PDA

View Full Version : .44 magnum help

redneck44
03-04-2014, 09:37 AM
New to site, looks very informative.
I have a question regarding my .44 Rem. magnum and some bullets and powder Ive ordered.
Ive bought 2400 powder and 240 grain lead bullets. Im looking for some advice on loads for this combination. In retrospect, what Ive read since purchasing said componets it looks like 2400 is not the ideal powder for reloading these lead bullets.
Im concerned about leading in my revolver. Its a Ruger with a seventh and a half inch barrel. barrel. Wondering if I can some advice on powder charge for this combo?
Thank you.
Here is the bullets ordered.

http://www.friendswoodbullet.com/44_MAG_240grain_SWC/p132676_306849.aspx#.UxXV3s-YYqS

Sasquatch-1
03-04-2014, 09:52 AM
I have shot 240 grn lead with 2400 in all my 44's I have owned. Now with some of these I have had to clean leading from the barrel afterward. Read the threads that have to do with proper sizing of the bullet and it should help a lot.

The only one that did not like is the Desert Eagle. Seems the boolet did not have enough time to grip the polygonal rifling and would keyhole at 15 yards. Also the lead could foul the gas ports. Swaging solved this problem.

C. Latch
03-04-2014, 09:57 AM
2400 isn't the most economical powder for reduced loads and isn't the hottest powder for absolute maximum speeds, but on the upper end, full power but not max power, hunting level range of the power scale, it's about perfect for magnum revolver loads. You did fine on powder choice. You can load 2400 at medium levels for practice or push it a fair bit and hunt with it.

As for bullets I'd rather not have bevel bases; I much prefer flat, completely filled out bases, and you may or may not be better off with a .431" instead of a .430" bullet, but you'll probably be OK.

Maven
03-04-2014, 10:24 AM
redneck44, You may find this helpful: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=240&shellid=33&bulletid=52

djgoings
03-04-2014, 10:26 AM
I shot thousands of Lyman 429421 bullets through my S&W & Dan Wesson's using 18 grains of 2400. Almost no leading. I cast the bullets to about 16 BHN.

mark2935
03-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Redneck, welcome to the site. There is nothing wrong with your combination. If it was good enough for Mr. Keith then it is good enough for the rest of us. You just got good advise from those who posted. Search the site for more info. Bullseye and unique are good for non-magnum loads. Have fun, be safe.

Mark#35

44MAG#1
03-04-2014, 02:12 PM
"In retrospect, what Ive read since purchasing said componets it looks like 2400 is not the ideal powder for reloading these lead bullets."

Where did you read this piece of advice.
Of course I have heard that cast bullets will ruin a barrel too.
I have also heard cast bullets aren't accurate too. Must be inaccurate after they ruin the barrel.[smilie=1:
While if one is looking for an economical load that may be true and is true when you consider that Bullseye with a load that would generate maybe 850 fps would be very economical compare to 2400 with a load that would generate 1250 from a 4 inch.
One can "hear" or "be told" anything.

redneck44
03-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses. Ive gotten my info off of different sites for reloading. Just seemed like 2400 wasn't the favorite powder, but from what Im seeing here it will be fine. Am I to understand I don't want too fast a load as it will be more apt to cause leading?
I have Lymans #49 reloading manual. Also, its a Ruger Super Blackhawk, seven and half inch barrel. Thank you all again. Ill be spending some time here researching. Safe shooting.
Doug in Pa.

Borodin
03-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses. Ive gotten my info off of different sites for reloading. Just seemed like 2400 wasn't the favorite powder, but from what Im seeing here it will be fine. Am I to understand I don't want too fast a load as it will be more apt to cause leading?
I have Lymans #49 reloading manual. Also, its a Ruger Super Blackhawk, seven and half inch barrel. Thank you all again. Ill be spending some time here researching. Safe shooting.
Doug in Pa.

Hi Doug,

I use a SW 4" barrel, but find that 20.4gr of 2400 works extremely well... an inch to the right at 10 yards, off-hand. However, it is consistent and predictable.

DougGuy
03-04-2014, 07:06 PM
2400 is probably the most favored powder for .44 magnum that has ever been made. Nothing wrong with your combo either. The thing is, boolits are sized .430" and depending on their hardness, they may prove to be a little undersized which will promote leading in the bore. Also, if they are quite hard, as in bhn22 or thereabouts, that alone can promote leading at max velocities, plus it looks like they use the hard lube which imo is not the most effective choice but hey it gets boolits sold and shipped and out the door so...

On this site there are dozens of well informed 7 1/2" SBH owners like yourself, who have wrung out loads, hardness, boolit diameters, cylinder throat reaming/honing, sizing boolits to fit honed cylinders, choices of alloy, lube, powders and primers, so you are surrounded by educated and experienced shooters and tinkerers. You have found a good place to land in getting your .44 sorted out.

mr surveyor
03-04-2014, 08:55 PM
if you can't do it with lead, 2400 or Unique, it probably can't be done with a .44.

Packy
03-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Some like 2400 never tried it in 44 myself. Unique or 296 are my go to powders for 44. With any weight boolit.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Your powder choice is fine for the 44 mag....I have shot up many pounds of 2400 With Mr. Keith's 429421 & 429215....I have used a dozen other powders also, if you want max fast 296 will do. I use 20 gr. of 2400 250 gr. in my rugers for elephant, rino and bear...[smilie=1: I use the 429215 & 20 gr of 2400 for everyday can/rock rabbits, deer, moose killing....:Fire:
I also use a lot of Unique....the 44 is pretty easy going for powder type...try some and see what you like...If you are interested in accuracy, you need boolits that fit your pistol BBL...slug your BBl when you start working for accuracy. read the threads & stickies , lots of info there. Most commercial lead boolits are very hard and usually don't fit your bore for best fit. So when you start leading the BBl, look at the slugs first before worrying about changing powder... this game has many in's and out's. makes it interesting.[smilie=1:

The point being Have Fun:-D

redneck44
03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Looks like the ones I bought have a bhn of 18, will that cause leading issues?
Also, looking at my Lyman 49 manual would #429667 page #378 be close to what Im going to be loading? Starting at 18.5 gr.?
And, if I may ask, what recommended fps would I need to keep under so as to avoid the leading?
Appreciate the help, Thanks in advance.

Larry Gibson
03-05-2014, 10:14 AM
18 - 20 gr of 2400 will be fine with that bullet in your Ruger. Any leading issues will be a function of the lube. A coat of LLA may very well cure that.

Larry Gibson

redneck44
03-05-2014, 01:15 PM
LLA?
Im new to the cast bullet aspect of reloading. Could you explain, please?

redneck44
03-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Also, looking at the batch of boolits I bought, what is the blue ring, is that what they call a gas check, or is that a lubricant of some sort? Thank you

AlaskanGuy
03-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Lol... That blue ring is their version of lube... It is placed in a groove called a lube grove.. I personally would load about 18gr of 2400 and shoot 6 or so and examine your barrel... If there is nothing unusual, then shoot em up.... If there is some leading, then time to look at lube and sizing issues....

LLA is Lee Liquid Alox, a main stay lee lube for tumble lubing...

Have fun...

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-05-2014, 01:54 PM
You have a really good manual in the "Lymans #49 reloading manual".
while you can get some bits and pieces of info from the internet and youtube,
PLEASE READ the entire first half of that manual (if you've read it, please read it again). Especially the casting chapter. While you may not plan on starting casting, there will be gems of info mixed in, that will help you load cast boolits successfully.
Good Luck
Jon

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-05-2014, 01:59 PM
New to site, looks very informative.
I have a question regarding my .44 Rem. magnum and some bullets and powder Ive ordered.
Ive bought 2400 powder and 240 grain lead bullets. Im looking for some advice on loads for this combination. In retrospect, what Ive read since purchasing said componets it looks like 2400 is not the ideal powder for reloading these lead bullets.
Im concerned about leading in my revolver. Its a Ruger with a seventh and a half inch barrel. barrel. Wondering if I can some advice on powder charge for this combo?
Thank you.
Here is the bullets ordered.

http://www.friendswoodbullet.com/44_MAG_240grain_SWC/p132676_306849.aspx#.UxXV3s-YYqS

Most Lead fouling is caused by under sized boolits, as compared to the actual size of the cylinder throats and the Barrel groove dia. and if there are any restrictions in the barrel...from the threads or roll stamping. Also, can be caused by the lube, but in handguns with barrels shorter than 10", that is rare.

redneck44
03-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone, for the advice.
I have been reloading for about a year or so, and have been doing ok, just that Im new to the lead boolits, don't want to start out on the wrong foot. Im glad I hooked up with you folks. Ill keep you posted. Could be a while yet before my supplies roll in though. take care, Doug in Pa.

DougGuy
03-05-2014, 06:12 PM
What you got now, is just a starting place. It's the first cast boolit you ordered, loaded, and shot. There will come many more after this, it's a fun learning curve really, you try something, look and see how it shoots, if it leads the bore, you post about it, read others' posts about it, then you form an opinion on it, and contemplate what the next move will be. There's a lot to be gained from paying attention to the small details. Like the blue hard lube, bleh, that's my say on it, just bleh..

Another one is the driving band like what's on the front of the Keith style semi wadcutter. Those get deformed -very- easily by the forcing cone, and it's sorta up to the luck of the draw how well your cylinder times up to the barrel whether your gun will like and shoot that style well or just so so.

I like a longer more tapered 11° forcing cone, and I like a boolit with a smooth ojive and long bearing surfaces on the sides, and a wide flat nose. Those shoot extremely well in my SBH (which is the same model as yours).

9w1911
03-07-2014, 01:12 AM
people dont read anymore

Hickok
03-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Redneck, don't let the fear of leading discourage you. It can be taken care of if it happens. Larry Gibson has a very good tip about the LLA. It can really help with a commercial cast bullet, and it is easy to do. Also, I would not go over 20 gr.2400 powder with a 240-250gr cast boolit. The older manuals list 22 gr of 2400, but the newer batches of this powder are hotter and faster than yesteryears. Over the years of loading .44 magnums, I have found this to be a true fact.

Do as Alaskanguy says and work up.

Truthfully, if you take the step to get involved and start casting your own boolits, you will see a great improvement over commercial cast.

The boolit masters here are a wealth of knowledge and help.

redneck44
03-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Thank you Hickok,
I do read my manuals, always looking for some hands on advice from people like you, to cement, if you would, what ive read, and to make sure I understand just what Im reading.My Lymans 49 should be pretty up to date, shouldn't it?
Could you explain LLA for me please?

redneck44
03-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Looked it up, its some sort of bullet lube, how would I use it for commercial bullets? Do I tumble them with the lube added, or what?

redneck44
03-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Also, can I just lube the commercial lead bullets I bought with the LLA, or do I need special dies or anything else?
Looking at some videos on it but im unclear as to operation. Thank you for any advice you guys may have.

MT Gianni
03-07-2014, 07:02 PM
LLA is Lee Liquid Alox and can be put over any bullet. Put a small amount in a plastic tub and swirl it around. Dry on waxed paper and you are set. I don't use it as a lube by itself but if you are buying bullets it might be needed as a cover in addition to the existing hard lube on the bullets.

Hickok
03-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Lee liquid Alox. Real easy. Just put a small ammount into a sandwich bag, freezer bag, or a plastic container, add your boolits and swirl them around to coat them. A little dab will do ya!

You can tumble loob your commercial boolits just as they are, no problem.

Good info on tumble loobing on this site, look for stickys in Boolit loob section.

redneck44
03-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated, Il check out the sticky