PDA

View Full Version : Electronic scale advice

Wasalmonslayer
03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I was thinking about getting an electronic scale. Do you guys have any advice on which ones are good and or which ones to stay away from.

Thanks in advance

Calamity Jake
03-06-2014, 01:05 AM
Not all, but most are made by Pact, that's the one I've owned for about 12 years, am very satisifed.

jmort
03-06-2014, 01:32 AM
Get the one from Brian Enos. He is extremely picky about what scale he sells.
Lifetime warranty and accurate to .02 grains. Go to www.brianenos.com and click on store tab and click on digital. You will not get a better scale.

sidecarmike
03-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Don't buy a Lyman. I gave up an RCBS 304 when I ordered this ***. One of life's big mistakes. I can zero this thing, lift the pan off and set it back on and the scale will read 2 or 3 grains. Lift it off again and it may read -6. The only way I get a consistent reading is if I press down on the scale hard enough to get an error on the screen. Then it returns to zero when I lift my finger.

dragon813gt
03-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Not all, but most are made by Pact, that's the one I've owned for about 12 years, am very satisifed.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Most are not made by PACT. Most are made in China and are junk. Most of the ones that are marketed towards reloaders are not meant for trickling powder. Name one that's currently being sold and I've most likely owned it. I tried them out as an experiment. Almost all of them failed. Any scale that is battery only is garbage. They shut off as they are just getting warmed up. And I found them to not be repeatable. The displayed weight would vary depending on where the object was located in the pan. Buy one that can be AC powered. I have a PACT DPPS and a RCBS Chargemaster. I use them both and both work great. Buy PACT if you want one that is made in the US w/ as many US parts as possible. As far as the dispensers go the Chargemaster is the best of the bunch. You get what you pay for when it comes to scales.

I have not tried the Brian Enos scale but trust that it works properly. There are also some gem scales that that work very well. You will hear from people who have only tried one scale and they will tell you how great it is. They are not all equal. Buy one that you can plug in.

Wasalmonslayer
03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the input about the scales. I think you have a very good point dragon about the ac power. I never thought about that point. I have experienced what you are talking about with other critical battery powered items powering down and causing inaccuracy.

RickinTN
03-06-2014, 10:03 AM
I've had a set of PACT scales for 15+ years. They are AC powered. Early on I checked them against my RCBS 10-10 scales several times, and each they fully agreed. I also have checked them against several other balance-beam scales along the way and they have always fully agreed. Early in their career I had some unusual readouts with the scales telling me something was wrong. About 3 minutes on the phone with PACT and going through a sequence they suggested had them running properly again. I couldn't be more pleased and if I needed another set I wouldn't hesitate to buy the PACT scale again.
Good Luck,
Rick

Bullshop
03-06-2014, 10:21 AM
I have a Dillon that has been in constant use for at least 10 years and I bought it used. It works on AC power as well as common 9volt battery.
I will buy another if this one ever dies.

jmort
03-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I have no interest in Brian Enos, never purchased anything from him, but I heard nothing but great things around the web about the scale he used to sell, and when I went to check one day the item was missing. Sent him an email and he said he could not get it any longer and would not sell a scale that did not work, but mentioned the GEM 250 had a good reputation on his forum. I checked it out and agree. But then when I checked back he had a new scale up on his site AC and battery power and with high precision. I'm not sure you will get better than .02 grain accuracy for $150 with a lifetime warranty. Once again I'm saving up for one from Brian Enos.

PS I checked out the Dillion scale and it is around the same price but it is accurate to .1 grain. So you can see then, the very high quality of the scale from Enos at .02 grain accuracy.

PSS I checked the PACT scales and the RCBS Chargemasters and they are accurate to .1 as well.

So those are blunt instruments compared to the one Enos is selling.

dragon813gt
03-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Do you really need more than .1 accuracy? Even w/ tiny 380 cases that .1 range is more than adequate. Obviously a more precise scale is better. But that resolution is not needed for reloading. The price is right for the scale that Brian Enos sells. If I didn't already own a PACT I would be purchasing that one.

jmort
03-06-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't disagree, but If you are paying the same price, why not? I use dippers for all powder charging, and I use scales infrequently, but after seeing so many positive reviews/posts, I determined to save up for the scale Enos sells. It is a good deal. I been saving for a burner for smelting, and do I need a Blichmann burner, no, but for $150.00 it is worth every penny. Mostly I am a Lee Precision type guy, with a couple exceptions.

country gent
03-06-2014, 01:24 PM
I have used the rcbs ( early chargemaster set up) Dillon both the early 1500 grn and newer 750 grn models, and a Hornady. All of these were .1 grn accurate and useable some more than others. The dillons were very good about holding zeros and such. The RCBS was very good at holding zeros and settings, but with the Charge master set up it was slow. I found dropping a [powder charge 2-5 grns light really sped things up as it trickled charges from start to finish. 2-5 grns would allow it to start with the high speed tube when you hit the start button. It was a very good set up once yyou played with it and figured it out. The Hornady was adequate occasionally shifted zero . I now have a Gem pro 250 Im using and it is a very good scales .02 grns accuracy, with practice you can trickle to it. Large back lit readout, smaller size overall, Comes with AC adaptor, anti vibration pad, leveling feet and level bubble in scales, Dust cover check setting wieght. The pan that comes with it is plastic so I used a RCBS replacement on it. This scales reads in like 5 diffrent modes, its actually ment for gem stones, precious metals and such. For the utmost in accuracy I have an analitical balance its as accurate as the wieghts you use on the one side.

jmort
03-06-2014, 01:29 PM
The GEM 250 is what Brian Enos recommended as discussed. I am going to get the unit he is currently on brianenos.com

bobthenailer
03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I bought a Dillon when they first came out many years ago , i personaly have never had any problems !
Keep you old beam scale just in case you would need it in the furture!

JesterGrin_1
03-06-2014, 04:23 PM
I have the RCBS chargemaster and have no idea why I waited so long to get one. Great Machine.

John Boy
03-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Excellent ... http://dx.com/p/1-7-lcd-high-precision-digital-jewelry-scale-50g-0-001g-4-x-aaa-101011

clownbear69
03-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Ive have the Hornady GS-1500. Just make sure you don't get rid of your manual scale (unless its a LEE) No matter how good it is it can always fail

w5pv
03-06-2014, 05:57 PM
I have had a couple of el cheap o's and will not buy another.I will stay with the beam scale for my uses.

Wasalmonslayer
03-07-2014, 01:17 AM
I appreciate the input. I think I am leaning towards the pact. I am very cautious about my weights I double check everything weight wise. I have a 10-10 scale and plan on verifying a lot until I know it is consistent.
Thanks for all the input and appreciate the wisdom.

sirgknight
03-07-2014, 12:09 PM
My method of madness has always been to use at least one mechanical scale rather than any one kind of "electrical" scale, whether it is plugged in or battery operated. IMO a mechanical balance beam scale can be recalculated before each use, thus verifying the accuracy without any kind of electrical false reading. I do use a very inexpensive jewelry scale in addition to the beam scale just for reassurance purposes, and it is great for verifying bullet weights, etc. Just my 2 cents worf.

country gent
03-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Another thing to remember about scales (both digital and mechanical) is to keep them away from drafts or breezes. Even a heat ducts output can affect them. Some digitals are also affected by electrical frequencies, given off by other electrical equipment, florescent lights, and or vibrations. Cycling a press with heavy forming on a "light" bench may cause a scales to fluctuate or jump. Sometimes set-up is as important as the equipment.

dudel
03-09-2014, 01:34 PM
At lot of people with electronic scales talk about their accuracy; but very few talk about their sensitivity. Cut a 1/4 inch square of paper and drop it on a beam scale. Most beam scales (even a Lee) will register a change. Do the same with a digital scale, and you could be surprised about how many squares of paper you have to drop before you get a reading.

Repeatability is a function of many things. An easy (and cheap) way is to reduce the resolution of the strain gauge. You get the same reading due to lowered resolution, not increased accuracy.

As with cars; good, fast or cheap. Pick any two. I'll stick with my beam scale. A digital would be nice; but a cheap one for weighing powder is a waste of money (IMO); and I can't justify the cost of a good right now. I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight that works great for counting brass and boolits; I wouldn't use if for powder (it doesn't do 1/10 of a grain).

jmort
03-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Strain gauge is where the rubber meets the road on digitals. That is where the prior model sold by Brian Enos excelled. The new one he sells and the GEM 250 have excellent strain gauges from what I have seen from user/owner reviews.

deepskyridge
03-09-2014, 02:18 PM
The one Brian Enos sells also comes with a Lifetime Warranty. My dillon just died, no warranty. I am going to replace it with the one Brian sells.

jmort
03-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Finally someone with some good sense to try it out and report back. Saving up for one as well. He would not sell it unless it was excellent quality.

ColColt
03-10-2014, 03:50 PM
This topic spurred my interested even though I already have a digital scale. It doesn't dispense powder into a pan, you have to weigh each charge. I'm wondering if the PACT dispenser could handle accurately measuring a powder like them big kernels of H4831.

http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=126

dragon813gt
03-10-2014, 04:20 PM
The PACT dispenser is extremely slow. And it has to relearn every time you change powder. This may not be a big deal to some. But w/ the Chargemaster you just change powders, enter the weight and hit dispense. The PACT dispenser's biggest drawback is it's speed, or lack there of.

ColColt
03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
But does either handle the coarser grain powders well?

John Boy
03-10-2014, 04:32 PM
For those that are skittish that digital weight readings are not accurate may I suggest:
* CALIBRATION WEIGHTS! Say 100 grams (1543.2gr). Drop them in the beam balance pan = 1543.2gr. Then set the electronic to grams and weigh the calibration weights = 100.0 grams
To me ... the digital scale in grains is accurate

AbitNutz
03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
I just ordered this. A little cheaper through Amazon. Same 30 year warranty.
http://www.amazon.com/My-Weigh-GemPro-250-50gX0-001g/dp/B004C3I3AA

ColColt
03-10-2014, 09:10 PM
I think after reading this excellent report I'd go with it.

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers02.html#ChargeMaster

wis40
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Have had the Hornady locknload auto-charge scale for about a month now and am quite happy with it. No scale dispenses every powder perfectly but with this one you have the ability to adjust the dispense speed. I like that i can be seating boolits or whatever while my next charge is dropping in the pan. With the coarser grain powders i have just set the target load a llittle light and you can get pretty accurate. My experience anyway.WIS40

DougGuy
03-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I must have gotten lucky. I got the el cheapo MTM from Titan Reloading, haven't had any trouble with it at all, it will NOT tolerate any kind of air movement in the room you are using it in, I zero it with an empty case, throw a charge into that case and trickle it to the exact tenth that I am measuring, and it seems very consistent and very accurate.

ColColt
03-12-2014, 06:45 PM
The Hornady dispenser appears to be a good one. I know H4831 would really be the powder to put it to the test.

AbitNutz
03-12-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm waiting for the Gempro 250 to arrive as well as the Omega powder trickler. I thought this was a gimmick widget and it may well be but the reviews from all directions are positively glowing. The youtube videos are extremely positive.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder-handling/powder-tricklers/dandy-products-omega-powder-trickler-prod45059.aspx

aap2
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
But does either handle the coarser grain powders well?

My reloading buddy and I have been using the RCBS Chargemaster Combo for about 5 years now and it's been a great machine. I use a lot of SR4759 which has large grains (meters like gravel), but the RCBS handles it great.

ColColt
03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
I thought this was a gimmick widget and it may well be but the reviews from all directions are positively glowing. The youtube videos are extremely positive.

I think I'd pass on it. Looks like a Rube Goldberg jobbie to me.

country gent
03-12-2014, 08:40 PM
AbitzNut, I have the gem pro 250 model Great scales to use. Now while the wifes distracted order a set of RCBS check wieghts to go with it.
To those qyestioning the Charge master any powder wieghts thru it accurately it uses 2 trickler tubes A "high speed" tube and "slow" tube trickles the complete charge start to finish into the scales. Mine has the infra red beam that allows scales and charger to "talk" to each other.Mines accurate with any powder Ive put in it. But Large charges of powder are slow to run start to finish with it. What I have taken to doing for charges over 20 grns is set the measure to throw light by 3-5 grns drop the base charge hit start button and let it finish the last little bit. I think most of these automatic measure work the same and this teqniuqe would probably work with any of them. I have a couple Harrells measures and they also throw very accurate charges of 4350 IMR 4831 4320 4064 Reloader 12 15 17 but they are expensive.
For most electornic scales there are no leveling abilities a leveling plate is a big plus to accuracy. A simple square plate of alluminun, steel or brass 3/8" to 1/2" thick with a 1/4" 20 or 28 tapped hole in each corner big enough for the scales to set on with room to spare. Set it with a level in both directions with the screws. My charge master sets on one of these to keep everything true and in line. A solid base or mount and bench is mandatory to get consistent operations from a scales powder measure or precission equipment. If the scales jumps or floats when the press is cycled there are issues to deal with. If the funrace blower coming on affects measurements theres an issue. Bumping the bench and it floats another issue.
a couple reasons the measures mounted on progressive presses are consistent is 1) press operation is very consistent to feed and force 2) a solid mount no shake or give there.
For scales to be consistant and accurate they need to be level out of drafts or breezes, electronics need to be away from high frequency electrics. Keep them clean and handle gently use a soft long haired brush and or canned air ( low pressure) to clean. Check zeros at the start of each session with check wieghts and occasionally thru long sessions, Keep covered when not in use ( a light box or plastic container that fits easly and freely over it works nicely) This keeps dust off, things getting set on it, or bumps and bangs. Place items to be wieghed gently in pan.

dragon813gt
03-12-2014, 08:46 PM
You must have an old Chargemaster. The current ones snap together to form the unit, no IR. It comes with adjustable legs to level it. And there is only one tube for dispensing. But it does run at two speeds. It's also fully adjustable as far as programing goes. A google search will yield all this info since RCBS doesn't publish it. Some people want to adjust when it shifts from high to low to speed it up w/ large charges.

country gent
03-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Yes mine is an early one replaced an amt auto measure ( Now that really dates me) that was even slower. Mine is useable but when loading the match ammo for a high power season time becomes an issue. I found dropping a light charge in was greatly faster. I havent used it alot since buying the harrels measures. I spent many years measuring and gaging from a 4'x6'X8" thk granite plate. When it came time to do final check before job left tool room. The new one piece set ups are nicer but enough improvement to justify the cost of upgrading? I am going to e-mail RCBS and see if the charge master can be used with black powder. ( drop2f at 80 grns finish wieght to 85 grns). Mine was slow with 308 243 300 win mag but it is accurate

jaysouth
03-12-2014, 09:17 PM
As I read the OP, he was asking about an electronic device that weights things placed on them. Some of the responses refer to electronic devices that dispense powder.

What are we talking about here?

AbitNutz
03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
One thing to consider when employing a digital scale is....line noise from your AC power. In my area of the country the line noise is absolutely epic. Some reduce the problem by using a noise suppressing surge protector, which is probably the best way to go. Others use feral magnets that clamp around the cord. You can also use both. Either way, it is really a best practice when using an electronic scale.

I'm willing to bet that a scale suffering with a noisy electrical connection will be less accurate and more error prone. I'm a computer engineer and I know what effect dirty power has on, not only the life of the electronics but on it's functionality.

dragon813gt
03-12-2014, 10:29 PM
As I read the OP, he was asking about an electronic device that weights things placed on them. Some of the responses refer to electronic devices that dispense powder.

What are we talking about here?

They are one in the same. Al the dispensers employ electronic scales. And all of them can be used independently of the dispensers. The dispensers use better scales that you can use for trickling powder. Otherwise the dispensers wouldn't work. W/ the Chargemaster you can buy the scale independently. This gives you the option to add the dispenser later. You end paying quite a bit more when you go this route.

03-12-2014, 10:31 PM
This couldn't be further from the truth. Most are not made by PACT. Most are made in China and are junk. Most of the ones that are marketed towards reloaders are not meant for trickling powder. Name one that's currently being sold and I've most likely owned it. I tried them out as an experiment. Almost all of them failed. Any scale that is battery only is garbage. They shut off as they are just getting warmed up. And I found them to not be repeatable. The displayed weight would vary depending on where the object was located in the pan. Buy one that can be AC powered. I have a PACT DPPS and a RCBS Chargemaster. I use them both and both work great. Buy PACT if you want one that is made in the US w/ as many US parts as possible. As far as the dispensers go the Chargemaster is the best of the bunch. You get what you pay for when it comes to scales.

I have not tried the Brian Enos scale but trust that it works properly. There are also some gem scales that that work very well. You will hear from people who have only tried one scale and they will tell you how great it is. They are not all equal. Buy one that you can plug in.

Good advice and mirrors my own experience. I sell a bit of reloading gear and no longer even carry any of the pocket models. Probably 50% of those that I sold came back with problems of one sort or another in the first 6 months.
If your looking for a sub $100 scale to weigh powder then get a beam scale, I would even recommend the Lee balance beam over cheap digital.

Wasalmonslayer
03-13-2014, 12:52 AM
After all the input. I think I will stick with my manual scale and invest the dollars I save in lead :)
Some times it is just easier to keep it simple stupid.
Thanks again for the input guys
Wasalmonslayer