PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone turned a M Die type expander for use in a Lee Universal Flaring Die?

TheDoctor
03-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Was thinking that it would be a simple turning operation, since no threading would be required. Just replace the flaring plug(s) inside the die body with one shaped like a M Die expander. I believe 9/16 drill rod would be all it takes.

fred2892
03-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Have a look at post #11 on the post titled 'Lee classic turret and auto powder drop' further down this page. Pretty sure it would drop right into the Lee universal expander.

Wayne Smith
03-04-2014, 05:25 PM
I think BACO sells them. That's Buffalo Arms. Track of the Wolf may as well. Don't know who is making them.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-04-2014, 06:48 PM
If you can't find them any where else, try contacting Buckshot on this forum. He's a skilled machinist and does excellent work with a lathe. There's also Lathesmith, if I'm remembering his nickname correctly on here. He does excellent work as well.

texassako
03-05-2014, 01:41 AM
Take a look at the Lyman multi-expand die. I use it for custom expanders so I don't need to thread anything, and it is a powder through die to boot.

EDG
03-05-2014, 12:47 PM
You can also use a Lee 45-70 expander die body. It is close to the same as the Lee one size fits all flare body.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I've made several of them :)
I made mine with a radius at the top, so they are sized & flared in one operation.
By making them you can set your neck tension to whatever you want.

This was not my idea, but I did steal it :D There was a thread in the special projects or gunsmithing forums
I think, a long time ago that had pictures of some someone had made, can not remember who it was to
give proper credit.