PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your molds?

Blanco
03-03-2014, 04:41 PM
I haven't been casting for very long.
I happen to one of the new refugees from the commercial shortages. I have always been one to make something if I can't find it. Which brings me to where I am today.
Because of being on a budget Lee Precision is my newest friend. I see all the shiny things and have to have them. I will also shop wherever to save a buck or 2. I really dig the Lee 6 bangers because they make lots of boolits fast.
So today I was looking for a 9mm and 45 molds, and was hitting all the various suppliers web sites. The 6 hole molds were priced from about $32. ~$50 all of them tack shipping charges on top of that. Best case was somewhere just shy of $50 on up.
I remembered that I have a Amazon Prime account so I thought to check them.
After looking a bit I got my 2 molds for $44 and $46 and will not have to pay shipping, and they will be at my house tomorrow.
SO
Not a brag just a deal alert
Amazon can save you some money. You will pay for the prime membership but you get your money's worth many times over, just on shipping charges alone. I also get free E-books and free movies. There's are a whole bunch more than that.
I know everyone has their favorite places to shop and Amazon is not for everyone but if you buy online it may be worth checking into.

osteodoc08
03-03-2014, 05:13 PM
If it's a commercial mold-RCBS, Lyman, etc. I'll look at midway, Natchez, mid south......whoever has the best price with shipping gets my business.

If it's an NOE, Accurate, MiHec; I search their respective website and I just see what's available when I'm mold hunting.

Then there's always the S&S and GB forum here.

Hit up your local online trader.

Lots of places to find molds. The last place I look is FleaBay.

DeanWinchester
03-03-2014, 05:16 PM
The last dozen or so that I picked up; I bought at this cool little Internet dive. Mostly a bunch of old farts who know more than I have the capacity to learn. They're pretty helpful and usually sell stuff for a reasonable price. Here's a link to their website if you wanna check them out.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

jmort
03-03-2014, 05:52 PM
"...cool little Internet dive."

^ HaHa funny. Got a lot of used ones from internet dive patrons, and also new Lee, Accurate, and Sharpshooter. In a group buy for Mihec, my first brass mold.

Smoke4320
03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Man I wasted a whole click to find myself right back here in the "old farts" club :)
what was I thinking !!!
yes... right here is one of the best places to pick up used mold at great prices

bangerjim
03-03-2014, 06:17 PM
I buy them where I can find when (I think !!) I need them. I have used almost all the standard suppliers listed above and also fsreloading.com.

I use LEE molds all together, but am looking as some nice NOE molds in the near future.

banger

dragon813gt
03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
I stopped buying production molds because they are never what I really want. Buying from one of the custom makers is money well spent.

03-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Interestingly enough, my last three moulds have been purchased right here -- a group buy NOE, and two from members. Pretty cool to keep it in house whenever possible.

For the small difference in price, between a custom and a new Lyman or RCBS, the custom manufacturer will get my business. If a Lee, it would be from whichever company had the lowest delivered price.

jmort
03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Forgot H2M molds. Real nice. We are most fortunate mold wise. I have to say, regardless of price, the Lee Precision .358 158 grain RFN is one of my favorites. Best $20.00 I ever spent for a mold.

cbrick
03-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Man I wasted a whole click to find myself right back here in the "old farts" club :)
what was I thinking !!!

Wasted is right, that's a click that you'll never get back. :mrgreen:

Rick

Blanco
03-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I read the address string and still fell in

spfd1903
03-03-2014, 07:59 PM
I have purchased six, or so, Lee and Lyman molds, a few handles, and probably 5 or 6 die sets through Amazon prime. No problems, and saves some shipping cost. Though not through Amazon prime, I have bought a lot of used brass on Amazon this year. Counts were good, and the brass was in great shape.

jonp
03-03-2014, 08:40 PM
The last dozen or so that I picked up; I bought at this cool little Internet dive. Mostly a bunch of old farts who know more than I have the capacity to learn. They're pretty helpful and usually sell stuff for a reasonable price. Here's a link to their website if you wanna check them out.
Nice!

SWANEEDB
03-03-2014, 08:44 PM
N.O.E.:grin:

hickfu
03-03-2014, 11:29 PM
NOE and Accurate for rifle, and so far only Lee for pistol.... I do want that NOE hollow point for the 45acp though

Doc

TXGunNut
03-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Started out with a few Lyman moulds from Midway and BACO but soon moved on to aluminum moulds. Many are Lee moulds bought from Ranch Dog before he moved on to better things, several more are Lee moulds purchased from Midway but I enjoy the quality of custom moulds from NOE and HM2. Looks like I'll be doing business with Tom @ Accurate soon, looking forward to seeing his work.
By all means stay away from the Group Buys lower down on the forum. Guaranteed makings for a SWAG junkie only a few clicks away. ;-)

MT Chambers
03-03-2014, 11:49 PM
I don't use Lee at all but for Saeco, RCBS, Lyman....Baco. NOE, ACCURATE, and LBT get most of my business.

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2014, 11:53 PM
Like Bret, I get mine where I find 'em. I've bought new moulds direct from the manufacturer and from various vendors...including a few gunshow traders. Up to a couple of years ago, I bought quite a few moulds on Flea Bay...until the prices got so unbelieveably stupid. Recently, though, all my buys have been either from one of the Forum Vendor/Sponsors or through our Swap & Sell.

Bill

sidecarmike
03-03-2014, 11:55 PM
If you buy Lees, try www.titanreloading.com They are located a couple blocks from Lee and keep about ten times as much stock. They also beat the factory prices. Funny as that sounds, Lee keeps their prices at retail so as not to undercut the distributors. I like that Titan is a Mom and Pop shop as well.
The only thing I don't like is that the shopping cart defaults to UPS. Many times USPS parcel is cheaper so be sure to look at all the shipping options.

Bullwolf
03-04-2014, 12:04 AM
I have to second that. If you want to buy a Lee Mould try out Titan reloading. Click on one of the forum banner adds since they are also a Cast Boolits site sponsor.

They are FAST and have great prices and shipping.

I have obtained Lee moulds from titan in far better shape than from the Lee factory.

One recent purchased 6 cavity Lee mould straight from Lee was actually shipped to me in the Lee cardboard mould box with just some scotch tape on it (no padding or any other packaging) and a shipping label pasted over the Lee logo on the outside.

Amazingly it arrived in halfway decent shape, well the mould inside did at least, I can't say the same for the box.

Titan is pretty hard to beat, and are good people to boot.

- Bullwolf

Bzcraig
03-04-2014, 12:33 AM

I resemble that my brother! :drinks:

Titan a Reloading has been my go to for Lee stuff exclusively.

Blanco
03-04-2014, 09:36 AM
I have purchased from Titan several times. Good to know they are a mom & pop operation. They always seem to have great prices too. It's the shipping that kills it.

Janoosh
03-04-2014, 09:57 AM
My top.three:
I haunt.the swap + selling of the I ool little internet dive.
Group buys at the same place especially if made by NOE
Midsouth
Local gun store.

Mal Paso
03-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I found Elmer Keith's 6 guns for $15 new on Amazon. I have a PID controller with thermocouple and 25A SSR for on the way $41. Not always the best price but often enough to join Prime.

Harter66
03-04-2014, 11:25 PM
I got a couple from Midway but I had enough and it must have been cheaper shipping then.
The last 3 were from Titan and another from NOE. 3-4 from S&S on that cool lil'dive. I have a couple of group buys pending 1 of which I'm pretty sure died.

JimA
03-05-2014, 07:51 AM
I have purchased from Titan several times. Good to know they are a mom & pop operation. They always seem to have great prices too. It's the shipping that kills it.

Be sure to scroll down through the shipping options at checkout. I have always got priority 2 day mail ($7.50) on smaller orders that are far cheaper than the other suppliers. It even beats Grafs free shipping ($7.95) Orders get to my house quicker than the others too.

dragon813gt
03-05-2014, 09:03 AM
I've heard the shipping cost from Titan complaint quite a bit. And I'm not sure why. They give you more options than most places. I guess since I'm relatively close the rates are better than other vendors that are further away. When using Midway I gladly pay the extra money to have UPS deliver it the entire way. To many delays when the USPS gets involved.

Trinidad Bill
03-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info folks! I need to purchase my second 38-55 mould and wondering where is the best place was. Now I have a pretty good idea.

I will continue watching this site, but as of yet have not seen one.

JimA
03-05-2014, 11:07 AM
I've heard the shipping cost from Titan complaint quite a bit. And I'm not sure why. They give you more options than most places. I guess since I'm relatively close the rates are better than other vendors that are further away. When using Midway I gladly pay the extra money to have UPS deliver it the entire way. To many delays when the USPS gets involved.

The problem seems to be that Midway doesn't ship USPS priority mail directly. They send it part way by UPS and then it gets delivered to your address (slowly) by the mail. I've never had a problem with direct priority mail deliveries and wonder why Midway doesn't use it.

Green Frog
03-05-2014, 11:20 AM
I seldom buy a new mould, since many of the designs that "strike my fancy" are unavailable on the new, retail market. Soooo... I buy (or trade for) the moulds I want/need wherever and whenever I can find them. If I see a mould that looks like I might ever use it, I acquire it if I can. The last three moulds I have acquired for myself were by a trade, a private purchase of a used mould (here) and one from a group buy (also here.) This doesn't reflect on the number I have gotten at gun shows, flea markets, and of course the ubiquitous flea-Bay. In short, you have to beat the bushes and be ready to jump when you find anything that looks useful. :coffeecom

:( Unfortunately, this strategy does not provide instant gratification. If you are just starting out, you might want to just "bite the bullet" (pun intended) and buy one or two you will be using a lot from a dealer, paying a premium for the immediate use of the system. Keep in mind that many of us have been "at this" for many years... in my case about 40! :Luvcastboolits:

Froggie

leadmonkey
03-05-2014, 11:54 AM
I've only bought one mold so far. I was looking for a new Lee mold, handles, and casting pot. I shopped around, checking all the known suppliers I could find, looking at total cost, shipping and all.

A guy on evilbay had the best price of all, by a significant margin.

sidecarmike
03-05-2014, 12:12 PM

The problem is user error. The shopping cart defaults to UPS 3 day. My last order would have been $16.45 for shipping. By choosing USPS, though I hate dealing with the Post Office, I save $9.65. If you just click through OK, OK, OK, you pay the higher rate. Once your order gets past 5 or 6 pounds, it gets cheaper to go UPS.

mold maker
03-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Midway puts Lee moulds and handles on sale quiet often. It pays to watch the sale ads. I have quiet a collection of moulds from lots of years on this site. Retirement was the planed us,e and now that I'm retired, I have almost no time.
Go figure.

Thin Man
03-05-2014, 02:22 PM
I got started when I met a guy who wanted to sell out his smelter, lube-sizer and gathering of 10-11 molds for one money. The lesson stuck. I very much prefer to buy at used equipment vendors (including the net), yard sales and estate sales when I can find something/anything that will work. This suggests I am shopping for multiple calibers and applications. With fewer calibers you will have fewer opportunities than above. Shop the sources others have listed previously and compare the total cost with shipping being a common hinge factor. Yes, I have bought from new retail vendors and group buys when the item was that narrowly suited to the need. Being that you are getting started I suggest you acquire both aluminum and steel molds to experience both, thus to help guide your future interests.

Thin Man

stinjie
03-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Another vote for Titan here.Good prices overall plus fast delivery.

CGT80
03-06-2014, 04:51 AM
I have some old molds that my grandfather and dad used. I bought an RCBS mold from a member here. I bought an MP mold that was left over from a group buy. It was listed on his web site, IIRC. Then I bought an NOE mold. His customer service was top notch and he was quick. I was going to get a different mold from an MP group buy, but it had been going for a year. NOE had a suitable mold in stock. Ends up there was an error on the computer, but he got the mold made up and sent out anyway. I have used the boolits from this mold a number of times already and the MP group buy is still waiting. MP is a very good mold, but I didn't want to keep casting with a single cavity mold while waiting for it to get run.

My next mold may end up being an NOE 401 160 RN PB. There is a few in stock right now, but I am working with some samples that a member shipped to me, so I can see if they will be suitable for my gun.

I have a couple lee molds, but they are older and I am not thrilled with them. They made boolits, but I would probably throw them out the back door if I used them after running custom molds.

Leadmelter
03-06-2014, 08:33 PM
My last seven molds all came from NOE. In stock, fast ship, high quality. All so, three Lees from Midsouth.
Leadmelter
MI

waltherboy4040
03-07-2014, 12:41 AM
I haven't been casting for very long.
I happen to one of the new refugees from the commercial shortages. I have always been one to make something if I can't find it. Which brings me to where I am today.
Because of being on a budget Lee Precision is my newest friend. I see all the shiny things and have to have them. I will also shop wherever to save a buck or 2. I really dig the Lee 6 bangers because they make lots of boolits fast.
So today I was looking for a 9mm and 45 molds, and was hitting all the various suppliers web sites. The 6 hole molds were priced from about $32. ~$50 all of them tack shipping charges on top of that. Best case was somewhere just shy of $50 on up.
I remembered that I have a Amazon Prime account so I thought to check them.
After looking a bit I got my 2 molds for $44 and $46 and will not have to pay shipping, and they will be at my house tomorrow.
SO
Not a brag just a deal alert
Amazon can save you some money. You will pay for the prime membership but you get your money's worth many times over, just on shipping charges alone. I also get free E-books and free movies. There's are a whole bunch more than that.
I know everyone has their favorite places to shop and Amazon is not for everyone but if you buy online it may be worth checking into.

just a heads up since you use amazon if you join bing you get credits for searching that can be traded for gift cards

http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_91a19ea3-e7b8-59cd-4e8e-754ffbecc684

I bought my first mold through amazon because of gift card I had and it came to the same price after shipping with the closet competitor. Amazon doesn't always have the best selection tho.

Trinidad Bill
03-07-2014, 03:01 PM
I just purchased a Lee 379-250-RF from FSReloading.com, $18.99+$6.00 shipping. I have great service from FSReloading for Lee products.

gwpercle
03-07-2014, 05:19 PM
I prefer to buy from local dealers. Last shopping trip to 3 different dealers yielded nothing...no moulds, no mould handles, powder, primers, bullets...zip, nada, not anything and I had cash money to spend.
The last 3 new moulds were "new" Lee 2-cavity ordered from Midway and before that 3 used Lyman's were purchased off E-bay at reasonable price not any insane amount some have sold for.

Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
all my Lee molds are bought from Midsouth. I try to buy several at a time, to get the best bang for the buck.