PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron (Uberti) Low-Wall?

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Does anyone have one of these? If so, how would you rank the overall quality and accuracy? Judging only from the catalogue pics, there's a nice one in .32-20 coming up on a consignment auction and I'm trying to make up my mind about placing a bid or two.

Also, if somebody has one in .32-20, what are you using for reloading dies? According to customer service at Cimarron, these rifles have 'modern' (.308) groove dia. and, having no experience reloading the .32-20, I'm wondering if current dies are bored to neck size/expand for .308 or .311/.312 boolits?

Bill

OuchHot!
03-03-2014, 07:02 PM
I am very interested in this thread as I would like to have a lo wall in 32-20. The Uberti that I handled seemed well put together. The wood was slightly proud of the receiver but certainly not a bad fit. The only thing that I could complain about as it would have only taken a second or three on the cnc to profile the lever, it was left a little blocky and not the voluptuous shape I like. The bore looked smooth. This was in 357 (I think) and shot well. The owner was happy.

Dan Cash
03-03-2014, 08:19 PM
You will probably find that the Uberti is as good as it gets for off the shelf guns. I don't have a Uberti rifle but do have a couple of their revolvers and they are first quality.

Nobade
03-03-2014, 09:08 PM
With the current exchange rate, the American made rifles are priced much more attractively compared to the Italian ones. Check out C. Sharps Arms, they make a much nicer and reasonably affordable low wall.

-Nobade

TCFAN
03-03-2014, 09:19 PM
On the die question. I have a TC Contender in 32-20 with a .308 groove diameter and found a set of Redding series C dies marked 30-20 made for the contender 32-20. The part # is 80254.They work just fine for my Contender barrel........Terry

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2014, 11:27 PM
With the current exchange rate, the American made rifles are priced much more attractively compared to the Italian ones. Check out C. Sharps Arms, they make a much nicer and reasonably affordable low wall.

-Nobade

I checked C. Sharps online catalogue and their 1885s are all High-Walls and there's no caliber option for a .32-20. The current exchange rate isn't relevant in this case, either. The gun I'm looking at is a (lightly) used rifle being sold as part of an estate auction. Previous owner's collection held something over 1000 guns and the upcoming sale is the second phase of the liquidation. I've already made up my mind what I'm willing to pay and, if I can't get it for that, I'll walk away. Besides, if I don't get the Low-Wall, there's a Ruger#3 in .30-40 listed on the same sale...

Bill

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2014, 11:42 PM
You will probably find that the Uberti is as good as it gets for off the shelf guns. I don't have a Uberti rifle but do have a couple of their revolvers and they are first quality.

Yup! I've already got a J.H. Taylor (mfg'd by Uberti) High-Wall in .38-55 and...outside of a couple of custom-barreled match guns...it may well be the most consistently accurate rifle I own. Just finished putting that one back together after a little trigger work and refinishing the wood. Never cared for that darn high-gloss (varnish?) finish the Italians like so much. Mine seemed to scratch if you looked at it wrong...much less actually laid it on the bench without a full-length pad.

Bill

Nobade
03-03-2014, 11:44 PM
I checked C. Sharps online catalogue and their 1885s are all High-Walls and there's no caliber option for a .32-20. The current exchange rate isn't relevant in this case, either. The gun I'm looking at is a (lightly) used rifle being sold as part of an estate auction. Previous owner's collection held something over 1000 guns and the upcoming sale is the second phase of the liquidation. I've already made up my mind what I'm willing to pay and, if I can't get it for that, I'll walk away. Besides, if I don't get the Low-Wall, there's a Ruger#3 in .30-40 listed on the same sale...

Bill

They do make a 32-20 low wall, but maybe it is hard to find on the web site? But I see, the estate sale changes things. Either of those two rifles should be fun to play with! Good luck with the sale.

-Nobade

gunsbrad
03-04-2014, 08:13 AM
hornady dies are really good and they come with two different expander balls. One for .308 and one for .312 bullets.

Brad Hurt

Kraschenbirn
03-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Auction was held today and, upon physical examination, the Cimarron/Uberti Low-Wall was actually a litttle better than described in the sale bill. Wood well-fitted with some nice figure and bluing/casehardening immaculate. Was listed as "LNIB" but I, honestly, don't believe it's been fired since it left the factory...not a speck of visible fouling in the bore and a snug patch run a couple inches into the muzzle on a nylon stylus showed nothing but clean oil. While I didn't have a pull gauge with me, the trigger is feels fairly light and breaks very cleanly.

Best part was that I got it for $225 UNDER the 'top dollar' figure I'd established before actually seeing/handling the piece. Due to the nitwit Illinois waiting period, I'm unable to pick it up until Wednesday but will post pics shortly once I've got it home.

Bill

Kraschenbirn
03-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Here's the pics I promised. The Marble Tang Sight didn't come with the gun; it's one that came off my Highwall when I upgraded to a Lee Shaver Mid-Range. Barrel's a 1-20 twist and, out of the box, the trigger breaks at 3 1/2 lbs. Snagged a Lymal 311008 yesterday and dies/brass should be here Monday.

Bill

blackpowder man
03-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Yep, I would have taken that home too withiut a second thought about it. Very nice looking and a great caliber as well. I like rimmed cartridges in single shots, especially historic calibers. Well done. Next you must post some target pics once you get 'er up and running.

Tar Heel
03-21-2014, 11:23 PM
On the die question. I have a TC Contender in 32-20 with a .308 groove diameter and found a set of Redding series C dies marked 30-20 made for the contender 32-20. The part # is 80254.They work just fine for my Contender barrel........Terry

Ditto on the T/C in .32-20 Mine is a tack driver using the Accurate Mold 313120B sized to .312 believe it or not and set atop 7gr of AA7. That rascal will shoot 3" groups at 100 yards.

Tar Heel
03-21-2014, 11:26 PM
My RCBS dies work just fine. They are accurately sized to account for the nominal .313 bullet diameter but I routinely load .308 bullets in the cases with enough neck tension to hold them firmly. I shoot the .308 110gr bullets out of a T/C Contender (32-20) with a .308 bore.

Kraschenbirn
03-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Just as an FYI for everyone. "Modern bore" info provided by Cimarron Customer Service was INCORRECT. First thing after I brought it home, I slugged the bore and found it's a .310 groove dia.

Bill

Leftie
03-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Yes I have one and its toped with a Malcolm 3X scope I got fron Dixie gun works the gun shoots and looks great, I',m shooting 115 gr.RNFP boolit miked at 313 dia.

bigted
03-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Here's the pics I promised. The Marble Tang Sight didn't come with the gun; it's one that came off my Highwall when I upgraded to a Lee Shaver Mid-Range. Barrel's a 1-20 twist and, out of the box, the trigger breaks at 3 1/2 lbs. Snagged a Lymal 311008 yesterday and dies/brass should be here Monday.

Bill

my goodness ... what a snifty looking rifle. very nice job of landing it ... I bet it will give service in spades to you. not trying to be nosey ... however I gotta ask ... what was the final price for such a beauty? id consider a 38-40 or a 44-40 model in this same style. just interested in what I could expect for a cash outlay.

thanks for showing such a doll. please do post how she shoots when you get er out for the first outing.

5095 JRH
03-22-2014, 09:12 PM
I bet you'll be tickled with that gun once you shoot it.
I've got several of Uberti's rifles and they all shoot as well as any western style gun I've bought off the shelf at any price.
Sad to say that considering the number of Winchester and Marlin rifles I own.

ndnchf
04-18-2014, 07:52 AM
What a beauty - how about an update? Enquiring minds want to know how she shoots! :-)

Auction was held today and, upon physical examination, the Cimarron/Uberti Low-Wall was actually a litttle better than described in the sale bill. Wood well-fitted with some nice figure and bluing/casehardening immaculate. Was listed as "LNIB" but I, honestly, don't believe it's been fired since it left the factory...not a speck of visible fouling in the bore and a snug patch run a couple inches into the muzzle on a nylon stylus showed nothing but clean oil. While I didn't have a pull gauge with me, the trigger is feels fairly light and breaks very cleanly.

Best part was that I got it for $225 UNDER the 'top dollar' figure I'd established before actually seeing/handling the piece. Due to the nitwit Illinois waiting period, I'm unable to pick it up until Wednesday but will post pics shortly once I've got it home.

Bill