PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Pointing Mould Options

smokeywolf
03-04-2014, 03:32 AM
Some months ago I saw a thread discussing available HP options on retail moulds. There was the Cramer design, the inset bar design, the conventional pin with handle and the other design mentioned was a plate (spring steel I believe) with pins attached that would flex when mould is opened causing pins to angle out slightly and help release boolits from cavities. I like this design and would like to know who the mould producer/retailer is who offers this HP design option. Also, are there any other styles or designs out there that I haven't mentioned?

smokeywolf

JeffinNZ
03-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Erik.

www.hollowpointmold.com

Beagle333
03-04-2014, 06:29 AM
NOE has pins that tip out, not really flex, but slide in a slot in a little metal rail.
www.noebulletmolds.com
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture068_zps1e1fd4cb.jpg

smokeywolf
03-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks for your responses Jeff and Beagle. Forgot to mention that I'd seen the NOE pin rails too.

What I'm really up to here is, I have a couple of different designs in mind and want to make sure I'm not going to be duplicating something that's already been done. If what I want already exists, making one or two for myself is a non-issue, but precludes me from making it for anyone else.

smokeywolf

AbitNutz
03-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Beagle33..great picture. Can you post a photo of the bottom and back so I can see the details of how that all works? I'm a visual learner...

Beagle333
03-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Well, I don't have any pics of that available, but I'll try to remember to take some when I get home if nobody else has posted some. 8-)

AbitNutz
03-04-2014, 12:08 PM
One thing I've noticed about HP molds is that if it's a small bullet and low cavity count, like a 2 or 3 cavity mold. Then the pins never seem to warm up. It seems to be less of a problem if it's a 4, 5 or 6 cavity mold. Even a 4 cavity mold seems to keep me moving like a one armed paper hanger to try and keep things hot.

Would an iron or brass be better than aluminum in this case? I'm looking at a 30 cal 115Gr, 4 or 5 cavity HP mold.

Beagle333 that would be much appreciated.

Beagle333
03-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Here is a page with some pictures of it.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?154778-Blammer-Mould-prep&highlight=Blammer

This might even benefit a few new mold owners.

AbitNutz
03-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks! I think I get the idea. It looks like the simplest of multi-cavity HP solutions. It's no wonder that he can offer HP molds for so little. That is an extremely clever solution.

How does it work? Is there a downside to it over the cramer or Inset style?

smokeywolf
03-04-2014, 05:04 PM
One thing I've noticed about HP molds is that if it's a small bullet and low cavity count, like a 2 or 3 cavity mold. Then the pins never seem to warm up. It seems to be less of a problem if it's a 4, 5 or 6 cavity mold. Even a 4 cavity mold seems to keep me moving like a one armed paper hanger to try and keep things hot.

Would an iron or brass be better than aluminum in this case? I'm looking at a 30 cal 115Gr, 4 or 5 cavity HP mold.

Beagle333 that would be much appreciated.

The pins cool quickly after opening the mould because after the mould is opened, the only avenue for heat transfer is the minimal contact between the pins and the rails that hold them.

smokeywolf