PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Shotshell Manual #3

Mayor
12-22-2007, 03:30 PM
From what info I could glean off the net, this edition was the last to contain 2 7/8" 10 gauge smokeless data.

I would like to find the book................Or
purchase/trade for copies of the pages pertaining to 10 gauge 2 7/8" loads

Anyone in shotgun land that can help?

Thanks
Gary

BCB
12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Mayor,

I took pictures of that data from the Lyman 2nd Edition. I can try to send a copy of a page of the data to your e-mail address you have listed if you want me too. I will send it e-mail quality and you can see if it is readable. Let me know...BCB

crowbeaner
12-23-2007, 12:53 AM
There is one for sale on gunbroker but the seller has a reserve on it and won't sell it for the minimum bid; I tried once and decided he was d***ing around. I'm looking for one myself for the slug data.

Mayor
12-23-2007, 01:14 AM
Mayor,

I took pictures of that data from the Lyman 2nd Edition. I can try to send a copy of a page of the data to your e-mail address you have listed if you want me too. I will send it e-mail quality and you can see if it is readable. Let me know...BCB

Perfect!

Send it to:

buckoff@alltel.net

I owe you BIG:-D

S.R.Custom
12-23-2007, 02:23 AM
You have mail... ;) (Scans from Lyman's 3rd.)

Mayor
12-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Thanks ya'll!

There's nothing like the comraderie on this sight:drinks:

That being said the Lyman info is sketchy at best............I guess the 2 7/8 smokeless thing just never really flew because the data is for old powders and higher pressure loads than I want to try. All magnum or close:(

So now I'm looking for (heaven forbid) pet loads, you know those dreaded "my load consists of, blah, blah and blah.........but don;t ry this in yer gun" type loads.

Anyone feeling brave?

Harmon_Greer
04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
i am looking for 690 round ball data for 12 gauge, can anyone scan a copy of the lyman pages for me?

harmon

tommygirlMT
04-23-2010, 04:30 PM
<snip>

That being said the Lyman info is sketchy at best............I guess the 2 7/8 smokeless thing just never really flew because the data is for old powders and higher pressure loads than I want to try. All magnum or close:(

So now I'm looking for (heaven forbid) pet loads, you know those dreaded "my load consists of, blah, blah and blah.........but don;t ry this in yer gun" type loads.

Anyone feeling brave?

Well, I don't have any specific pet load for you --- but it sounds to me like your looking to make smokeless loads for an older gun and you want to stay on the low end of the pressure spectrum and be gentle on your old gun.

If it were me and I were trying to accomplish that goal --- I think I would use IMR-4759 powder in load data calling for IMR-4756 powder as a start load and they mabey work up the load a little nice and slow (initially in a modern strong gun until I got the load receipe right) until the velocity string tightened down to a more normal deviation spread.

The idea being that --- making that swap would probably cut the pressure in half and put you on the verge of a blooper load --- then work the charge up slightly to stablize the burn at still a fairly moderate pressure level probably in the 7to8 thousand range. Basically 4759 is 4756 with all the "spunk" taken out of it so it is a lazy powder which can be a good thing in some situations --- like what I preceive is your situation.

DLCTEX
04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Harmon Greer: do you want load for Win. or Rem, cases (only two listed)? Both use SR 4756 powder, and do you fold or roll crimp? Let me know which and I'll post it.

Robertjk
04-24-2010, 12:23 PM
"The mighty 10 gauge" booklet from Ballistic Products has a page of 10-2 7/8 data for lead and bismuth shot.

skeettx
04-24-2010, 06:18 PM
What are you wanting to do with the short 10 gauge?

I have been loading 1 1/8 ounce skeet loads for my Ithaca NID for use at the skeet range
I use Remington hulls cut to 2 7/8, Remington plactic sp10 wad, two cherrios, 1 1/8 ounce of shot, and 25 grains of Green Dot
I six star fold crimp, and shoot these in a GOOD STEEL BARREL NOT in my Twist barrel L.C. Smith

Use at you OWN risk

You looking for light loads or heavies?
Mike

Harmon_Greer
04-27-2010, 02:28 PM
either remington or winchester work.. i have a stash of both. I use roll crimp for my round ball loads.

thank you