PDA

View Full Version : Remington R1 with cast

jim 44-40
03-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Picked up a R1 last year and shot 150 rds of hardball to break it in.Cleaned barrel good and cast some lead 220gr to try, I'm pleased with the load but not done trying other powders.And maybe some linotype. almost forgot no trace of lead in barrel.:Fire:

kweidner
03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
lino is too hard for .45. Use coww or softer. Cut your lino with pure if need be. Try bullseye powder and you will understand why many shoot it. The .45 just doesn't run enough pressure to need the hard stuff. It probably will really lead with lino. Get yourself an hg68 clone from tom or Al and never look back.

ramhunter
03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm shooting a/c wheelweights from a lyman #452460 with 4.5gr 700X. no leading and I'm still learning about the pistol. shoots low so i'll be working on the sights this spring.

double00
03-03-2014, 07:00 PM
i bought a R1 new about a year ago and it shot low. I emailed remington and they sent me a different front sight free of charge.

cwheel
03-03-2014, 07:14 PM
We shot 500 or so through a friends new R1 last summer when he was here right after he bought it. To have it headspace correctly, had to throat ream the barrel. See the sticky above on throating, and look at the round how it sets in the barrel before and after, big difference. Field strip your gun and do the plunk test, see where the round sits. Most will need this done to work well.
Chris

jim 44-40
03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
I did the plunk test when I made a dummy round,
We shot 500 or so through a friends new R1 last summer when he was here right after he bought it. To have it headspace correctly, had to throat ream the barrel. See the sticky above on throating, and look at the round how it sets in the barrel before and after, big difference. Field strip your gun and do the plunk test, see where the round sits. Most will need this done to work well.
Chris

oldfart1956
03-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Jim, I've got a coupl'a thousand rounds or more thru mine so far. Purchased in Oct. if I recall. Using the same mold as well. Excellent shooter and very happy with the gun. I started out with Unique but decided to use up some Bullseye and as mentioned...it works great. I'm hoping to switch to Unique in everything but....dang...4.2gr. of Bullseye thru the Lee Auto-Disk is puddy cheap shooting. Can't locate Bullseye locally now and have a jug of Winchester WST I'm working on. It's o.k. I guess. Bullseye meters incredibly well....Unique bears watching at such small amounts. It can bridge in the powder dropper. I tried the Lyman version of the H&G 68 in mine with 6 different magazines...ain't happening. As mentioned it probably would need some smithing to work correctly. Take a look at the sticky on throating and you'll see one of the (minor) problems with the R1. The rifling just in front of the chamber has no taper/throat. I should fix that but leading is so minor and doesn't build up worth fooling with. Oh...I've shot everything from pure lead to Lyman #2 thru mine. Doesn't seem to matter. All sized .452. Recently picked up 2K pieces of range brass and got half of them loaded now...beginning to see the merit of the progressive presses. (I'm using a new Lee Classic turret.) Audie..the Oldfart...southcentral Pa.