PDA

View Full Version : spaggetti sauce

reloader28
03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
How come we dont have any recipies for this here.
I dont have one to share, but would like to hear some good recipies from you guys to put over homemade noodles.
Anybody got one?

Bonz
03-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Penne with Vodka Sauce

Ingredients :

2 pounds of Penne
3 - 28 ounce cans of whole plum tomatoes
6 tablespoons of butter
6 shallots, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1-1/2 cups of vodka
1-1/2 cups of heavy cream
1-1/2 cups of freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 handfuls of fresh basil leaves, torn

Cooking Directions :

Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large pan over medium heat.
Add 6 minced shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
Add the 3 minced cloves of garlic and 3/4 teaspoon or red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 1-1/2 cups of vodka and 3 - 28 ounce cans of whole plum tomatoes
and salt to taste.
Return the pan to the stove on medium heat and simmer, stirring often, until the alcohol cooks off, about 7 minutes.
Stir in the 1-1/2 cups of heavy cream and cook until the sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the 1-1/2 cups of freshly grated parmesan cheese and 3 handfuls of torn fresh basil leaves.
Add the 2 pounds of well drained but not rinsed Penne and serve

imashooter2
03-06-2014, 12:34 PM
6 tablespoons of butter, 1.5 cups of heavy cream and 1.5 cups of cheese...

Clearly not for those watching their cholesterol. :)

Bonz
03-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Also a family size portion… You can also leave out the butter, red pepper flakes, vodka, heavy cream and parmesan cheese to just have spaghetti sauce.

Janoosh
03-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Growing up in the Bronx, of Italian heritage, it was always called "gravy". And my mom cooked it all morning while we kids were in church. And that....was a long time ago...in another galaxy,..... far, far away.

Bonz
03-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Growing up in the Bronx, of Italian heritage, it was always called "gravy". And my mom cooked it all morning while we kids were in church. And that....was a long time ago...in another galaxy,..... far, far away.

and a loaf of italian bread to taste the sauce

Janoosh
03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
+1.... I can remember the taste, and the love put into it, but the ingredients are lost to me. 45 yrs ago now.

Lloyd Smale
03-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Ive got another easy one. Two sticks of butter one just to melt and one to fry some shrimp and garlic. Dump the pan and the extra stick of butter on some noodles and your mouth will water and your arterys cringe.
6 tablespoons of butter, 1.5 cups of heavy cream and 1.5 cups of cheese...

Clearly not for those watching their cholesterol. :)

imashooter2
03-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Ive got another easy one. Two sticks of butter one just to melt and one to fry some shrimp and garlic. Dump the pan and the extra stick of butter on some noodles and your mouth will water and your arterys cringe.

Every now and again I'll sweat a clove of garlic in butter and toss it over some spaghetti with a bit of Locatteli. I love it, can't say the same for my doctor though...

Outpost75
03-06-2014, 08:27 PM
"Sugo al ragù di carne

Pour ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil in the bottom of a 4-qt. kettle, warm to medium heat.

Add 1 c each of diced onion and green bell peppers, sauté until the onions are clear

Add: one 28 oz. can of tomato puree,

one 8 oz. can tomato sauce,

one 6 oz. can tomato paste and

1 cup. dry red Chianti, use the wine to rinse the tomato cans to get all the good stuff out

Add 2 bay leaves and 1 teaspoon each of dry basil, oregano, rubbed sage, garlic powder, and crushed cayenne

Or ½ c. each of diced fresh herbs and four cloves of crushed fresh garlic (if you got ‘em)

½ tsp anchovy paste (optional)

For meat sauce add 1 lb. of fully cooked, crumbled, drained ground chuck or Italian Cinghiale sausage, or 16 oz. package of thawed, frozen meat balls (optional)

Add 1 tsp sea salt (½ is OK if watching sodium intake, but don’t leave it out, it needs some)

Simmer 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally

Now start boiling your pasta water and keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.

Add ½ cup half & half (reduces the acidity from all that tomato!)

Add 4 oz. 1 can of mushrooms with their packing liquid and stir well

Makes two quarts of sauce, enough to save half for later or to serve 2 pounds of pasta to a camp of hungry hunters.

lukeyduke
03-07-2014, 01:52 AM
That last one sounds good.

MaryB
03-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Problem with spaghetti sauce is I don't really use a recipe and it varies with what I have on hand... made a small batch the other day from

2 pints tomato sauce from my garden
1pint whole canned tomatoes
large onion chopped
6 large cloves garlic chopped
pound of hamburger
italian seasoning herb blend
dehydrated mushrooms

Fry off the hamburger in a little olive oil, add the onions and cook until they are about half done then add the garlic. Cook that until the onions are soft. Add the tomato sauce and whole tomatoes, and the dehydrated mushrooms and about half the italian seasoning(guess would put it at 2 tablespoons). Simmer for an hour or two then add the other half of herbs and simmer another half hour to an hour. Serve over choice of pasta with lots of parm cheese and slices of garlic toast. I sometimes skip the pasta and just eat it with the bread!

My garlic toast is made from half a stick of butter and 5-7 cloves of garlic that I mashed in a bit of kosher salt. Spread on both sides of the bread and bake in a 425 oven until crispy.

My garlic levels may be way to high for some people, I love garlic and will even nibble it raw.

Saltner
03-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Dear Americans , i smile when i see that you want to cook it.
It 's really nice to know that our food is popular all over the world!
Here is a simple recipe

Spaghetti alla carbonara

Ingredients (for 4 people):
450 grams of spaghetti
4 eggs
100 grams of grated parmigiano or pecorino cheese
200 grams of bacon
pepper
Begin by cutting the bacon into cubes and put them into a frying pan and cook just a few minutes.
The oil is not necessary as you cook the bacon in its own fat.
In the meantime, put a saucepan with water and a little salt.In a bowl beat the eggs with the grated cheese and black pepper.
After mixing well, it's time to add the bacon.
As soon as the pasta is ready, drain and immediately pour it into the pan while still hot and add the egg mixture, bacon and cheese: blow up for a couple of minutes and serve at the table the excellent spaghetti alla carbonara.
The recipe finally advised to spend a little more on the surface ' of grated cheese, according to personal taste.

Bon appetit !

Wots
03-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Garlic spaghetti

One head of chopped garlic sauteed in 1/4# butter and olive oil.
Cook the spaghetti to taste and top with the cooked garlic.
Top with fresh pepper and freshly grated aged asiago cheese.

Really just an excuse to have a bunch of good cheese and garlic. Takes a few days to get rid of the garlic smell on yea.

smokeywolf
03-07-2014, 06:54 AM
I usually make about 2 to 4 gallons of spaghetti sauce at a time.
I make it about 30% crushed tomato, 25% tomato puree, 25% tomato sauce and 20% diced tomato.
To that, I add about 4 to 7 tbsp of minced garlic browned in olive oil.
I add a lot of basil and oregano and a generous amount of fennel seed.
Saute a quarter pound ground beef and a pound of hot italian sausage, dump it in the sauce (we like it meaty).
Simmer sauce on low for 6 hours.

Usually by the time the sauce has simmered long enough, I've tasted it so many times I'm too full to eat dinner. Also, by the time the sauce is ready, I've usually downed more than a couple of glasses of Malbec wine.

Don't forget to make cheesy garlic bread.

smokeywolf

Col4570
03-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Here is ours,Soften one large onion and 6 Cloves of garlic in extra Virgin Olive Oil.Add 1lb of Minced steak and brown it amongst the Onion and garlic.Add 1 can of chopped tomatoes and some tomatoe paste.Add 3 Crumbled OXO Cubes.Stir continuously whilst it bubbles.Serve over Spaghetti of choice and top with Shredded Basil and Parmisan cheese.The Oxo adds a certain depth to the sauce.If too stiff add some hot water for consistency.

dragon813gt
03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
I don't have a recipe. Mine is made from what's pulled out of the garden. Usually a variety of tomatoes ranging from cherries up to beefsteaks. The majority are Romas but I like to add all of them, even though most have a high moisture content, to give it a different taste every year. Garlic, basil, rosemary and other spices get thrown in the day of. I can the sauce runny so I have to cook it down some. This is also when the sun dried tomatoes I made get thrown in as well. It's one of the simplest things to make. And if you've never had it straight from the garden you don't know what you're missing.

6bg6ga
03-07-2014, 07:27 AM
Mine is simple... Two jars of Ragu Spaghetti sauce. Two lbs of italian spicy sausage add italian seasonings, mushrooms, and onion. Cook the meat and onion add sauce, seasonings, and drained canned mushrooms.

Not as good as the recipes above but it gets the job done. Served over very thin spagetti. Adds are a loaf of italian bread sliced and rubbed with a butter garlic spread and put in the oven about 10 or 15 minutes. The bread is put in foil wrap.

Char-Gar
03-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Here are the two I have been using for a very long time. One for a Neapolitan tomato based sauce and the other Pasta Carbonara. They are entirely different but both very good. I enjoy scratch cooking very much and like doing so for others to enjoy.

Charles’s Pasta Sauce

The Stuff

2 onions (chopped)
2 cloves of mashed garlic
½ cup of olive oil
½ pound of fine ground beef
2 ½ cups of tomato juice
½ cup of tomato puree (three 4 3/4 oz cans)
1 can of Italian tomato paste
4 hot chili peppers
1 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 t sugar
1 cup of diced olives

What you do with the stuff

Brown (cook until clear) the onions and garlic in the olive oil
Add the meat slowly and brown
Heat the tomato juice, puree and paste in a kettle
Add the meat and other stuff
Simmer with the lid off for 2 ½ hours
Remove the pepper and ad the olives
Simmer another ten minutes

Now just eat it!

Pasta Carbonara

Pasta (1 lb.)
Olive Oil
Black Pepper (fresh ground is best)
1 Large Yellow Onion
½ lb Bacon
Pesto
Parmesan cheese.

Cook the pasta, drain and set aside. I put a little salt in the water when cooking the pasta as I don't cook with much salt anymore.

Chop the bacon into bits, cook and set aside. I remove the bacon from the grease. You don't have to do that but I am not interested in putting any more fat into my body that necessary.

Saute onion in olive oil, and when almost done add bacon and Pesto (several large T spoons at least) and mix thoroughly while over the heat.

Put black pepper (grind your own) on pasta, add Parmesan and onion/bacon/pesto mix and toss. All a little more olive oil if it seems dry.

Note: Most Pasta Carbonara uses eggs, but my wife is allergic to eggs so I don't. I also use Pesto to get the garlic and some other good tastes. Most Americans who are not of Italian descent associate pasta sauce with the red tomatoes based sauces that are typical of Naples. Many early Italian immigrates came from that area and they got to define what Americans think of Italian cooking which is quite diverse and regional, but all good.

Lloyd Smale
03-07-2014, 08:01 AM
for the most part i do about the same but prefer hunts over ragu. I used to make my owns sause but its alot of work and for a buck a can for hunts its much easier to buy it and doctor it up some.
Mine is simple... Two jars of Ragu Spaghetti sauce. Two lbs of italian spicy sausage add italian seasonings, mushrooms, and onion. Cook the meat and onion add sauce, seasonings, and drained canned mushrooms.

Not as good as the recipes above but it gets the job done. Served over very thin spagetti. Adds are a loaf of italian bread sliced and rubbed with a butter garlic spread and put in the oven about 10 or 15 minutes. The bread is put in foil wrap.

StrawHat
03-07-2014, 08:09 AM
In the summer, when the garden is producing more than we can handle, we make a simple "uncooked" sauce. Saute chopped onions and garlic in olive oil, until translucent. Chop the tomatoes, basil, rosemary and oregano and place in a large stainless bowl. Cook pasta however you prefer. When the pasta is done, add it to the tomatoes and add the onions, garlic and oil. A shredding of Romano and a glass of wine makes a nice ending to the day.

randyrat
03-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Hunts sauce in a can and doctor it up with some home grown tomatoes if i have any left and more spices more garlic. You can't beat Hunts $1/ can as a base I can't can my own tomatoes for that. I always make it in the morning and let it simmer then cool and reheat later in the day to blend the spices.

But I am going to try a couple of these recipes from others for an alternative

frankenfab
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
I also use the Hunt's with add-ins, keeping the pantry stocked with a few cans at all times.

Lately I have been splurging @$2 a jar and using Prego Chunky Garden Style.

gwpercle
03-07-2014, 04:48 PM
In New Orleans it was always " Red Gravy " . When I said " spaghetti sauce " my Italian bride had no idea what I was talking about. I was born and raised only a few miles west of Baton Rouge , only 90 miles from New Orleans , but it might as well have been in another galaxy. This little Cajun boy had a lot to learn from them Italian's . We been married 40 years now and to her it's still Red Gravy. Her Mamma taught me how to make it.
Gary

Dale in Louisiana
03-07-2014, 05:38 PM
From the blog (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=3103):

What?!?! Another pasta recipe?

Yeah. Another quick pasta recipe. This one’s a half hour from thought to plate, assuming you have all the ingredients.

That name? Cute. It means pasta like the whores make. It’s not an OLD traditional Italian recipe since the first reference to it in Italian literature is 1961. Thoughts vary on how the name came about. One of them is that the sauce is pungent and hot. Another is that it’s a quickie. The idea was that this sauce would attract customers and give them something to nibble on while they waited.

Now, if you can get your mind out of the gutter, we’ll get on to cooking. This is one of those pantry clearing recipes. Nothing has to be fresh from the garden or the produce section of the grocery store.

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil. This needn’t be one of those expensive “designer” olive oils. A decent extra virgin (ain’t that a great juxtaposition in relation to ‘whorehouse pasta?) oil will do just fine. Other ingredients will take the lead on flavoring this dish.

2 garlic cloves, minced. If you really like garlic like I do, you can use more. I tend towards four BIG cloves.

2 ounces or more Calamata black olives, pitted and chopped. If you can’t find Calamata, any black olives will work.

1 teaspoon capers, coarsely chopped. Or don’t chop them. Capers are small, and they’ll break up a bit in cooking.

1 can of chopped tomatoes. I would say a fifteen ounce can, but the can I had was 14.5 ounces. Close counts. If you want, you can get one with peppers in it.

4 or 5 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped. Okay, I can hear people’s minds coming to a screeching halt. Anchovies? Those hairy little fishy-tasting things? Yes. Don’t omit these. You’re gonna cook them to pieces and you won’t get a big mouthful of one, but they’ll add a flavor that really MAKES this dish. And it won’t be fishy at all. Go on. Be brave. Trust me. Oh, anchovies come in a can, and you’ll have ‘way more than you need for this recipe. You can feed the rest to the cat, or if you’re like me, drape a fillet over a quarter of a boiled egg for a snack.

salt
black pepper, freshly ground
crushed pepper flakes. Don’t miss this, either. It’s SUPPOSED to be spicy, so add just a few at least, and put a shaker on the table for your guests.

One pound of pasta. I like linguine.

Procedure:

Put the water on to boil for the pasta.

In a skillet or saute pan, put the olive oil over medium heat. Add the anchovies and stir in the hot oi. they’ll sizzle and break up. That’s a sign to add the garlic. Stir it around until it starts to get translucent, then add teh olives and capers. Stir some more, until the sizzle starts to quiet down.

You’re watching the water, right? When it starts to boil, add your pasta and cook according to the directions on the package. You’re looking for “al dente”.

Back to that semi-sizzling pot with the oil, anchovies, olives and capers. Give it another stir and add your drained tomato chunks. Salt (a little. remember those anchovies), pepper and a bit of red pepper, all these go in, and you give it a stir. It should start to bubble, and that’s what you want: to boil off a bit of excess liquid and break the tomatoes up a bit.

Stir the sauce occasionally as the pasta finishes cooking.

Serving:

This is sooooo elegant. It’s a whorehouse, remember. You want effete refinement, you don’t go with pasta alla puttanesca. Dump your drained pasta into a big bowl. Ceremoniously dump the sauce over the top of the pasta and toss the mess together with a couple of utensils. Dispense into plates or wide bowls and pass it out to your customers. Join them in the meal and make suggestive remarks.

Man, this is good stuff! A decent beer or a hearty wine will go well with it. Try this one.

dale in Louisiana

Janoosh
03-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Gwpercle....I remember coming home from church with the Sunday paper we were told to pick up.... and the aroma when we opened the door...and the wooden spoon if we didnt behave!
As soon as I get back home from work I'll post a summer recipe...but that's tough to do.from this phone.

Outpost75
03-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Dear Americans , i smile when i see that you want to cook it.
It 's really nice to know that our food is popular all over the world....

I agree! There are a great many Americans of Italian descent in my home state of West Virginia.
The annual Italian-American Heritage Festival in Clarksburg, WV is a particular favorite of mine, https://www.wvihf.com/
Although I am of Scots-Irish heritage. In America on Saint Patrick's Day, "everyone is Irish" and enjoys the celebration.
Similarly on Columbus Day "everyone is Italian" and on April 25, I celebrate Liberation Day with you, and remember my uncles and late father who served in Italy with the 10th Mountain Division to liberate your country.

It was my profound pleasure to visit your country and to travel the route my father walked and visit the places he had been.

In bocca al Lupo!

silverado
03-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Kudos to you tomato cooks... my last batch of tomato sauce involved lots of food coloring to make it look "right" and ended up with getting take out... I'm a beast on the grill tho

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2014, 06:53 AM
same here. I was given a ton of tomatoes one year and proceded to make my own. It was ok but in my opinion not as good as hunts and with all the work involved and considering hunts is a buck a can its a no brainer to me.
Kudos to you tomato cooks... my last batch of tomato sauce involved lots of food coloring to make it look "right" and ended up with getting take out... I'm a beast on the grill tho

jaysouth
03-08-2014, 07:28 PM
The simplest but a bit pricy.

Melt one stick of butter

Add one finely diced or smashed clove of garlic

When the garlic starts to turn brown, add one pound of jumbo lump crab meat.

Throw one pound of cooked pasta into skillet with crab, butter and garlic, add salt and black and red pepper to taste. Plate up and add a tablespoon of fresh grated parmesan cheese to each plate plus a quick drizzle of olive oil.

Serves 6 as a main course, serves 10 as a pasta course.

fatnhappy
03-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Don't forget the pork. You've gotta add the pork and sausage

silverado
03-08-2014, 09:21 PM

Melt one stick of butter

Throw one pound of cooked pasta into skillet with crab, butter and garlic, add salt and black and red pepper to taste. Plate up and add a tablespoon of fresh grated parmesan cheese to each plate plus a quick drizzle of olive oil.

I will have to try that with some blue crabs soon seeing as they will be in Che chesapeake bay soon

Lloyd Smale
03-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I actually like mine with homemade venison italian sausage and altough my wife thinks im nuts spegetti at my house also has sliced peperoni in it.
Don't forget the pork. You've gotta add the pork and sausage

6bg6ga
03-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Went to the grocery store looking for Hunts brand. No stores in my neck of the woods carry it.

Lloyd Smale
03-09-2014, 01:30 PM
keep in mind when your looking for it that it comes in a can not a jar.

6bg6ga
03-09-2014, 03:50 PM
keep in mind when your looking for it that it comes in a can not a jar.

Shoot..I was looking for a jar. I'll remember to look for a can now.

Janoosh
03-10-2014, 11:29 AM
+1 on the venison sausage. A good friend of mine uses venison ribs instead of beef or pork and the flavor is great. Brown the ribs in olive oil and then add everything else. Simmer til the meat falls off the bone.

MaryB
03-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Hunts is okay as a base if I run out of home canned sauce, usually keep a dozen cans in the pantry

Lloyd Smale
03-11-2014, 05:55 AM
id come over for that any night!!!

Melt one stick of butter

StrawHat
03-11-2014, 06:36 AM
I realize this is mostly about tomato based gravies but a simple white saue is also easy.

Prepare pasta as desired. In a saute pan, olive oil and garlic (sliced, chopped whole, howeever you like it). Suate for several minutes over medium high flame. Add a can or two of minced clams and a bottle or two of clam juice. Saute for a couple of minutes. Pour over pasta and add a handful of chopped oregano.

With a glass of wine and some crusty bread, a quick and easy meal. Add candle light and even after twenty years, it is still romantic.

Janoosh
03-11-2014, 08:52 AM
+1 strawhat. For the late summer, when it's hot.
a light olive oil (in flavor)
Garlic to taste
saute till garlic is clear.
Zucchini chopped, sliced, diced...whatever your taste
saute with oil/garlic
add white wine....
Simmer
add oregano, FRESH basil, onion to taste.
in your macaroni pot, cook up rigatoni, or thin spaghetti or thin fettucini.
when firm to the tooth, drain pasta, put back in large pot, add zucchini.
Enjoy with family, friends.

Janoosh
03-11-2014, 08:57 AM
If you want meat with this meal, marinate chicken breasts in italian dressing.
Grill.....and baste with dressing
add to pasta or serve on the side.
This meal is meant to be light for when it's just too hot out and you don't wants a heavy meal.

reloader28
03-11-2014, 10:25 AM
WOW, so many different versions.
I never thought about it, but I could add my deer brats to the sauce. That might be OK.

I aint been here for a couple days and forgot this thread.
Thanks for all the recipies.

yoter
03-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Chili w/o beans!

Whiterabbit
03-24-2014, 02:09 PM
I can't believe meat has been mentioned but sparingly, and not at all until post #13.

fat in pan (I like bacon ends and pieces, chopped)
onions (LOTS) till translucent.
Meat #1 to brown, meat #2 to brown, meat #3 to brown*
*special note meats shall come form different animals. I like pig cow chicken, lamb is good too if you steam the fat off first. bone-in is OK, like chicken wings or drumettes. chopped cuts or ground, whatever your taste. Heck, whole turkey legs are never a bad decision!
For shredded meat sauce, brown lightly or not at all. For chunky sauce, slice and brown heavy. Sausage is a must. sometimes separate from meat 1, 2, and 3.
add garlic in the quantity of "unholy amount of" one minute before liquid. chop it first or don't. Garlic is the greatest food on Earth behind bacon.

Add liquid:
white wine or vodka or redwine (way sparingly on red wine if you use it or else your sauce will taste like an oak tree) to deglaze.
fill with tomato of choice to cover (chopped fresh, canned diced, canned stewed, homemade stewed, straight canned sauce, whatever)
add a few pads of tomato paste.
If there's no oil slick from the bacon fat (you did it wrong), add a tbs of butter.

add the greens:
Italian seasoning or Simon and Garfunkel seasoning (Parsley sage rosemary and thyme, go light on parsley)
chopped fresh basil (tons. seriously.) chopped as coarse or as fine as desired, from "not-at-all" to "blenderized".
smidge of fennel seed never hurt anyone.
If you put sugar in your sauce may God have mercy on your soul.

wait 3 hours. If you have any red wine left now's a good time to put it into the cook.

30 minutes before done, add reconstituted mushrooms of whatever variety you like. Chopped. Add reconstitution liquid. discard sediment at the bottom. Chop mushrooms. If you forgot the sausage, add it now. Put the pot on boil for pasta now.

slightly rounded palm full of pepper, then lightly salt to finish if needed (no real need for salt, and your heart will be happier for it anyways)

Invite friends, cause it's gonna be a wee rich, and in absurd quantity.

SSGOldfart
03-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Homemade Butter

Whiterabbit
03-24-2014, 02:14 PM
If you are really good you will parboil the pasta, shake dry, and finish in the sauce. If you simmer long enough it'll get too thick, GOOD. add a cup of pasta water to thin it out.

Janoosh
03-26-2014, 09:59 PM
+1 Whiterabbit..ok..a MEAT sauce.
olive oil with gusto (a lot of flavor)
Garlic. (Yes..that ungodly amount, you want to smell it when you sweat)
Onions
bell peppers
Chop Meat...but not just any chop meat..pork, veal, beef.
tomato paste
chopped tomato's
pureed tomato
Plum tomato's
cook garlic in oil till almost brown
add meat (venison is also great here)
brown meat and leave coarse (dont break it up all the way)
Add all tomato.products, and some water
simmer for a church service and then some (3 hrs sounds about right)
Yell at kids for eating all the bread
salt, pepper to taste
add bell pepper.near end so they remain firm.
serve over rigotoni with fresh ricotta cheese.on the side
the pasta you use needs to hold the gravy.
enjoy with family/ friends. ..this should be a hearty meal..in texture and flavor.

Janoosh
03-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Apologies to all...I forgot..
Basil. . (the kind you froze in the bag over the summer so you can have it all winter) or better yet...fresh...and leave it coarse
Oregano...to taste. ..fresh if you can get it. ..
cant believe I forgot the basil. .
parsley. ...to taste..
just cant believe it..

StrawHat
03-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Hey Janoosh, I can't believe you forgot the basil in Post 48!

Lloyd Smale
03-28-2014, 05:52 AM
I do that sometimes for a quick meal. A pack of ven. bratts cut up into about 1 inch peices in speggetti sause with some flat noodles. Another quick one for bratts is beany weeny. Take some baked beans (hopefully homemade canned ones) and chop up bratts in them instead of hot dogs. Wife loves bratts that way.
I never thought about it, but I could add my deer brats to the sauce. That might be OK.

I aint been here for a couple days and forgot this thread.

reloader28
03-28-2014, 09:30 AM
That sounds perfect. My brats turned out a touch on the dry side.
Since my plan was to get rid of some deer meat, I made it 50/50 deer/ground pork.
It works, but it is a little dry

Whiterabbit
03-28-2014, 12:02 PM

Do you know how hard it is to mess up meat + onion/garlic + tomato?

:)

nagantguy
03-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Some good ones here, what I was taught from my grandmother was no particular recipe, never exactly the same depended on what was in season and what the sauce would be served over. The only hard rule, and it took me till my 30s to understand is the tomatoes should make the statement the meat makes the sauce and the seasoning ties it together. It must be made with love and its always better the second day!! I really miss her she was a real lady, tough farm girl, and a walking encyclopida of gardening and canning.

WILCO
03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
It must be made with love and its always better the second day!! I really miss her she was a real lady, tough farm girl, and a walking encyclopida of gardening and canning.

She sounds like a real treasure Nagantguy. Thanks for sharing.

Janoosh
03-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Y'know strawhat....like preheating your mold or fluxing alloy....I thought adding Basil in spaghetti sauce was a given.....LOL

Janoosh
03-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Thank You. ..nagantguy...that's great.

cephas53
04-30-2014, 06:18 AM
Have been cooking "Sugo al ragù di carne" from page 1 for awhile and usually get a couple meals out of it. A change I do is equal amounts of pork and beef. Had a couple cups left over and used it as pizza sauce last night adding pepperoni and mozzarella. Very good.