PDA

View Full Version : 300

Wag
03-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Pounds of lead, that is. The local scrap yard had some barrels of pure lead for $0.95/lb. I bought 300 pounds. Amazing how little space it takes up!

Now I just need to find a recipe for some alloys for pistols, including 38/.357, 9mm, .45 acp. To date, I've been using WW with a pound of 50/50 solder but these days, WW's have to be sorted, otherwise, you're buying lead and zinc and a big pain in the patootie.

Let the surfing begin! (Or rather, continue!)

--Wag--

JASON4X4
03-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Good find

merlin101
03-04-2014, 02:04 PM
You could always swap off that pure for known wheel weights locally or do it here in the S&S section.

Wag
03-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I have some antimony and some tin so I think I may be able to blend it to required spec. I like the flexibility that gives me. At some point, I'll go grab some more!

--Wag--

fortrenokid
03-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Howdy Pard

Well done there ... a nice stash of lead ... and I concur in the amazement of how compact 300 lbs is. Compact? Yes. Easy to move and carry? Nope.

A thot would be to see if anyone on the Forum would be willing to swap some linotype for your pure lead. Might be a muzzle-loader out there in need of pure/soft lead with an excess of lino on his hands that he'd be willing to swap. And ya might just buy some lino. A 50-50 mix of your lead and lino would make a fairly hard mixture. Mixing 3 or even 4 parts of your lead to one part of lino would be fine for a lot of shooting. Some other pards have suggested the use of mixing calculators to determine blends for different purposes.

Another thot: do you have some wheel weight? I'll go out on a limb and suggest a 50-50 mix of soft lead/ww would be adequate for low-velocity shooting ... say Cowboy Action or black powder cartridge.

Anyway, a stockpile of 300 lbs of lead is not exactly the worst problem to have!

Wag
03-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I've been thinking that through. At the moment, my lack of experience is sort of holding me back on what I think I want to do with it. Decisions, decisions!

Will keep all y'all posted.

--Wag--