PDA

View Full Version : I need the size of reloading die boxes

Reload1
03-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Can someone help me out please. I had a catastrophic failure of my reloading die cabinet last night. I had used a standard chip board kitchen wall cabinet for the last 12 years to store my reloading dies. Well I must have bought one too many dies sets because when I got home last night about 40 sets of dies, shell holders, etc., etc were scattered across my shop floor. I didn't have time to clean it up last night and need a new cabinet to put everything back in. I found one at Harbor freight but not sure it is deep enough. Could someone please measure a standard die box for me so I can determine the minimum depth for a cabinet. I also found some used ones at a local store but want to make sure they are deep enough. Thanks for the help.

Bill R.

L Erie Caster
03-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Lee 4 die box is 5.807 deep X 4.8 wide X 1.476 high (plus a little for clearance). I think they are the largest of the bunch.

Reload1
03-05-2014, 11:14 AM
L.E.C., thanks for checking. The best deal I have found is almost 8" deep so that would work. Bill R.

bear67
03-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Lyman and RCBS are 4 1/2 x 6 x 1 3/4. Redding box was 6 1/4 x 5

Wayne Smith
03-05-2014, 01:05 PM
My Hornaday dies are by far the largest boxes I have. I'm at work so can't measure now.

mold maker
03-05-2014, 01:21 PM
I almost had the same shelf failure several years ago after a basement flooding event. I caught the shelves sagging like a hammock. I gave up on closed cabinets and use a commercial metal shelf unit with extra shelves to add to the footage of shelves. The bottom shelf is filled with Ammo cans of brass and boolits to stabilize the unit. You could cut a unit in half and attach it to the wall and back of your bench if need be.

Reload1
03-05-2014, 02:18 PM
I had actually thought of doing that. I went to a used furniture store at lunch. They either have wide file drawers, open shelves or standup metal files that are 18" deep. HArbor Freight has a 3 door wall cabinet that got pretty good reviews. Found a 20% off coupon so will probably go with that. It isn't as tall but should work.

Reload1
03-06-2014, 11:20 PM
My Hornady New Dimension die boxes are the largest I have. The long dimension is just over 7". I think even those will fit though. Thanks for the help.
Bill