PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to my H & R

Newtire
12-22-2007, 04:17 PM
I have been neglecting my .32 H & R 586 ever since I got my Ruger Buckeye so just to make sure it knows I care about it at this special time of year, I made a set of "target" grips for it.

Low budget scrap flooring made for a fun project. Used a Forstner bit in the drill press and a little Exacto chiseling plus some drum sanding to hollow out & shape the wood so it fit around the frame. It fits my hand perfect.

I want to get a set of checkering tools some day and try my hand at that next. I have a little .22 Trapper solid frame that I need to make some new grips for too.

Buckshot
12-23-2007, 02:35 AM
...............Wow, those look great! Looks like you did a very fine job. I managed some checkering on my M95 Steyr conversion to 30-40 Krag. It was my very first time and it turned out well enough. I was concerned at first. I don't want to make it sound easy and simple. The pattern I used was about as simple as could be. It seemed to me that if one took care to start a straight line, then didn't rush the job, the average person could accomplish a nice simple checkering job.

...............Buckshot

Bret4207
12-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Shades of Walter Roper! ( And if you don't know who that is, your education in peestols is sadly lacking) Not a thing wrong with letting the old girl know you still care. Good job. How's she shoot?

Newtire
12-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I looked up this Walter Roper guy and man! $900+ for a set of grips. trouble is with stuff that I make is that it takes forever and is just a little bit shy of being what a professional would turn out. Still, it means alot more to me because I made it.

That revolver shoots real good now that I figured out that my master eye was switching back & forth.

It just isn't the strength of a Ruger. I shoot 4 gr. Unique and the 32-98 RCBS and I think that's about as hot as I'd like to go with it. I have used 10 gr. H110 and the 311316 HP in it but maybe that's pushing it a bit. I have the Ruger for the heavy stuff and this little thing only chambers loads under 1.370" so all the short ones are for the H & R and anything longer goes into the Ruger. I can keep em separated that way.

Bret4207
12-23-2007, 07:00 PM
That revolver shoots real good now that I figured out that my master eye was switching back & forth.

Why do ya think Roy Rogers and Hopalong always squinted a bit? Took care of that master eye problem must be![smilie=1:

BTW- Should you ever run onto any of Roper books or magazine articles, read up That guy knew more about shooting a steekin' peestol than even ELMER!