PDA

View Full Version : Primer tube protection?

rpludwig
03-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Back into it after many years off, running a PBII on a RC. In spite of no past issues with primer tubes (or the PB, once tweaked), I'm a bit paranoid these days having read of tube blasts on red, blue and green progressives.

I would like to improvise a blast tube/shield to slide over the typical aluminum primer tube. So for those running a LNL or Dillon:

1. what is the blast tube material used by red and blue, iron pipe or something else?
2. what is the outside diameter?
3. is there an air space between the aluminum primer tube and the blast tube, if so is it significant or necessary?
4. anyone else improvised something?

I am religious regarding cleaning the tubes of primer dust regularly and static protection, just looking for more of a comfort level, short of hand priming.

Thanks in advance!
Ron

r1kk1
03-06-2014, 01:41 PM
A quick email to Hornady, Dillon and Redding would answer most of your questions.

The force is directed up and out judging by the few pics I've seen. The path of least resistance so to speak.

I too swab primer tubes out between sessions.

To tell the the truth, I just don't sweat it on my 550 or when I had my SDB.

Take care

r1kk1

runfiverun
03-06-2014, 02:33 PM
the dillons have an outer metal tube around the inner aluminum tube. [which is held in place at both ends]
I have never read of this blast tube thing you talk about.
the only time I have ever seen a primer popped off in a tube was from someone going all cowboy on a stuck primer.
the tube was a naked aluminum one, it just launched all the other primer out of the tube [shrug]
I'm still using that tube 20+ years later btw.

BruceB
03-06-2014, 03:02 PM
The outer tube on the Dillon presses is STEEL, and intended to protect the operator. Therefore: a "blast tube".

Many years back, gunwriter Ed Matunas tested the Dillon tube by firing a .223 bullet through a Dillon tube containing 100 primers (from 100 yards!).

He published a photo of the result with his article. The tube had a sizable swollen area around the bullet hole, but the tube was intact. He said, "The fireball was impressive."

The sole "weakness" (in MY opinion) on the old Lyman All-American turret press is the very thin-walled brass primer tubes for its push-button primer feed mechanism. After using this feed method for some time, I decided that having the stack of primers right in front of my face with so little protection was not worth the risk. The press is still a favorite, but I do NOT use the primer feed any longer. I do suspect a man could rig a steel blast tube on this press , with a little work and ingenuity.

monadnock#5
03-06-2014, 03:57 PM
This is a safety concern that was brought up somewhat frequently years ago. I can't say though that I've heard it mentioned recently. It wouldn't surprise me though if, over the years, a lot of hand held priming systems got sold for safety as well as the convenience.
As I recall, a loose fitting black iron tube, open at the top and 1" longer than the priming tube was all it took.

MtGun44
03-07-2014, 02:44 AM
If you are making one - ONLY use 4130 chrome moly seamless aircraft tube. NOT expensive.

Airparts in Kansas City has it in stock in many sizes - extremely strong, stretches rather than shatters
under extreme loads, machines and welds very well.

Bill

rpludwig
03-07-2014, 07:16 AM
If you are making one - ONLY use 4130 chrome moly seamless aircraft tube. NOT expensive.

Airparts in Kansas City has it in stock in many sizes - extremely strong, stretches rather than shatters
under extreme loads, machines and welds very well.

Bill

Excellent! Bill, precisely the advice I was looking for...will order some and fashion a blast tube for the PB.

Appreciate all replies, great forum here.

Ron

OuchHot!
03-07-2014, 03:34 PM
I have been intending to equip my LnL and ammomaster with such a tube. I was intending to use seamless hydraulic tubing. I have reloaded a zillion rounds and never had a problem but that is one problem I do not want to experience. I recall reading of one case where the blast tube worked fine and the end result was a goodly sized hole in the ceiling and dirty shorts.

rpludwig
03-07-2014, 06:46 PM
I have been intending to equip my LnL and ammomaster with such a tube. I was intending to use seamless hydraulic tubing. I have reloaded a zillion rounds and never had a problem but that is one problem I do not want to experience. I recall reading of one case where the blast tube worked fine and the end result was a goodly sized hole in the ceiling and dirty shorts.

several (red, green & blue) have had the unpleasant experience from my research....although several out of millions upon millions of rounds reloaded is miniscule...like you, after zillions of rounds over 40 years, I just don't want to be the next one!

Google primer tube blast and/or primer tube detonation, you'll find 'em...

Be safe!
Ron

MaryB
03-08-2014, 01:08 AM
I have had one primer detonation in my Pacific DL366 over the years, triggered a chain reaction up and out the tube. Other than some bits of primer stuck in the ceiling tiles in that house no damage.

seagiant
03-08-2014, 03:34 AM
Hi,
I went ACE hardware and found some nice tube to make for shields for a couple of RCBS Green Machines I was rebuilding. Just drill and tap a hole at the bottom of the tube for a thumb screw and your done! IMO there is not enough pressure in a detonation to split the tube as the top and bottom are open! YMMV!

freebullet
03-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Lnl ap has a metal screw on tube around the inner aluminum tube. I've had some really mangled primers come out but never set one off. I don't go at any break neck speed either though, so you can usually feel when something isn't right.

On the flip side I set off several when tweaking a hand primer to use Berdan primers. I kept it point in a safe direction. It didn't cause a chain reaction. I was informed by my better half that I'm not allowed to do those in the living room anymore.

It's not that big of deal when one goes off, a chain of them could ruin more then your day. Just don't be in a hurry and all will be fine. If I were that worried I'd buy my ammo.

MtGun44
03-11-2014, 01:34 AM
Here is another source of 4130 chrome-moly alloy steel seamless structural
tubing.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/viewitems/aircraft-metal-tubes-channels-angles/4130-round-tubing

Bill

rpludwig
03-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Update...ordered some 4130 chrome moly seamless aircraft tube from Aircraft Parts in Kansas City.

The RCBS aluminum primer tube mics out at .315, I ordered 7/16" OD, .340 ID tube, cost all of $10 bucks plus shipping and fits perfectly over the RCBS aluminum tubes, with a bit of wiggle room to spare, it clears the die plate, and at 24" in length, extends ABOVE the powder hopper.

This mod gives me the comfort level I was looking for, any tube blast has to go up (or down) rather than in the operator's face. Not a new concept, but new to this progressive setup.

Many thanks to Bill (MtGun44) for the tubing recommendation, and others for their input!

Disclaimer, this is a DIY mod, not endorsed by the mfgr, use your own judgement, at your own risk, YMMV.

BruceB
03-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Congratulations.

You have greatly increased your personal safety, and in the bargain you have pointed the way for others to follow suit.

Did you anchor the bottom of the tube, or just let it sit there? Even just sitting, it's in position to absorb or re-direct the blast; I'm just curious.

rpludwig
03-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Congratulations.

You have greatly increased your personal safety, and in the bargain you have pointed the way for others to follow suit.

Did you anchor the bottom of the tube, or just let it sit there? Even just sitting, it's in position to absorb or re-direct the blast; I'm just curious.

Bruce...it is not anchored, just sitting on the plastic/nylon piece that clamps over the primer shuttle.

I considered anchoring it as seagiant did on his green machines, however was concerned that even slight pressure on the inner tube by the thumbscrew would deform the tube enough to inhibit the flow of primers, and/or crush one, and still only anchor the blast tube to the inner tube and not to the press.

I believe the LNL's and Dillon blast tubes are anchored and/or threaded into a fixture at the bottom, but that is not feasable on the PB design.

Regardless, even without anchoring, I feel this is a much needed bit of protection in the event of a blast and I'm comfortable with it. Have never had a single or tube detonation in 50 years of reloading, hope to never have one, but have viewed some mighty ugly pics of damaged extremities from full tube blasts!

Ron

Walter Laich
03-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Dillon's SDB is anchored at the bottom. Top has a screw on attachment that centers the inner primer tube. Just wish it was a bit longer