PDA

View Full Version : Boolits vs. porting

blixen
03-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Would anti-recoil ports in a rifle barrel cause issues for cast boolits or vice versa. I'm talking anti-recoil ports professionally milled in after-market—not a screw-on muzzle brake. And no, I'm not considering porting one of my pieces--I'm looking at a 30-30 that was ported by someone who apparently had a soft wife and excess money.

These ports are 4 narrow slots about 3/4-inch long and about 10 and 2 o'clock in the last 4 inches of the barrel. Sorry, don't have photos with me.

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
I had a ported XD at one point. When I shot boolits out of it, lead would become encrusted all in the slide (not a problem for your rifle) and would build up in the ports. I cleaned it and quit shooting boolits out of it. Im not sure how your ported rifle would react to boolits, but I suspect you'd eventually get a build up of lead in the ports like my XD barrel did.

TXGunNut
03-06-2014, 09:52 PM
My Guide Gun is the early ported model. It's had a steady diet of cast boolits for a couple of years with no more than a few specks of lead in the bore, none in the ports.

nanuk
03-07-2014, 02:02 AM
These ports are 4 narrow slots about 3/4-inch long and about 10 and 2 o'clock in the last 4 inches of the barrel. Sorry, don't have photos with me.

sounds like a "magnaport" job.....

Keyston44
03-07-2014, 08:48 AM

It does sound like Mag-na-port. I have the same thing on a Ruger 77 in 300 win mag. I have shot cast out of it without any problems.

I also have a couple Taurus revolvers that have factory porting and shoot cast out of them too.

Key

blixen
03-07-2014, 11:19 AM

That's exactly what it is! I went to the magnaport site.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/07/ata3unet.jpg