PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

Jeff82
03-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Has anyone read a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook? I'm thinking about getting a copy and was wondering if it is helpful to experienced casters. I'm also wondering if it has load information for the Lee 158-grain RNFP bullet.

Thanks,

--Jeff

Bohica793
03-06-2014, 10:42 AM
I have this and use it daily. I have read it cover to cover twice and seemed to learn something each read. I think it is a must have. There is data for a number of Lee bullets, but I cannot specifically say this one is present.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Jeff, it's THEE book.
good luck,
Jon

largom
03-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Get the new edition AND the older editions as well. Also would suggest the cast bullet book by Veral Smith at Lead Bullet Technology. Do a web search for LBT.

Larry

jmort
03-06-2014, 11:14 AM
A must have.

C. Latch
03-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Get a copy and log off of the internet until you have read it all. Well worth the time.

Bzcraig
03-06-2014, 11:20 AM
It is unanimous, get the book and it does have loads listed for that Lee boolit.

Dan Cash
03-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Not quite unanimous. As an experienced caster, my copy of the third edition, Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is not nearly as helpful as a couple of my older Lyman books from the early to mid 50s. It is a case of improving something so that it has less value.

03-06-2014, 11:34 AM
I have the first, third, and fourth editions (have never seen the second edition) have read them numerous times, refer to them constantly, and consider them to be the published (paper or electronic) cast boolit load authority. While my casting methods vary from some of theirs, especially those mentioned in the fourth edition, they are excellent learning guides.

There is an out-of-print RCBS manual, too Though it is not nearly as comprehensive, it is a great cross-reference to any of the Lyman handbooks. Originally, it was hardcover, but it seems that someone is publishing it in a spiral-bound version and selling it on ebay.

AlaskanGuy
03-06-2014, 11:39 AM
I have the 3rd on my ipad and the 4th in print.... Get it, you wont be sorry.... For reference, even if the one mold you want isnt in there, you can find many similar molds that will have applicable load data.....and if you want somebody to check to see if a mold is in there, ask for it by caliber, that is how the data is sorted, not by mold....

AG

monadnock#5
03-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Every Lyman reloading hanbook out there has cast reloading data on some number of boolits.
Since the Mid Cretaceous Period, Lyman has researched, designed, manufactured, discontinued many molds, and attracted a huge fan base for their products.
Not every boolit ever produced by Lyman is to be found in every manual.
Therefore, never pass up an opportunity to add to your shelf of Lyman manuals.

Guesser
03-06-2014, 04:35 PM
The 4th edition is good, as it introduces Lyman to the 21st century, actually acknowledging that there are other casting tools being used. That said; 3rd edition was not worth the time for me to go thru it. The second edition was worth while because it was a new format from the best one of all. The first edition is my favorite, it plays very well with the Lyman handbooks before and after 1957. Lyman Reloading handbook #46 was a much better tool for cast bullet shooters than Lyman cast bullet handbook #3.

380AUTO
03-06-2014, 08:25 PM
I recently picked up a copy is an awesome book

trapper9260
03-06-2014, 08:37 PM
The 3rd give more info of how to then the 4th .I have both and it is worth it and also read them and you will learn alot I have first got the 3rd when I first started and that how i started to cast boolits.Then I went from there and then get info off the internet when i started to get more info and I got alot of it on here after.And still looking for differnet info and data.

bangerjim
03-06-2014, 11:01 PM
This book has all the load data I use every day! It and the Lee Modern Loading is just about all the load data we casters need. If you are doing jacketed, you will need other books also.

But get it! And the older version...........if you can find it.

banger