PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if thread was started here-RCBS

foxtrapper
03-04-2014, 06:33 PM
I have a 5-10 scale that I bought in the 70's that was having trouble maintaining zero. I emailed RCBS about repairing where they said ship it to them for repair or replacement. I am not looking for a replacement as the scale I sent looks pristine, can't imagine why it won't hold zero. Any who they received it 1/31/13 . I emailed them 3 weeks into it where they said they are backed up with repairs. Wonder how long it's gonna take.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2014, 06:45 PM
It takes a good while. I sent in a 1010 a year or two ago, forgot about it and one day, a brand new 1010 showed up on my doorstep. They never told me what was wrong with the other scale, other than it wasn't repairable.

pete501
03-04-2014, 10:06 PM
I had a rcbs 304 dial-a-gram that was missing the counter weight on the smallest piose and rcbs told me to ship it to ohaus. Well $12 later ohaus says the 304 was discontinued and sent it back to me.

Bored1
03-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Call them. It makes a difference to call and speak to them. I sent in a trimmer, they recieved it on weds, checked it in on thursday, fixed it Tues and I had it back that Friday. Just under two weeks. Just keep on top of it. For some reason it seems as though once items are delivered they disappear until you call and ask about it. Thats just been my experience however.

FLHTC
03-04-2014, 11:15 PM
I have a 5-10 scale that I bought in the 70's that was having trouble maintaining zero. I emailed RCBS about repairing where they said ship it to them for repair or replacement. I am not looking for a replacement as the scale I sent looks pristine, can't imagine why it won't hold zero. Any who they received it 1/31/13 . I emailed them 3 weeks into it where they said they are backed up with repairs. Wonder how long it's gonna take.

The beam pivots rest in a synthetic seat and they wear. It looks like Teflon or Styrene but they do wear out and prevent repeatable charges. The 10-10 is a much better scale

foxtrapper
03-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Guess what was waiting on my doorstep this morning. My 5/10 scale was repaired and returned. I have not tried it but I am happy it's home!

03-05-2014, 06:29 PM
The beam pivots rest in a synthetic seat and they wear. It looks like Teflon or Styrene but they do wear out and prevent repeatable charges. The 10-10 is a much better scale

Sorry I don't agree. All the common RCBS range of scales, the 502, 505, 5-10 and the 10/10 all use exactly the same knife edge/ floating Agate bearing set-up so none is more accurate than the other. The bearing blocks are identical and interchangeable and unless mechanically damaged will last virtually for ever.

The 5-10 is an excellent scale, although not now been made for a good few years, it has exactly the same beam as the 10/10 (interchangeable) with the micrometre poise system, it also had the same approach to weight spring system, just a different shaped body.

If your scale won't hold zero the first thing you need to do is carefully check the knife edges with a strong eyeglass, they shouldn't show any dull spots or burrs and look for small chips on the point of the knife edges. The edges can be very carefully dressed with something like 1200 grade wet & dry stuck to flat stick or a very fine stone.

The agate bearings should be free to wobble about in their housings and clean and grease/dust free. A cotton bud soaked in alcohol/spirit will work ok.

Another area to check is the slot where the damper blade moves. Have a look with a torch to see if there are any fine hairs of wire-wool stuck to the magnets.

The stirrup loop at the pan hanger can also give trouble. It needs to hang in the middle of the small knife edge cut outs and be completely free to swing.

Unfortunately the quality of the newer scales leaves something to be desired, an older set is a much better bet.

FLHTC
03-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Sorry I don't agree. All the common RCBS range of scales, the 502, 505, 5-10 and the 10/10 all use exactly the same knife edge/ floating Agate bearing set-up so none is more accurate than the other. The bearing blocks are identical and interchangeable and unless mechanically damaged will last virtually for ever.

The 5-10 is an excellent scale, although not now been made for a good few years, it has exactly the same beam as the 10/10 (interchangeable) with the micrometre poise system, it also had the same approach to weight spring system, just a different shaped body.

If your scale won't hold zero the first thing you need to do is carefully check the knife edges with a strong eyeglass, they shouldn't show any dull spots or burrs and look for small chips on the point of the knife edges. The edges can be very carefully dressed with something like 1200 grade wet & dry stuck to flat stick or a very fine stone.

The agate bearings should be free to wobble about in their housings and clean and grease/dust free. A cotton bud soaked in alcohol/spirit will work ok.

Another area to check is the slot where the damper blade moves. Have a look with a torch to see if there are any fine hairs of wire-wool stuck to the magnets.

The stirrup loop at the pan hanger can also give trouble. It needs to hang in the middle of the small knife edge cut outs and be completely free to swing.

Unfortunately the quality of the newer scales leaves something to be desired, an older set is a much better bet.

I'm sorry, I was quoting Ohaus about the bearings because I had to ship mine back. I had lost the beam during a move, which they won't sell separate without fitting and they replaced worn bearings which were necessary for calibration, according to them. This was on the 10-10 and I still believe the 10-10 is a better scale over the 505. JMO