PDA

View Full Version : 327 Federal?

NSP64
12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
What is this????? Just ran across on the ruger website. Has anyone seen/handled one? smells to me like a rebirth of the old 32 H&R mag.

No_1
12-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I read the article in shooting times. It appears to be a 32 H&R "Super" mag. Very impressive I must say. Would be great in a single shot I am sure.

R.

lathesmith
12-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I just read that same article. Ballistics look comparable to hot-rodded 32/20, with a thick-wall straight-sided case instead of the thinner 32/20. LOTS of folks love the old 32/20 hot-rodded, and I think it is a great round. Whether or not this translates into commercial success remains to be seen. I think if the 32 H&R would have had this kind of ballistics when it first appeared, it would be a lot more popular than it is today. Especially if its intro would have coincided with some lighter, handier revolvers. To me, that is the appeal; chamber the 327 and 357 mag in the Blackhawk, and I'll take the 357 every time. Chamber the 327 in a single-six size or slightly larger package, and I'll sit up and take a long, hard look.
lathesmith

Bullshop
12-22-2007, 01:12 PM
The 32 H&R did come out in small frame revolvers both from H&R and ruger and S&W. I have never seen one in a larger frame.
This sort of thing seems to happen too often that we hear a cry for a certain type gun or cartridge and when it is offered we doom it to extinction.
Some that come to mind are the 358 win, 6mm rem, 22 ccm, 480 ruger and so it goes.
For myself there is the appeal to wildcat. With a more stout case than the 32/20 it will be interesting to see what cute little cartridges but big in performance can come of it, a 227 Federal perhaps. The PD shooters always seem to be going to smaller cases that dont heat barrels so bad but still give decent range. Who knows, lets just hope federal can look outside the box.
BIC/BS

Dale53
12-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Myself, I just load the .32 H&R up to where it "should" be if I need a "magnum". However, for nearly all of my shooting with the .32's, I use the .32 S&W L case and load 2.8 231 behind a 100 gr Keith sized .313". Great, edible small game load. Also, should work well on feral dogs (although, I would prefer the heavier loads for dogs).

My grand father was attacked by a dog pack. Fortunately, he had a Colt Banker's Special .22 in his pocket that put short work to the aspirations of the pack. The .22 is a bit light for that sort of work, but ANY gun that you have with you beats NO gun.

Dale53

S.R.Custom
12-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Generally, I'm leery of the latest cartridge of the week, but this one interests me greatly. That is, it will if S&W takes note of the situation and offers a 6-shot J frame in the 327...

9.3X62AL
12-22-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm with Super Mag on this subject. I did get a Model 16-4 x 6", which I dote upon greatly. I fooled about and didn't get a 4" J-frame, and regret that. A "Kit Gun" in this caliber--4" barrel, NOT FIXED-SIGHT 3"--would appeal to me in no small way. I suspect the 327 is a move to prevent people from trying Real 32 Magnums in the H&R platforms, for which the 32 H&R Mag was loaded to rather docile pressures.

Ruger SP-101 or J-frame Smith would be great, either/or. It appears that Ruger has re-intro'd the 4" SP-101 in 32 Mag, maybe they'll add on the 327 Federal in a similar variant.

NSP64
12-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Maybe someone will offer it in a med frame 7-8 shot, now that would be a hoot to shoot:Fire:

armoredman
12-22-2007, 06:54 PM
I am waiting for the first here to order a custom made mould for the .327 Mag... :)

Stray Round
12-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I've noticed on some of the other forums all of the talk about the 327 concerns its use as a defensive caliber. I think for me, the real use would be as a field or kit gun just like the 32 H&R only with a little more zip for the larger varmits.

Now if Ruger would see fit to bring out a stainless SingleSix with a 4 5/8" bbl and adj. sights, I would retire my little Smith 631.

Lead swc or wc fired by about 2.2-2.4 gr of Bullseye, 231 or Red Dot in 32 long cases is just about as fun as shooting can get and quiter and deadlier than a 22lr.

lovedogs
12-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Personally, I think the .32's have sort of a jinx on them... no matter how good the idea is. Kind of like the 6.5's and 8 mm calibers. No matter how good they just don't seem to make it. Some of us here can recognize the benefits and may like them but if they don't sell well they don't stay in production. The .32's are good little small game and plinking rounds. The articles I've read are touting it as a defensive round. In my humble opinion after spending years in uniform and knowing lots of instances of defense I can't believe the .32 will do it very well. There have been lots of claims for the effectiveness of the 9mm automagics but all I've seen have failed miserably. One doctor friend of mine claims to have seen more cases of people surviving multiple hits with the 9mm's than any other caliber. Of course, part of that has to do with the projectile design. This same doc has the opinion that the .45 ACP and any .44 is almost always fatal. As for me, I'll leave the .25's and .32's to those who don't know any better. I'll stick with my .44's if I really want to defend myself. I've been wrong before but I'll predict that the new .32 won't make it. Too bad because any caliber can be fun but the arms makers are in business to make a good bottom line.

dale2242
12-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Man, I hate it when that happens! Now I have to buy a new gun, dies and mold. Sounds like fun to me.

Bret4207
12-23-2007, 09:12 AM
No doubt it'll be just a popular as the 9mm Federal, 30 American, 222 Mag, 401 Herters Powermag, 32 Win Auto, etc,etc,etc. Americans just don't go for the idea this is based on, others than maybe 500 die hards across the country. If the opposite were true we'd have access to 32's in Kit Guns, Favorites, maybe in a Savage 24 O/U. Oh, and all for under $300.00 brand new. More's the shame.

S.R.Custom
12-23-2007, 10:21 AM
.401 Herter's PowerMag... I almost got one of those at last week's gunshow. Looked quite a bit like a Ruger SBH, right down to the damned alloy ejector rod housing. Like new condition, 50 rounds of factory ammo, 100 rnds of brass, dies... $450.

But then I thought... why? And then proceeded to buy some 7mm Sierra boat tails and four boxes of Winchester Ranger T-series for the Sig P220. Gawd, do I love gunshows.

Loudenboomer
12-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Didn't we been there done that about 30 years ago. Ruger Black Hawk .30 carbine.

AZ-Stew
12-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Supermag and 9.3X62AL are on to the trail on this one...

When this round was first mentioned in the Cast Boolits forum I stated I'd be willing to buy one, given the right platform.

If Smith would come out with a 6-shot J-frame Titanium with a 2.5 inch barrel. it would be the perfect pocket pistol for me. I prefer pocket carry. I'm too big (working on getting smaller) for inside-the-belt carry and it's too damned hot here in AZ for outside-the-belt carry, shoulder carry or any of the other standard carries because they all require a coat to cover the gun. Pants pocket carry works very well for me and the Taurus titanium J-frame copy in .32 H&R I bought 6 months ago works great for my situation. As noted earlier, ANY gun is better than no gun. The solution to marginal power is to apply the power you have to a point on the target where it will do the most good. If this takes more practice, so be it. My only concern with this platform is whether the cylinder would be long enough to accommodate the cartridge.

I also like the idea of a K-frame Smith for this cartridge, and 7 or 8 shots would be wonderful (I'll take six if I have to, but give me the Smith frame and sights). For Bullshop's edification, Smith not only suppled some J-frame guns, but also some K-frames. I have both the 6" and 4" versions. Very nice. I'd like to get my hands on one of the J-frames. I'll keep perusing the gun shows.

Anyway, count me in on this one. It may be loud, but the reduced recoil over the 38/357 J-frames make this one a better defense gun. No, it doesn't have their power, but properly applied, I think it has enough power. Knee joints, hip joints and shoulder joints are all good targets and should be easy enough to hit if you really need a defensive gun.

You're welcome to say, "I told you so", over my grave if it doesn't work out.

Regards,

Stew

GrizzLeeBear
12-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I just stumbled on an article about this yesterday. Man, have I been under a rock or what? The SP101 has long been on my wish list and I still haven't decided what caliber I would like in it, but the .327 sure is interesting. I don't know what Rugers future plans are, but a Single-six or a SP101 with a 4 - 6 inch barrel and adj. sights would make a neat woods gun.
One area I think the .327 could shine in is a Contender barrel. There are a lot of guys using the 32 H&R and 32-20 for both Big Bore and Field Pistol classes. The .327 would be perfect for a dual purpose gun for these events. More power with heavy boolits than the 32 H&R and stronger brass than the 32-20 and straight walled for easier and faster loading with carbide dies.

Dale53
12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
This cartridge will probably not do well if Ruger doesn't change to a real, completely adjustable, rear sight. I really like my SP101 in .32 magnum (4") but I had to add a rear sight (Red Dot) to make it usable for me. Now, I REALLY like it. I have a new "bracket red dot" that is nice and small and now it is more "holsterable".

Dale53

Nueces
12-28-2007, 10:20 PM
More on this, please, Sir.

"bracket red dot" and "holsterable"

94Doug
12-28-2007, 11:53 PM
The Article also mentioned a Carbine as well... I think a small lever action in this caliber sounds kind of cool.

Doug

Scrounger
12-29-2007, 12:41 AM
The Article also mentioned a Carbine as well... I think a small lever action in this caliber sounds kind of cool.

Doug

Don't it ever!!! I'll take two of them....

6pt-sika
12-30-2007, 03:16 AM
I told my dealer about a month ago to get me a SP101 in 327 Federal !!!!

I was in there yesterday and he told me the revlover should be here next week some time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for the bad news !!!!!!!! There is no ammo or brass available yet :roll:

Well at least I already have dies !!!!!!!!!

Now I need to get a set of Hogue grips and some type of high ride holster and all will be good with the world :-D

Bret4207
12-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Knee joints, hip joints and shoulder joints are all good targets and should be easy enough to hit if you really need a defensive gun.
Regards,

Stew

If you have time enough to aim for an elbow or shoulder if ain't like any situation I've ever been in. No offense intended but I've been through this 35-40 times over 20 years and there just isn't time to aim for an elbow. You hold on the big part and pray the fool realizes he's gonna get hurt real bad if he doesn't STOP right now! So far I've been lucky.

I see the 32's as field guns first and protection second, or third. Just my opinion and worth just that much. Any gun is better than none, but given my choice I'll take a 12 gauge over a 32 Mag any day. I used to carry a 25 and still carry a 380 occasionally. It's not something I'm likely to use, more chance I'll shoot a porky or skunk than a drug crazed killer. The smaller cals are last ditch guns and I'm holding for a high chest/throat or head shot, and thats if the fool won't give me a chance to get outta there.

9.3X62AL
12-30-2007, 11:25 AM
+1 to Bret's text.

The 32 calibers were viable options for "defense" when "defense" meant shooting at fleeing unarmed felons going away from you. They are basically Marking Pellets With Attitude. The 32 Magnum is a Marking Pellet With More Attitude--while the 327 Federal is A Pellet With A Bit More.

These days, if you try that stunt you'll get indicted--and either the gunshot recipient or his heirs will be watering their houseplants with Dom Perignon--on your dime. The ONLY people in this day and age that we fire upon are 1) in our face 2) fully armed and 3) projecting lethal force or commencing to. ANY handgun--even in good calibers like 40 S&W or 45 ACP--are COMPROMISES between portability and stopping power that STRONGLY favor the former over the latter. Until someone personally experiences the savagery and horror of armed combat in close quarters, one cannot fully appreciate the negative and likely permanent ramifications of choosing a mediocre platform with which to exchange finality.

The 32 Magnum and 327 Federal are sporting numbers--period. The 327 in a carbine would be a delight--a high-velocity 32-20 with straghtwalled brass amenable to tungsten-carbide sizing dies. After owning lever action carbines in 25-20, 32-20, and 30 Carbine--I'm here to tell you that such rifles are a TON OF FUN. I "might" grab a 327 Federal Kit Gun.......I would DEFINITELY get a lever rifle in 327 Federal.

GrizzLeeBear
12-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Well, you guys are right. There is absolutely no reason for this round to exist. 38+p and 357 mag. can do anything it can do, and better. It is being poo-poo'ed on just about every discussion board on the net. Too loud like a 30 carbine in a handgun, not as much power as a 357 in same size gun, etc, etc.:takinWiz:

Therefore, just like all the same things that were said about the 17 HMR, I predict that this will be a huge commercial success and you won't be able to get your hands on one or ammo. for the 1st year (without paying a premium for it) because it is so popular.:brokenima

If Ruger and others put out some longer barrelled guns with truly adjustable sights and Marlin, Rossi, T/C, etc. jump on it and make carbines for it, I think it will definitely succeed. CCW issues asside, this one just has too much potential field application to be ignored.

Then again, I may be wrong?:?

GrizzLeeBear
12-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Now for the bad news !!!!!!!! There is no ammo or brass available yet :roll:

Sure there is. Didn't you read the adds? You can shoot 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R mag. in it.:-D I know its not quite the same, but it would let you do some shooting with a new gun until the .327 ammo. hits the shelves. Just like shooting 38's in a .357.:Fire:

9.3X62AL
12-30-2007, 08:19 PM
G.L. Bear--

I tend to agree with you about the 17 HMR Effect, because--like the 17 HMR--the 327 Federal offers something largely untried that (once attempted or sampled) is a ton of fun and very effective.

NVcurmudgeon
12-31-2007, 02:44 AM
Defenseive .327 Federal? No thanks, I already have a full size 1911 as part of my winter wardrobe, and a compact 9 to go with more "print" vulnerable clothes, so I'll continue to bow to LEO wisdom. But a Marlin 1894C in .327 Fed. would be a great desert and woods walking companion, without the fragile brass of the .25/20 and .32/20.

6pt-sika
12-31-2007, 03:08 AM
Sure there is. Didn't you read the adds? You can shoot 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R mag. in it.:-D I know its not quite the same, but it would let you do some shooting with a new gun until the .327 ammo. hits the shelves. Just like shooting 38's in a .357.:Fire:

FWIW , I have plenty 32 H&R MAG ammo already loaded for two revolvers and the Marlin lever rifle .

However I did not purchase this thing to shoot 32 S&W or 32 MAG in :???:

Bret4207
12-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Be great in a Kit gun. Better yet a round butt, 6" Kit Gun. Now there's a woods walking gun. And should the pack of rouge dogs or pot growers fall upon you they'll be deaf if not dead.

Now that 32 levergun sounds nice too. Thing is it'll have a MSRP of something on the far side of $600.00 and $600.00 is what I pay for a truck to get to work in. IOW- out of my league. Be nice if this idea would catch on though. Wouldn't it be nice to walk into your favorite gunny shoppe and have the clerk dressed in old comfortable khakis and flannel instead of cammo and to find him discussing the best way to get a wiley ol' gray squirrel to stick his head around a branch, rather than telling sea stories about the combat he never really saw? I'm a lot more comfortable with guys like that than the shaved head/tattoo on the face crowd. I'm dreaming of course. Lots more money selling plastic spray guns to the unwashed masses than the occasional small game rifle to the hunter.

This is the point I usually start whining about the need for a CF version of a 25 Stevens long. I'll just stop since you've heard it all before......:coffee:

6pt-sika
12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
This is the point I usually start whining about the need for a CF version of a 25 Stevens long. I'll just stop since you've heard it all before......:coffee:

There's always a nice old Stevens 44 or 44 1/2 in 25-20SS , 25-21 Stevens or 25-25 Stevens !!!!

Or if ya can't find a nice one you like , call CPA up at Dingmans Ferry PA and have them build you one [smilie=1:

45 2.1
12-31-2007, 12:53 PM

Wouldn't it just be great to have one of these, even the rimfire version. Great shame that someone, like Savage, wouldn't reintroduce the single shot rifle and Winchester make loads of ammo for it. I'd buy several...........

Larry Gibson
12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
There's already two cartridges that are similar and deliver similar ballistics; the HV 32-20 and the .30 Carbine. All those who have them complain about the noise and load them down to .32 H&R ballistics. The 327 Federal makes sense to me.

I've already a M30 S&W .32 S&WL, a Ruger SS .32 H&R with 6" barrel (original run) and a 10" Contender Barrel in .32 H&R. I don't soot .32 S&Ws in the S&WL and I don't shoot either of those in the H&Rs.

I don't have to load the .32 H&R down to get H&R ballistics.

If I'm carrying a handgun for defense it will be more than a .32.

Sorry, just can't get excited about this one.

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
12-31-2007, 02:48 PM
The 327 Federal will be great if it means more 32 caliber Kit Guns, or Marlin 94s. A means to an end for me, not an end in and of itself.

2 dogs
01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I personally am very excited about this new 32. Not only for the new guns that will be chamber for it, but for the Custom Sixgun I am having Alan Harton build for me. HOw about a 5 shot linebored long cylinder Single Six?

Adam10mm
01-04-2008, 03:41 AM
I ordered one today from my dealer. Should be here next week. Ammo is on the way too. My dealer is getting 12 boxes; four of each type.

Who makes dies? Wonder if 32 H&R dies will work?

6pt-sika
01-04-2008, 04:37 AM
I ordered one today from my dealer. Should be here next week. Ammo is on the way too. My dealer is getting 12 boxes; four of each type.

Who makes dies? Wonder if 32 H&R dies will work?

Well the distributer my guy was using didn't have any ammo the other day !!! I just wanted two of the American Eagle el cheapo 50 round boxes . I think $25 each .

Yes I was told the old 32MAG / 32 S&W dies will work !

Adam10mm
01-04-2008, 04:40 AM
Will have to order some Lee 32 H&R dies then. Thanks.

I'm shooting 32 H&R out of it until brass arrives. I don't touch factory ammo anymore.

Bret4207
01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Latest Shooting Times has a 327 article on the cover. Thats as far as I got, so those interested can get to the super market and see the mag for themselves.

NOUGLYGUN
01-04-2008, 12:38 PM
:-DI would get one if it were in a more usabe package i.e. 8 shot 6'' barrel. Like a lote of the other less loved cal. guns (6.5 .35 .41) the .30/.32 pistol is magic. It will make me laugh when all the gun writers tell us how we cant live without one. How about a 7.62X25 with moon clips.

leftiye
01-04-2008, 07:24 PM
How about a gun that can shoot the 7.62X25 when loaded to 35,000 to 50,000 psi? Can't believe the Russians used that all of these years with those tame loads.

6pt-sika
01-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Will have to order some Lee 32 H&R dies then. Thanks.

I'm shooting 32 H&R out of it until brass arrives. I don't touch factory ammo anymore.

Went by my dealers thursday and he said it should be here friday . Didn't have a chance to go by friday so might get by saturday .

Oh yeah while there thursday I had him get me a set of Hogue "Monogrips" and a Bianchi "5 Black Widow" holster in tan that is right handed . I will amke a concerted effort of carrying this thing next year during the gun season [smilie=1:

Adam10mm
01-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Thinking about Lasergrips for mine. Impactguns has them for $150.

beleg2
01-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Hi,
What bullet diameter?
Is it .327 as the name or .312 as .32 cal.?
Thanks
Martin

9.3X62AL
01-14-2008, 09:09 AM
If 32 S&W Long/32 Magnum die sets are usable for the 327, that would tend to show use of the usual .312" bullets.

Newtire
01-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a pretty nice round. Think I'll have to pass on this one since I already have my nice Ruger .32-20/.32 mag. I can already see the advertizing hype about downing Kodiak bears with careful shot placement. Wish them the best of luck though as this may lead to a nice rifle or 2 coming from the manufacturers. A nice cheap little Savage for the "financially challenged"--->ME.

As for the fragile .32-20 brass, just buy some Starline and no more fragile brass woes. Great stuff.

Adam10mm
01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
If 32 S&W Long/32 Magnum die sets are usable for the 327, that would tend to show use of the usual .312" bullets.
Bullet diameter is .312". The Fed Mag is to the H&R Mag what the .357 is to the 38 Spl. Longer case, thicker web, higher pressure, same bullet.

GSPKurt
01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
We have one at the shop I work at. Lots of lookers, but no buyers. Nice gun, but not for me. I like my .40.

9.3X62AL
01-14-2008, 11:07 PM
How about a gun that can shoot the 7.62X25 when loaded to 35,000 to 50,000 psi? Can't believe the Russians used that all of these years with those tame loads.

7.62 x 25 Tokarev got loaded past the 27K PSI level in at least 2 applications--

1) High-pressure loadings for the PPSh (Shpagin) "burp guns".

2) High-pressure loadings for the Czech CZ-52. The latest Hornady Manual shows some loads that have no business being fired in either a Tokarev pistol or a Broomhandle. Velocities of 1700 FPS+ for the 90 grain XTP in the CZ pistol are pretty fierce.

The PPSh loads should stay outta pistols, too. Dunno if the CZ-52 can safely manage the Shpagin fodder. The Czechs definitely were on a different sheet of music than the rest of the Soviet sphere--a thing not always appreciated by the shotcallers in the Kremlin. See "Dubcek", "Prague 1968", for further info on the Dubcek fall from dacha to gulag in short order.

I haven't really "fire-walled" the 7.62 x 25 in the CZ-52. The thing is blasty enough with the bullets going 1400 FPS, and can cartwheel jackrabbits at any distance reasonable for the handgun's capabilities. DRT, and JACKED UP. With the 30 Luger in the well-overbuilt Ruger P-89C, I've run 85 grain XTP's well past 1500 FPS using mass quantities of AA-7 and the 9mm swap recoil spring. Brass life is fine--no loose primer pockets, or guppy bellies in case sidewalls--and there's even a little primer radius left visible. But LOUD--it is The Mother And Auntie Of All Pistol Reports, but practically recoilless. Lotta fun, that.

Adam10mm
01-14-2008, 11:27 PM
The .327 Feddy is loaded to 45K psi.

vern2
02-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I for one will buy one if Ruger chambers it in the blackhawk, or for that manner a single six, although I'm thinking the single six will not be up to the pressures of the new round. I already shoot five .32 H&R mags and love them, but a little more horsepower would be nice. Then, how about a Marlin cowboy in the round? Fingers are already itching.

Bret4207
02-03-2008, 08:42 AM
If Ruger would make a BH in 30 Carbine/32 Mag or 327/32-20 I would find the money for one.

leftiye
02-04-2008, 03:00 AM
I'm still waitin' to find out where to get some brass. (Who needs a gun, just gimme some brass)

Adam10mm
02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Starline told me they aren't running brass. Probably only one that will is Federal but you'll have to buy their crappy overpriced ammo to get it.

Finally got to shoot mine, with H&R mags though. I've got to chrono these:

100gr LSWC 5gr WSF lit by a WSPM 1.35". I did the same specs with a 115gr Ballisticast SWC and got sticky ejection, but primers looked good. .312 and .313 leaded all to hell. Trying some .314s from my virgin RCBS 98gr SWC mold.

6pt-sika
02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Here are some pics of my SP101 in 327 Federal [smilie=1:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0459.jpg

Now a picture with the Houge grips installed , the feel for me with these grips over the regular factory is a good deal better as I have fairly large hands :roll:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0458.jpg

And now a picture of the little revolver in a Bianchi "Black Widow #5" right hand tan holster [smilie=1:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0457.jpg

I am still holding out for factory 327 Federal ammo or 327 Federal brass . So as of yet this little revolver is still unfired by anyone other then the factory :???:

6pt-sika
02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
It just occured to me , I do have the one piece of 327 brass that comes with the gun !

I could always load that and fire it a few times [smilie=1:

Just might have to take it to the range with my Lee hand held press , dies and some pre measured charges . Well enough to fire it say 10 times [smilie=1:

Adam10mm
02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
I got two boxes of American Eagle 100gr JSP in hand. Waiting for my gun to get back from the Ruger repair shop. I got a Hogue grip for mine too but haven't been able to put it on as it's at Ruger right now.

mike in co
03-20-2008, 10:58 PM
american rifleman/nra mag has an article in the current issue.

i see this as just as marketed....30/40% more than a 38 special and one more round than the typical 38 pocket revolver.

i think a 4" and a lever gun would make a nice match.

i hate revolvers.....perfer cz82/83's...but they are bigger than small revolters.

i have 4" and 6" ruger 357 security six's......but too big heavy for regular carry...maybe for the day with a carbine or just a kit gun.

6 is better than 5....

lets just say i would consider this revolver.

mike
a cz82 in 9mak with 13 rounds(12+1) weighs aprox 2lbs;
a 4" security six with 6 357 rounds wieghs 2.6 lbs.....
all day that .6 lbs makes a diff........

mike in co
03-20-2008, 11:18 PM
7.62 x 25 Tokarev got loaded past the 27K PSI level in at least 2 applications--

1) High-pressure loadings for the PPSh (Shpagin) "burp guns".

2) High-pressure loadings for the Czech CZ-52. The latest Hornady Manual shows some loads that have no business being fired in either a Tokarev pistol or a Broomhandle. Velocities of 1700 FPS+ for the 90 grain XTP in the CZ pistol are pretty fierce.

The PPSh loads should stay outta pistols, too. Dunno if the CZ-52 can safely manage the Shpagin fodder. The Czechs definitely were on a different sheet of music than the rest of the Soviet sphere--a thing not always appreciated by the shotcallers in the Kremlin. See "Dubcek", "Prague 1968", for further info on the Dubcek fall from dacha to gulag in short order.

I haven't really "fire-walled" the 7.62 x 25 in the CZ-52. The thing is blasty enough with the bullets going 1400 FPS, and can cartwheel jackrabbits at any distance reasonable for the handgun's capabilities. DRT, and JACKED UP. With the 30 Luger in the well-overbuilt Ruger P-89C, I've run 85 grain XTP's well past 1500 FPS using mass quantities of AA-7 and the 9mm swap recoil spring. Brass life is fine--no loose primer pockets, or guppy bellies in case sidewalls--and there's even a little primer radius left visible. But LOUD--it is The Mother And Auntie Of All Pistol Reports, but practically recoilless. Lotta fun, that.

well i played with my 52. sized 312 bullets down to 308/309 and went for it. starline brass and aa9. the real challenge was to try to get 2000 fps from the 60 gr bullets.
hornady 85 got to 1700 fps
speer 60 hp maxed at 1700 fps...think the lite bullet did not help the powder burn.

Dark Helmet
04-05-2008, 10:22 PM
6pt-sika/ freakshow/10mm-
Is the 327 brass that you have 1.075+ .2=1.275 long? I understand that it is supposed to be .2" longer than the 32 H&R@ 1.075", with no other external changes. I want to get a local machinist to modify my 32 H&R reamer accordingly. :mrgreen: Thanks!

Bret4207
04-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Given a 4", not 3 1/8" or what ever they have or better a 5 or 6" barrel and a REAL ADJUSTABLE sight I'd find the money for one. You'd think Ruger could see the field applications for these.

Dale53
04-06-2008, 10:12 AM
>>>REAL ADJUSTABLE SIGHT>>>

Amen to that!!

I have a Ruger, 4", SP101 in .32 H&R Mag. It did NOT shoot to the sights (tried a variety of loads from "mild to wild". I ended up putting a Red Dot on it and it is NOW a really nice piece. I had to have a trigger job (it IS a Ruger, after all[smilie=1:) but now enjoy shooting it at the range and in the field. I have been dragging my feet about making a suitable holster for it but will get it done eventually (Kydex, no less). Then, it will be a thoroughly practical field revolver even with the Red Dot.

Two things about the SP101 make me shake my head. You would think that Ruger would learn how to make a decent trigger "out of the box" (S&W has only been doing this on their revolvers for a hundred years or so) and again, those deplorable sights (Jeez-z-z). This gun deserves better (and THAT is why I had a trigger job done and put a Red Dot on it)...

Dale53