PDA

View Full Version : Ooooo 'ogive'

just bill
03-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Any long distance shooters sawging out there. I am closing in on purchasing my dies for my 300 win mag. The last question I have is, in the 190-210 gr boat tail bullets, which ogive should I be looking for 8s or 10s? I have heard either is good, but the lean is toward the 10s however, the twist of the rifle barrel is more critical. I do not know any long shooters personally ( F-class or just bang steel).

Thanks,

Bill

runfiverun
03-05-2014, 01:52 AM
I'd think the 8-s would be a lot easier to knock back out of the point form die.

reed1911
03-05-2014, 10:47 AM
My personal opinion is there is very little real world difference when shooting. On paper, there is a difference, however the very few shooters that can take advantage of it are slim and hard to find. That being said, the 8s would be the most beneficial to you Bill, in that it would leave options for various weights that will be applicable to more cartridges. That long 10s will require higher RPM to properly stabilize as well as be a bit harder to keep the nose consistent.

aaronraad
03-05-2014, 08:35 PM
If you read Bryan Litz's book Applied Ballistics For Long- Range Shooting - 2nd Ed. you'll see there are a variety of designs.

When you make a decision on the design, make sure the dies are long enough to fully support the core seated jacket in the point forming die before the boat-tail punch forces the jacket mouth into the ogive.

Send me a PM and I'll assist where I can, but as you can see from my website http://www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au I've played with a few dies, in a few calibres.

just bill
03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
If you read Bryan Litz's book Applied Ballistics For Long- Range Shooting - 2nd Ed. you'll see there are a variety of designs.

When you make a decision on the design, make sure the dies are long enough to fully support the core seated jacket in the point forming die before the boat-tail punch forces the jacket mouth into the ogive.

Send me a PM and I'll assist where I can, but as you can see from my website http://www.antipodeanindustrial.com.au I've played with a few dies, in a few calibres.

Thanks,
I'll be communicating with you soon you have some interesting info. on your site. I'm curious about what you, said about the dies and the ogive information.

Regards,
Bill

PM Sent