PDA

View Full Version : How I swage my 22 rimfire bullets for accuracy

algunjunkie
03-05-2014, 04:27 AM
After I posted a picture of one of my targets that I shot with rimfire bullets I have received a couple of PMs asking me how I did it. So after thinking about it all day I decided to share it with you here. I no longer have a press that I can use with my Corbin S dies so I will not be able to take pictures of the process and show it to you, sorry. As such I have a bunch dies just sitting in a plastic box collecting dust and I am running of bullets to shoot.

Before we start please not that all of the steps that I use may or may not benefit you. My rifle has been blueprinted, the locking and abutments have been machined for 100% contact, the barrel has been set back and re-chambered to 223 match with minimum SAMMI specs and the lead set for VLD style bullets. It is setting in a 3 position competition stock that is 2 inches wide at the barrel channel and just over 3 inches tall at the fore arm tip and only gets bigger from there. The whole thing weighs in at just under 15 pounds. It is designed to shoot small groups so I go through a lot more work to feed it.

So here is how I go about it. I spread the work out over a few days to weeks and I do large batches.

1. Separate all the shell casings by brand.

2. Separate each case brand by weight, each weighing the same. If it works for benchrest shooting I don't see why it wouldn't be the same here. (Claude)

3. Clean with SS pins for 30 minutes. (Lemi-shine, warm water and dish detergent.) Then dried by either allowing them to air dry over night or with a hair dryer.

4. Anneal with a propane torch till the casing is glowing red. (Claude) Generally I want the base of the case to be able to squeezed close with my fingers. This also helps to reduce the pressure needed to derim, core seat and point. (note: the punch needs to have a more rounded base or you run a risk of tearing the bases off. If a more rounded punch isn't available derim then anneal.)

5. Clean with SS pins till all cases are clean and polished, usually about an hour depending on the shine wanted. (Lemi-shine, warm water and dish detergent.) Then dry as before.

6. Inspect all cases for tears, rips or obvious abnormalities.

7. Measure jackets for length and separate according, you want them to be consistent so the final point forming is consistent, overall length and meplat uniformity. (Claude) (Refer to your notes as to what length and brand case your gun like best. You are keeping a data book right? (Al Nyhus) By writing things down and seeing how things work you are more able to tailor it for your needs. My gun loves Laupa, Wolf Match and Eley jackets. It is not fond of Federal and absolutely does not like Winchester of any kind.)

8. Cut or cast cores. I use 99.7% pure lead or purer for competition bullets, wheel weight for all others (plinking, hunting and practice). I go 3 grains heavier than the final core weight.

9. Lube cores and warm them up. I use a Mason jar and place the lube in it, put the cores in it and roll it it around. But I warm the jar and keep it warm while it is coating the cores. If the cores are wheel weight, I keep them warm until they squirted to final weight. it seems to make it easier and I get a more uniform final weight. I also warm up the die with a hair drier as well. (Al Nyhus said to heat up the pointing die for better consistency during point forming so I do the same here)

10. Clean the cores. I usually use Acetone and Mason jar. Allow them to air dry. Serves two purposes. 1 allows the cores to start oxidizing for better adhesion to the jacket and allows them to "rest". Whether or not this helps or is actually true is beyond me but I do a lot of cores at one time, usually all day and it is as good excuse as any and I have not had any core/jacket separations as of yet.

11. Lube jackets the same procedure as I do with the cores.

12. Seat the cores. I read somewhere to use only enough pressure the leave the cored jacket in the seating die and not on the punch. So there is plenty of pressure if you lower the ram and the cored jacket stays in the die. It works for me so I use it. I have no ideal if it is true or not but it is a guideline that I use. I have been told by many people that you don't want the heel of the bullet to be square, you want it rounded to help with seating the bullet in the cartridge case and not shear any of the jacket material off. However you seat the cores, be consistent at it. (Claude)

13. Here I might give them a quick clean and polish or if they are still looking good, straight on to nose pointing.

14. Lube cored jackets, same method as before.

15. Point form. Warm the die up first. (Al Nyhus) The die will heat as you are pointing the bullet and till it reaches the operating temperature there will be more rejects. So warm it up first with a hair drier. (I thought it was bull till I tried it, now I do it every time.)

16. Final polish. Sometimes I move them back and forth on a towel to remove excess lube but most of the time they go back into the tumbler for about an hour for polishing.

17. Final inspection and weight check. After all of the initial sorting and weighing the weight is very consistent usually around 10th of a grain for the run of the swage session and the over all length is nearly identical. Plus when you add the information to your bullet data book you can tell if things are starting to wear out and needs replacing. If the driving bands start to increase it lets you know that your dies life in nearing the end but you won't know that if you have not written it down.

There you have it. It's the process that I use when I make my bullets. On most days they will shoot well under a half MOA with an occasional flyer (usually me doing something stupid).

Soon as I can afford a press that I can use the S dies with I will take pictures and go into more details of the whole process.

BLASTER62
03-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Well said, the only question I have is do you trim meplats for your match type bullets?

Prospector Howard
03-05-2014, 09:50 AM
My only question is, why do you no longer have a press that you can use with your Corbin S dies? Did it break or something?

clodhopper
03-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks for sharing. On step 16 final polish, is that in stainless steel or another media?

Cane_man
03-05-2014, 11:33 AM
do any of the bases have primer indentations on the edge, or do you reject those?

do you reject wrinkled or folded tips?

BT Sniper
03-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Excellent wright up! Very good steps to follow. Before you guys attempt deriming a large lot of annealed 22lr cases try a few first to make sure you get good results. You don't want to anneal thousands of cases ahead of time only to find out they give you trouble.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

p.s. you can actually squish the "base" of the annealed jackets with your fingers?

algunjunkie
03-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Blaster62
No. After going through and separating them in the manner we do, the meplats are very uniform after the pointing process.

Prospector Howard
I made the fatal mistake of trusting a start up company to make me a set of dies for my Corbin press. Since the wait was so long to get one and I was impatient I loaned him my press. Now he is MIA along with my press. But I did hear from a little over a year saying that he is ready to made my dies and was wondering if I still wanted them. He still has not returned it and the local authorities say it is a civil matter and will not help. So I am out a press but I learned a valuable lesson.

Clodhopper
SS pins. I use the same process all the way through. Depending on the amount of shine I want on it will depend on how long I tumble them but I usually leave them in the tumbler for about 30 minutes to an hour.

Cane Man
Usually the detents are gone or barely noticeable but it depends on the case I use, Federals are heavier and usually the marks show but I have not experienced any problems with them in flight. When the cases are annealed to the point that I take them too the metal flows pretty easy and they clean up nice. I don't usually have a problem with it but if I see any lead or signs of separation, they are culled for competition and used for training and plinking.

Folded tips are a result of improper annealing where the brass didn't fully anneal. Took me forever to learn that one, thank you Claude, which is why I now heat them all to cherry red. I reject folded tips for serious matters but are kept around for plinking and just having fun because they do some weird things in flight. Some fly straight while others go to the land Oz and some just vanish in thin air.

Longitudinal wrinkles are a result of too much lube during the pointing operation but they do not effect the bullet in flight so these I keep them.

algunjunkie
03-05-2014, 01:46 PM
I would agree with BTSniper on the derimming step. I have two derimmers, one from Corbins and it doesn't like being used when the case has been annealed first. The other was made by someone else, read homemade by some one, and it loves them being annealed first but it has a more rounded punch.

runfiverun
03-05-2014, 02:01 PM
the SS pin set-up does not like swage lube run through it.
remember to remove the lube before hand or you will have a black grungy sticky mess in your tumbler and you'll have to wash your pins off.
I wash the lube off with acetone then run in the tumbler with some corn-cob/walnut media.
then if I want a brighter polish [or I want to take some more of the annealing scale off]
I use the pins.

BLASTER62
03-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Me being cheep I use large rifle or pistol spent primers to wash the scale off the 22lr after anealing, works good.

Prospector Howard
03-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Algunjunkie, that really sucks that someone would steal your press that was supposedly going to make dies for you. It would be good to warn others of who that deadbeat is, so no else will get taken in by them. There's been a few deadbeats that have taken some of the members here, and they need to be outed. It really makes my skin crawl to here these stories.

Cane_man
03-08-2014, 11:24 AM
thanks for sharing your insights... :drinks:

in regard to annealing you are correct imo that the brass must turn to at least cherry red, if the brass doesn't change color you are just stress relieving the brass which is fine for reloading purposes but for swaging the cases need to be annealed...

algunjunkie
03-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Algunjunkie, that really sucks that someone would steal your press that was supposedly going to make dies for you. It would be good to warn others of who that deadbeat is, so no else will get taken in by them. There's been a few deadbeats that have taken some of the members here, and they need to be outed. It really makes my skin crawl to here these stories.

There is a whole thread here on him. But I have no problems naming Colt Carpenter of Edge Dies in John Day Oregon as the person who done me wrong.

Lizard333
03-08-2014, 09:30 PM
So unless I read it wrong, are you annealing before or after you derim? I read it a couple of times, but couldn't find were you perform that minor step😎

runfiverun
03-09-2014, 12:50 AM
depends on your set-up.
I have to anneal afterwards with the de-rim die I have [most do]

Prospector Howard
03-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Ok, he got you too. Well, it's good to keep his name out there as someone not to be trusted. Hope you can eventually get your press back. I guess you don't live too close to Oregon, so you could pay him a personal "visit" and get it back from the ratb.
There is a whole thread here on him. But I have no problems naming Colt Carpenter of Edge Dies in John Day Oregon as the person who done me wrong.

algunjunkie
03-09-2014, 03:22 PM
So unless I read it wrong, are you annealing before or after you derim? I read it a couple of times, but couldn't find were you perform that minor step��

In the Corbin Setup I anneal after derimming, I was popping the ends off if I annealed first. With the newest set I just got from a forum member I anneal first.

So it is really dependent on your set up.