PDA

View Full Version : Super Excited after a call to Ruger!!!

osteodoc08
03-04-2014, 03:10 PM
I had bought a Ruger BH 3 screw in 41Mag a few years ago. I came into it when my father called me excited saying that he had found it at a LGS. I called them, gave a deposit and swung by when I had a chance.

It was converted, but was still a 3 screw. And it was something for dad and I to play with. I left it with him for some range time. The only and last time we ever made it to the range, we brought it along to do some testing. It had a few issues, the loading gate spring was weak and would pop open when firing, it would spit lead on 1 or 2 of the cylinders, but was fairly accurate and it was "our project". I also snapped a few photos of dad shooting it (he didnt know I was doing a camera sneak attack). That would be the last time I had the opportunity to go shooting with him before his untimely passing. The revolver sat in the gun safe for almost a year now as it was probably last march/april when we went shooting. I really didnt have the heart to take it out. Too painful I guess. Even typing this I get teary eyed.

I decided to send it off to Ruger and have some of the small issues fixed and give her a rebirth so to speak. I sent in a letter detailing the issues weve had with it as well as some cosmetic issues I'd like to get fixed, mostly some ding marks and corrosion on the aluminum ejector housing. I also wanted to get it reblued. I left my phone number for them to contact me with an estimate for the work and so that I could pay for the work being done. That was a few weeks ago.

I called them today and spoke with a gentleman and asked if they had a chance to look at it (since I had not heard from them). They had replaced most of the internals including springs, replaced the loading gate and the ejector housing, replaced some of the conversion parts, fixed and adjusted the timing and cylinder and is now off for refinishing. I had asked them about paying for the services and he said to not worry about it. It should be here towards the middle of next week. I was pretty excited. The wife doesnt understand, but I dont expect her too, so I'm on here bragging on Ruger. I will continue to be a loyal Ruger shooter. This is why.

I hope to be able to find a good moderate load for her this spring and summer and use it for deer season later this year. It will always be cherished and continue to be used and hopefully, passed along for a few generations.

Double B
03-04-2014, 03:36 PM
That is a nice read. Glad to hear of your good fortune and the great customer service by Ruger. Kind of refreshing in this day and age. I've shot 41's and really enjoyed them but never owned one or hunted with one. It will definitely do the job on deer at reasonable ranges. Enjoy!

Double B
03-04-2014, 03:45 PM
You know after I posted I realized i didn't even mention your father's involvement and untimely passing. You have my condolences. I too lost my Dad over the past year and I find myself fondling an old Winchester pump, his WW II Kabar or an old Case pocket knife he carried. The memories are kept alive. So, I know you will enjoy that old 41! Even if some people don't get it, we get it around here.

Dryball
03-04-2014, 03:48 PM
I don't have one either, but loved the story. Sorry about your dad...the gun will always be near and dear. Good luck and happy shooting.

osteodoc08
03-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys, he was a member here and is how I found this site. I've tried to be an active member ever since, while learning and growing the craft as much as possible. My favorite community bar none.

Tradhunter
03-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Doc, thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your dad.
I just started shooting my 41. I ordered some dry creek
bullets and used some unique. Pretty happy with it. I also
have a three screw 357 (unconverted) that is in pretty rough
shape I want to send to ruger. I know they will convert it
but that is a small price to pay for a new pistol. Ruger is great!

monge
03-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Sorry about your DAD ,that gun will always be special to you.Ruger is #1 in my book to they stand behind there products and then some! Lost my DAD some years back he loved to hunt , Every opening day when I sit and wait for sunrise I get all teared up thinking about him and our hunting seasons together Every so often I take his gun out and knock one down for him.

lawdog941
03-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Doc,
Sorry for your loss. I regret not doing as many things with my dad as I got older. Sounds like you had some good times though. Ruger, by far, is what I consider the standard for service and sturdily built arms. I've had SBH, SRH, GP's, SP's, and regretted everytime I traded or sold them to try something different.

Take care

contender1
03-04-2014, 11:02 PM
I too cherish the few guns I inherited from my dad.
it doesn't surprise me to hear what Ruger is doing for you.
But, if it were my gun, I'd hunt up a set of original parts to return that gun to how Bill made it in the beginning. Do so & you'll understand why I say this.

osteodoc08
03-11-2014, 02:24 PM

osteodoc08
03-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Ill let the pictures do the talking for the most part.

You can see the "character marks" through the bluing and the paint/finish on the aluminum is even, but you can see the dings and marks from ownership. This isnt a problem as I wasnt expecting them to refinish and polish the gun on their dime. I was just excited they did what they did. It looks amazing to me. They even sent a new set of grips on it. I am very happy and it seems to function perfectly. Cant wait to get out and sling some lead with it.

Zymurgy50
03-11-2014, 03:38 PM
The one time I had to send a BH back to Ruger the instructions I got was to remove all "accessories" from the revolver before sending it in.
I had the scope mount on it that clamps on the barrel and uses the rear sight mount hole. So the revolver got sent back without the rear sight because I was just going to put the scope mount back on it when it got back. Also took off the Pachmar grips that I had on it, didnt put the wood grips back on because I was putting the Pachmar's back on.
When I got the BH back from Ruger it had new walnut grips and a new rear sight on!!!!!! (And NO CHARGE for the repair or the grips/sight)

contender1
03-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Congrats!
I knew you'd be happy.