PDA

View Full Version : What old cartridge fits?

Wayne Smith
03-04-2014, 02:42 PM
I have an unmarked hand die, looks a lot like the Lyman but others made them. The only case I have that comes close to fitting is a 9mm. When I press a 9mm case all the way in it fills the die to maybe .5mm to the top. The top is sized to an ID of .317/.318". The base drops from .389" to .383". If it is for a rimmed case the case could be a little longer than the 9mm.

Any guesses as to what I have?

Anyone have a use for it?

338RemUltraMag
03-04-2014, 02:49 PM
38 S&W is my best guess

texassako
03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Does it bottleneck? One heck of a taper if not. Is it one of the neck only 310 dies? Maybe for .30 Luger?

Wayne Smith
03-04-2014, 03:19 PM
No neck, straight taper. This is a hand die, or vice die. Just a piece of metal with a tapered hole in it.

Outpost75
03-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Sounds like. 30 Mauser. Is this threaded for a tong tool? If so, I might be interested.

Is there a number on the die body?

338RemUltraMag
03-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Didnt catch the .317 at the top, new best guess is 32 S&W

Wayne Smith
03-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Might be 30 Mauser, but that is a necked case and this is a smooth taper so not likely.

I assume many people do not know what a 'hand die' is. Years ago the 310 tool was the most common reloading accessory available and it did not full length resize. Lyman therefore made hand dies to use in a vice, since almost everyone had access to a vice in those days. These were the only way to full length size at that time. They were not threaded, simply a hole reamed through a piece of steel to match the case. You lubed the case, put it into the die, put this in a vice, and closed the vice to press the case into the die. Then you took the die, balanced it on a partly open vice, and used a knock out rod and hammer to remove the case from the die. Nothing was needed except the die and knock out rod, everyone had a vice and hammer.

Anyway, that is what this die is.

Wayne Smith
03-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Didnt catch the .317 at the top, new best guess is 32 S&W

Humm, I'm at work and can't check, but I have 32 S&W cases and can check. Don't have the long, just the original.

John Boy
03-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Fill the die cavity with CerroSafe and then start measuring the slug.
Here's the table to measure your slug to - to determine the caliber
http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Conversions/default.html

I'll Make Mine
03-04-2014, 09:37 PM
The small end of that hole is well below .30 Luger or .30 Mauser. Seems to me there were some French/Belgian rounds that had a very strong taper, at least one that originally didn't have an extractor groove (though it was added after the first year or so of production), but I don't think any of them went down as far as that. I wonder if what you have there isn't a pre-form die for converting 9x19 to .30 Luger or 9 mm Mauser to .30 Mauser -- you'd run the case in there, and get a mouth that would enter the shoulder/neck area of the standard sizing die without folding or buckling, and the expander would take care of bringing the mouth back up to size for the bullet.

Wayne Smith
03-05-2014, 08:43 AM
32 S&W drops through the small end of the die touching nothing until the rim catches.

I'll Make Mine, you may have something there, a step in a multiple step process.

I still wonder if anyone has any use for it cause I sure don't!

texassako
03-05-2014, 12:45 PM
I was confused with the hand die comment. 310 hand tool came to my mind first since Lyman called what you have a resizer. I would take it off your hands because now I need to find out what it is, or at least post a picture of what the sized 9mm brass looks like. Always love a good cartridge mystery, and have a lot of odd ones myself. All the non bottleneck cartridges I could think of that took a .32/8mm bullet, or about what it sized to I believe, had a base no larger than about .35" or so.

Wayne Smith
03-05-2014, 12:59 PM
PM sent. Tex, you pay the postage and it's yours!

goofyoldfart
04-16-2014, 08:57 PM
could be for a Rook cartidge like a long bodied .310 Martini? God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy aka Godfrey;-)

texassako
04-17-2014, 07:40 PM
could be for a Rook cartidge like a long bodied .310 Martini? God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy aka Godfrey;-)

I am not entirely sure what it was intended for. There are a couple of very obscure cartridges from the early days of semiauto pistols that are very close from Bergmann and Steyr. They are both very rare pistols though. I don't think it would have been a Rook with so much case taper, but there may be a tiny Schuetzen cartridge I don't know about. I think some of those had a lot of case taper.

Green Frog
04-17-2014, 09:30 PM
If it were just a little longer, I would opine that it was a 32 Dell/32-357 forming die. That is a 357 with a straight taper to 32 caliber and used in modern schuetzen rifles. Almost the same is the 32 Miller Short except that one has a cylindrical section at the base before the taper starts. There is/was a similar cartridge from Germany called the 6.5 x 27 which was used for single shots there; it could be described as a 38 Spl tapered to 25 cal. Just a couple of random thoughts on the matter... :idea:

Froggie

Wayne Smith
04-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Tex now has it so it is up to him to figure it out.