PDA

View Full Version : 375's bump up from 358's, or 358's drawn down from 375's Swaging question

AKbushman49
03-05-2014, 09:11 PM
OK, swagers: I just inherited a CSP-1, 2 sets of dies, 257, and 375. Nothing for 375 'cept 2 die set. No point forming, or jackets. These are Corbin S type. Looking for opinions on the soft copper tubing jacket dies. (Have read the soft 3/8 rolled tubing can be a real PITA) but I have lots of it (.035" wall). I am also looking into 358 possibilities (358 Norma). Hence my question, simpler/easier to bump up 358's to 375. Or draw down 375's to 358? I see where BT Sniper bumped up a Sierra Match King to 338. But doubt if the Sierra's jacket thickness was .035". I've done some swaging but not with soft tubing jackets. Previous experience was with J4's in smaller cals. Advice from more experienced swagers will be most appreciated.
bushman

clodhopper
03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
bumping up will keep the jacket tight on the core.
If you have .375 dies and a .375 rifle, consider useing either 380 auto or .223 cases for jackets.

runfiverun
03-05-2014, 11:29 PM
so for the 375 you have what, a core swage die and a core seat die?
if you have those I'd suggest you get a point form die/punch and some jackets.
if you have a core swage die you can use it to make your cores from boolits cast from soft lead.
generally a 2 die set consists of a core seat die and a point form die.
but to make decent bullets you have to work a system and either buy or make jackets.
if you want to use tubing you generally have to do some drawing step[s], annealing, and a fold for the base. [that's just to make a jacket]

Wolftracker
03-06-2014, 12:46 AM
I've found rolled tubing to be too soft to work with unless you get the harder grade so I just use Corbin's tubing or .223 cases to make jackets. You will need a tubing jacket maker set and a point forming die. You'll want to talk to Dave Corbin to make sure you have the punches to match the tubing wall thickness and possibly a jacket reducer die or to reduce your tubing to make 358's and a core seat and point former as well. I'd think you would lose the connection of the core to the jacket if you reduced 375's to 358. This is not a simple or cheap process and there is a learning curve that probably means some trial and error (don't ask me how I know). Also, I wouldn't expect extreme accuracy from tubing jacketed bullets, just average and if you get better, great!

midnight
03-06-2014, 08:04 AM
I make 375 copper tubing jackets from 3/8 refrigeration tubing using Richard Corbin's equipment. I then run them through the draw die for making jackets from 223 cases. No problems at all unless you try to make a jacket a little too long for the die set.

Bob

AKbushman49
03-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Will keep you posted on the progress of this project. bushman