PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't anyone made a 300 AAC Blackout on a S&W X Frame?

Doc_Stihl
03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Why hasn't anyone made a 300 AAC Blackout on a S&W X Frame?

Seems to me the cylinder is long enough. There's not much for body taper so set back sticking shouldn't be a problem.

I read somewhere that the X frame was originally designed so that it could chamber a .223Rem.

It seems like it'd be something that someone would have done by now.

Is it too strange?

Whiterabbit
03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
no. the cylinder is 2.3" long for a reason on the X-frame. But 223 just didn't work out.

That's what the rumor says.

Bottom line, if that is true, then any round that fits an AR mag is a CANDIDATE. case taper might have something to say about the practicality. But people are having custom X-frames made (or at least exploring it) to run 458 socom, for example.

Dunno why not an 8 or 10 shot 357 max or a 6-7 shot 300 blk.

jameslovesjammie
03-05-2014, 06:16 PM
To me, a 10 shot .357 Supermag/Max would be nearly as awesome as you could get. I wish a distributor would convince Smith to make these. I think they would sell quite well.

35remington
03-05-2014, 10:22 PM
I suspect an X frame Smith with skinny little 300 Blackout holes in the cylinder would weigh nearly as much as a short barreled AR with an optic on it.

In other words all the weight of a carbine, all the inaccuracy that the grip and stance of a handgun brings about (no doubt the gun itself would shoot well enough), all the horrendously loud blast from the barrel/cylinder gap, all combined with mediocre ballistics from short gapped pistol length barrels means......a turkey from the get go.

Think of a 30 carbine Blackhawk with a little more speed and a lot more weight and noise.......and you're there.

Kinda underwhelming, really.

meister mash
03-06-2014, 04:51 AM
My vote, 357 maximum.

Moonie
03-14-2014, 10:59 AM
my vote, 445 SM

Old School Big Bore
03-14-2014, 11:06 AM
My vote, a four-inch 10-shot .30 Carbine w/moon clips. and an interchangeable crane/cylinder for .32-20. Please.

Seancass
03-14-2014, 11:31 AM
My vote is for a 48 shot 22lr, short cylinder with a barrel that sticks back thru the frame. And then stops at the frame.

Doc_Stihl
03-14-2014, 11:47 AM
I suspect an X frame Smith with skinny little 300 Blackout holes in the cylinder would weigh nearly as much as a short barreled AR with an optic on it.

In other words all the weight of a carbine, all the inaccuracy that the grip and stance of a handgun brings about (no doubt the gun itself would shoot well enough), all the horrendously loud blast from the barrel/cylinder gap, all combined with mediocre ballistics from short gapped pistol length barrels means......a turkey from the get go.

Think of a 30 carbine Blackhawk with a little more speed and a lot more weight and noise.......and you're there.

Kinda underwhelming, really.

The thing a 30 carbine lacks is weight. The blackout would offer up 250gr boolits in a subsonic package.

35remington
03-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Given the benefits of subsonic are completely lost in a revolver, and noise is the whole reason subsonic 300's are popular in rifles (because they are supressed) I'm not sure the rationale will hold up in a revolver.

A slow streamlined 300 bullet from a pistol offers very little over an equivalent weight bullet in a larger caliber from a pistol, given the ranges a pistol can be expected to be employed. A 44 special offers up to a 250 grain bullet in a subsonic package as well, all in a much smaller, lighter gun that's more pleasant to shoot (much less noise).

Thus I still can't see the appeal. If you want a 250 at subsonic speed, buy a 44 special and hang it on your hip and use it for everyday around the ranch carry where it won't be in the way. A 300 X frame is only gonna be comfortable carried across the chest or some similar way as the gun is much bigger. Hip carry certainly would be a burden.