PDA

View Full Version : Wilson case trimmer turned HP'er

LeadThrower
12-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Have any of you pros turned your Wilson case trimmer into a hollow pointer? If so, can you provide guidance?
Thanks in advance for your insights!

leftiye
12-22-2007, 01:18 PM
My LeBlond makes excellent hollow points. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Denver
12-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Don't have the Wilson trimmer, but have the Forster power trimmer with a hollow pointer. Works great. Even with the hand cranked version, I believe it's faster than casting HPs although I confess to never having tried casting any.

Denver :Fire:

S.R.Custom
12-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Have you ever done a before & after accuracy comparison? I've thought about the Forster unit, but I'm concerned about the precision of the unit and getting the hole in the center...

Denver
12-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Have you ever done a before & after accuracy comparison? I've thought about the Forster unit, but I'm concerned about the precision of the unit and getting the hole in the center...

I have shot a few rounds that the hole was visibly off center slightly. They shot within the same group close enough that I wasn't able to tell that they were greatly affected. The drill guide that they furnish is a sort of "one size fits all" that works OK if you're careful to line everything up before drilling. I intend to make caliber specific guides that should better insure proper lineup.

When the weather improves, I want to do some group comparisons using HP'd boolits, off center cavities, and boolits not HP'd .

Denver

dk17hmr
12-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I just use my drill press. Clamp the drill bit in a vise and chuck the bullet in the drill. This seems to work very well for me.

LeadThrower
12-26-2007, 08:31 PM
SuperMag,
There was a thread started by Bass Ackward a while back ("hangun accuracy shocker", or some such title...) which mentions the benefits of HPing, including surprising benefits even when not entirely on center. If my memory is working, Beagle did a lot of the preliminary research.

Doug, I like the idea of your method, but doesnt the chuck deform the boolit significantly?

dk17hmr
12-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Nope, I only go hand tight, dont use a chuck key. It may take a few to get the hang of it. If you HP them before you size them there shouldnt be any problem.

The main thing is to get your feed speed right and use a lube, W-D or something like it.

I had a thread about the way I HP do a search of dk17hmr or hollow pointing, you should find it.

ozbornm
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
THis works great for making hollow points. I have never personally done it but a buddy used to do it all the time.