to the old school of gunsmithing that just because you can buy a replacement doesn't mean I can't make it better or cheaper. I have two 5" blanks for a short (4-5") barrel and just got a 20" blank if I feel the need for a 6-8" later, or for another conversion. The orginal 64 heavy barrel without an under-lug will be the initial test, but I may later TIG weld two barrels sectioned and blended, then bored for the new "liner" to create a 6" HB. I was half tempted to convert one of my Colt New Service revolvers, but reworking the cylinder in such a way to be invisible seems to be more than I care for. If I added up my labor on half of the screw-ball ideas I have done, I would have been broke a long time ago and I wouldn't wear the grin of satisfaction from accomplishing it:twisted:. See my thread about the .25ACP rifle in this section of the forum.

Mark

Mohillbilly
03-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Ya maybe want to check with Marlin as they may have replacement .32 cowboy or 32-20 Cs barrels .... I like my SP 101 and 8 & 6 shot Blackhawks . Right smart for my .32 Marlins too. I will buy some .22 lr when it goes back on the shelves , I won't buy another 22 gun until then ........

frankenfab
04-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Starline has 327 brass in stock!

Green Frog
04-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Starline has 327 brass in stock!

If you think you may want it, you better act fast! [smilie=2: I predict their supply won't last long once the word gets out! I was glad I had my order in for the last run, because by the time my 616 was ready, it was already gone. :cry: Starline makes some seriously good quality brass... it's a little heavier in the neck than the Federal that was my only other source.

Froggie

Crank
04-03-2014, 04:33 PM
It's Twoo, It's Twoo!
I just got a shipping notification from UPS for an 18.8lb package from Starline! Fodder for the conversion, I better get it finished up soon.

Mark

9.3X62AL
04-03-2014, 05:06 PM
I need to stay the h--l OUT of this thread, lest I get the idea to take a reamer to the chambers of my S&W Model 16-4. Swap-out cylinders in 327 Federal and 32-20 WCF have no small appeal, but the revolver is literally the most accurate revolver I have ever owned......so I am loath to take tools to any part of its cylinder. It would be like spray-paint onto the Sistine Chapel. I just need to wait on S&W or Colt or Ruger to do the right things. The 32 Mag in the 16-4 can be run safely/sanely to the same performance as the 327 Federal. I've taken Lyman #313631 past 1450 FPS in 32 Mag brass, and while that boolit isn't all that accurate at 1000 FPS it REALLY tightens right up at 1300+. Like the Blackhawk x 30 Carbine, it is an eardrum drill--plugs and muffs are REQUIRED. It impresses the daylights out of range onlookers. "WHAT THE ^%$# IS THAT YOU'RE SHOOTING??" is a near-certainty to follow the first cylinder-full.

cbrick
04-03-2014, 05:14 PM
the revolver is literally the most accurate revolver I have ever owned......

If it ain't broke . . .

Like the Blackhawk x 30 Carbine, it is an eardrum drill--plugs and muffs are REQUIRED.

When are ya gonna shoot that megaboominearsplittin gun?

Rick

frankenfab
04-03-2014, 06:14 PM
If you think you may want it, you better act fast! [smilie=2: I predict their supply won't last long once the word gets out! I was glad I had my order in for the last run, because by the time my 616 was ready, it was already gone. :cry: Starline makes some seriously good quality brass... it's a little heavier in the neck than the Federal that was my only other source.

Froggie

Gone it is! I had already back ordered/paid for 500 back in June, and I ordered another 500 this morning. I just checked the site and it is now "not available/ no back order"

Crank
04-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Yikes! That was fast. They must have had it mostly all sold before they listed it. I had my backorder in a couple of months ago.

Mark

9.3X62AL
04-03-2014, 07:55 PM
If it ain't broke . . .

When are ya gonna shoot that megaboominearsplittin gun?

Rick

Too many (serial & sequential expletives deleted) distractions going on of late for any kind of range time. I did get a varmint hunt wedged in, but that took some doing. Most of today was spent on phone over medical questions and tax detritus. YUCK.

Jeff H
04-04-2014, 12:33 AM
It still seems like the problem could be easily solved. Why the reluctance to do so?

Any other manufacturer or supplier of any other product would be all over ramping up production. This has gone on long enough as have the excuses that they are working as hard and fast as possible and that this won't last long. Baloney! It's gone on for over a year with no end in sight. There is no logical reason that they continue to hold out. They either know something they're not telling or just enjoying getting 50% to 100% more for the same thing they sold just over a year ago.

Anyone who wants to defend the component manufacturers right now has no more to go on to rationalize their actions than I do to criticize them so I don't see anyone having a foothold for a convincing argument.

monadnock#5
04-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Anyone who wants to defend the component manufacturers right now has no more to go on to rationalize their actions than I do to criticize them so I don't see anyone having a foothold for a convincing argument.

This is what bothers me more than anything. It would be so easy to give us a relatively detailed business update meeting. "Just the facts ma'am!", no need to glaze the eyes. Every company since two years after 60 Minutes went on the air has a talking head rep to discuss these matters. So why keep us in the dark? I really, really dislike being treated like a Russian peasent in queue at the breadline.

Henry Ford is famously quoted as having said "Give them any color they want....AS LONG AS IT'S BLACK!" Yup, I know exactly how it feels to be marginalised like that.