PDA

View Full Version : In need of alloy selection guidance

Bryan527
03-04-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm new to bullet casting and need some expert opinions to clear up a couple things. I got a Lyman 358477 mould and handles a month ago and a Lyman casting kit a week ago. I have what I need to cast and size/lube. What I need is some expert opinions on what alloys to use. I intend to load this bullet at velocities from 800-1200ish fps using .357 cases and appropriate powder. What I'm wondering is if I can use Lyman #2 alloy for both ends of the velocity range. Will this alloy slug up at the lower velocity? Is a 20-1 alloy too soft for the upper range? Being new to this, I'm going to buy alloy so I can eliminate a variable as I learn the process.

The Lyman kit included three different bullet lubes: Supermoly, Alox, and Orange Magic. Which lube would you recommend?

Thanks.

jmort
03-04-2014, 03:13 AM
No expert opinion here, 20 to 1 would work well for entire range. You could also mix Lyman #2 50/50 with pure lead. Either way you are good up to 1200 fps. Might make sense to buy foundry alloy just to get started but the real fun is in smelting and making alloys of your own. I am not a fan of Supermoly. I would go with Alox for what you describe.

johnnysespresso
03-04-2014, 09:45 PM
I am also new to this. Except for casting 12ga. slugs from pure lead 20 years ago, I had little equipment and knowledge. I am waiting for some "Hardball" (92-6-2) to arrive, along with two moulds, so I can get started. I also want to start with a known alloy to eliminate one variable. I figure I can blend my own alloys later after I get my feet wet.

runfiverun
03-04-2014, 11:44 PM
both the Lyman #2 and the 2/6 [hardball] alloy's would do jut fine cut in half with pure lead.

I'd probably just melt all three of the lube sticks together and go with the end result.
i spent a long time trying to duplicate [improve] lymans moly lube.

kind of an about face as i started with it and didn't care for it right off.
20 years later i went out of my way to [almost] duplicate it.

Bigslug
03-05-2014, 12:48 AM
I've been running WW + 2% tin in fairly stout .357's and .44's. This is about 12BHN and is probably pretty close to #2 cut 1-1 with pure lead. The impression I'm getting is that they want to be a little softer still. I'm toying with the idea of going to a 10 BHN boolit, which you could arrive at by mixing pure lead into # at a ratio of 2-1.