PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss in a 45

Swamprat1052
12-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Does anybody have any good loads for the Trail Boss powder for a 45 Colt. I am shooting RCBS 45-255-swc bullets. I have been using 2400 and Titegroup but am loading with a Lee Loadmaster and read that the Trail Boss was a bulkier powder and there wasnt as much danger in double loading with it. I have loaded the titegroup up to 11 grains with this bullet and down to 6 grains for just range shooting. Getting around 850 fps with the light load and around 1100 with the heavy. Can I duplicate this with the Trail Boss. I also read it shot real clean.

Thanks,
Swamprat

oneokie
12-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Check out the IMR web site. This powder is finicky about loads. Not much range in charge weights.
Another site to look at is "The Open Range".

Added: Use the search function here for "Trail Boss", some good information on load work-up.

44 WCF
12-22-2007, 12:47 PM
I've done some experimenting with this powder in the 45 Colt. Accuracy and cleanliness have been very good, and recoil is oh so mild and sweet shooting, but according to my Chronograph I can't break 660 FPS at max published data with a 264 gr and slower with RCBS 45-270 SAA that weighs in at 283 with my alloy. My concern is stuck bullet after the bore gets a dirty in my Redhawk with it's longer barrel. Bore for sure is not the smoothest and that could be leading to some resistance I suppose, not an expert.

mike1952
12-24-2007, 04:11 PM
I think the best you can do with a 255 swc is about 750 fps. This is truly for cowboy loads. I use it for plinking and like it. Just got back from the woods and shot some 255swc with 4.7 Trailboss. Nice load. After I open my chrono from Santa I will tell you what the max velocity is with about 5.6g. That is the next load I plan to do.

KCSO
12-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm using 6.2 of Trail Boss and the 255 in my 3" thunderer. Tis is running 750 fps with good accuracy.

dubber123
12-24-2007, 11:11 PM
I was given the following formula by a ballistician at IMR, for use in straight wall cartridges: Mark on your case where a seated boolits BASE will be, fill to this level with Trailboss, and weigh this charge. 70% of this weight will be your START charge. Increase charges as you would normally, but never compress Trailboss, as breaking the powder flakes increases the burn rate significantly. I have tried this formula in .38 spl., .44 mag., and in a very short 50-70 TC Contender. The formula seems to work very well. My experience showed best accuracy when the powder was close to filling up to the boolit base, but following their starting formula will be plenty safe.

MT Gianni
12-24-2007, 11:53 PM
I was given the following formula by a ballistician at IMR, for use in straight wall cartridges: Mark on your case where a seated boolits BASE will be, fill to this level with Trailboss, and weigh this charge. 70% of this weight will be your START charge. Increase charges as you would normally, but never compress Trailboss, as breaking the powder flakes increases the burn rate significantly. I have tried this formula in .38 spl., .44 mag., and in a very short 50-70 TC Contender. The formula seems to work very well. My experience showed best accuracy when the powder was close to filling up to the boolit base, but following their starting formula will be plenty safe.

A friend with a 405 was given the same formula and told to never drop below 60% density. I believe that is their disclaimer to prevent a double charge, which is another supposed selling feature. Gianni

black44hawk
12-24-2007, 11:58 PM
I sure wish IMR published real maximum loads for this propellant. After talking with a representative via telephone I learned that they only publish "cowboy" loads because this is what the powder is designed for. But I have found that case filling loads that surpass max charges show no signs of excessive pressure. I think the real benefit of TB is in filling up those antique cases: 38 special, 44 & 45's 45-70 et al. After shooting a cloverleafed 5 shot string at 50 yards with my 45-70 I became a believer in the potential of trailboss

JSH
12-25-2007, 09:57 AM
I had talked to yet another source. Pretty much the same formula as above. What ever you do do not compress it. The throat in my TC 45-70 is some what long, so I seat the boolit out a bit farther than most can. I used TB that was just a smidge under the base of the boolit. Never saw any increase in anything. I see this as a pretty useful powder for what it was designed to do. A bulk powder that there is NO WAY you can get enough in a case to cause any pressure problems. That is taking into the mindset of not compressing of course.
Jeff

dubber123
12-25-2007, 10:15 AM
It is certainly capable of fine accuracy, my 10 " .44 mag Contender will stay under 3/4" at 50 yards with TB, and my shorty 50-70 will stay in an inch at 50 yards with a 435 gr. slug and TB, with this powder capable of pushing that boolit to 950 fps. in the short tube, all without compression. I like this powder alot.

jjamna
12-25-2007, 10:19 AM
I load from 4.0 to 5.0 grains of trail boss for 230 grain round nose in 45 acp. It functions the action fine and accuracy is good. Can't tell you velocity's though. I tried some in a M1 Carbine around 4 grains and would not come close to working the action,not enough pressure. The formula dubber123 gave you is correct, that is what IMR tells you.
Hope this helps

Blackhawk Convertable
12-25-2007, 10:41 AM
KCSO's advice is dead on. I was going to say 6.0 grains. The only thing I would add is that 45's tend to produce a bit of blow back. You might want to anneal the cases or make sure you give a pretty good crimp on them if shooting out of a lever action rifle. This is an issue with most of the big bore straight wall cartridges.

Chuck 100 yd
12-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Trai boss did not do well in my Marlin cowboy .45colt at 5 gr. ( starting load) Will work with it more later.
However it shoots very good in my .444 Marlin and .45-70 Marlin cowboy. 300-350gr.bullets over 14gr trail boss will give 1150 or so and print nice groups with no blowby or leading and recoil is almost nonexistant.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/chuckleininger/IMG_1332.jpg
Have fun!
50yd.target