PDA

View Full Version : Is there a use for spent .22 Long Rifle Cases?

bedbugbilly
03-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Didn't really know where to post this. Probably sounds like a stupid question but I know there are a lot of innovative guys on here who fiddle around with a lot of ideas and projects. I shoot .22 L.R once in a great while, am at ranges where I can pick up spent LR casings once in a while and have a friend who shoots it occasionally and it usually goes in the scrap brass bucket.

Besides "scrap" value . . . does anyone use spent .22 LR brass casings to make other things out of? Normally, I don't bother to even pick it up but if there was someone who uses spent LR casings for other projects, I'd pick it up and save it and pass it on.

Thanks.

ratitude
03-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Check out the guys in the swaging section.

45 2.1
03-05-2014, 07:08 PM
One can make jacketed .224 caliber rifle bullets out of them. This was big after WW2 when Speer among others made them for commercial sale. Corbin among others makes dies to do this.

1950Hudson
03-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Yes. Save all you can get. Look in the swaging section to see how .22 cases turn into bullets for rifles.

If you get enough, you can give it away, or put it in the swappin and selling section and see what they will bring.

cainttype
03-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Fred Huntington thought so, some 70 odd years ago... He made dies to draw them into jackets for 22 cal bullets (WWII caused somewhat of a shortage, as you can imagine) and then designed presses to use them. The name Rock Chuck Bullet Swage was born...RCBS.

Zymurgy50
03-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Just today I finished running 4500 +/- Federal 22lr cases through the de-rim die, now it is on to sorting and weighing. Aiming to make 52gn, 55gn, and possibly 60gn .224 bullets. 22lr can also be used for .243 bullets, but length of the jacket makes for a lead tip bullet vs. open point in the .224

bedbugbilly
03-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Thanks all - I didn't think about the swaging section - duh! LOL Now that I know, I'll start saving them when I find 'em and after I've got a bunch, will post in the WTS/WTT section. Not really interested in getting anything for them - just hate to see stuff go to waste if someone can use it. Thanks again!

kryogen
03-06-2014, 08:22 AM
i just sell to scrap

knobster
03-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Fred Huntington thought so, some 70 odd years ago... He made dies to draw them into jackets for 22 cal bullets (WWII caused somewhat of a shortage, as you can imagine) and then designed presses to use them. The name Rock Chuck Bullet Swage was born...RCBS.

So that's what RCBS stands for...

I've watched a number of videos on bullet swaging. Very, very cool but unfortunately I have more time than money and that equipment is 'spensive!

osteodoc08
03-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Huh, I honestly didnt know that. You learn something new every day. Where did the Rock Chuck come from?

Grump
03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks all - I didn't think about the swaging section - duh! LOL Now that I know, I'll start saving them when I find 'em and after I've got a bunch, will post in the WTS/WTT section. Not really interested in getting anything for them - just hate to see stuff go to waste if someone can use it. Thanks again!

Ah, a friend here who understands the difference between salvage/scrap value and the value of "fabricated goods".

That's why gold chain sells for more than the melt value. There's odd market artsy stuff at play too in that realm.

Me, I just use 'em to punch holes in belts and other softer things. A little case mouth chamfering to sharpen it up and you can get up to four punch operations out of one.

Should start saving them for the jacketed bullet making hobbyists

Grump
03-06-2014, 10:50 AM
[snip] Where did the Rock Chuck come from?

Rock chuck is the out west name for a type of marmot, another flatlander type is known "wood chucks". Vermin that do great damage to wheat fields and other grain crops. They live in the rock piles out here. Our variety is usually the yellow-bellied marmot. Big front teeth.

sig2009
03-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Ya. Scrap yard. I get $1.80lb for them.

jonp
03-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Check swaging section first. I traded some to a guy for some boolits some time ago.