PDA

View Full Version : Ruger factory refurbishment.

rbeach
03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
I just purchased a Ruger Blackhawk and think I am going to send it in to be refurbished and blued. Has anyone else had experience with Ruger? Good or bad.

Char-Gar
03-03-2014, 01:09 PM
I sent a Ruger back in about 97 and Ruger did a great job on the reblue. Later I added a stainless steel grip frame, but the rest is Ruger factory refinish. Here is a pic.

Outpost75
03-03-2014, 01:15 PM
I have two Rugers which I have owned for over 30 years and have had factory refurbed and have been delighted with the results.

rbeach
03-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys. Char-Gar, were did you get the grip frame? That looks great.

Char-Gar
03-03-2014, 02:21 PM
It is a stainless steel grip frame for the Ruger Old Army. I bought in on Ebay and fitted it to the pistol.

rbeach
03-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Looks great

Gunor
03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
How much for Factory re-blueing or other items?

Geoff in Oregon

bedbugbilly
03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Char-Gar - very nice! That's a great looking pistol! I'm just curious . . . . what do they charge for refurbishing a handgun and approx. turn around time?

I know Ruger has excellent customer service - I own a number of Rugers and love them all. It's nice to know they'll refurbish one - I actually never gave it much thought - especially if a person ran across a used one with finish wear on it.

Char-Gar
03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Remember this was 1997 or so. Ruger replaced the barrel, cylinder, grips and reblued it for about $140.00. The reblue was a fraction of that total. I remember thinking at the time, it was much cheaper than having some gun reblue place do it. You should check with Ruger for current prices.

I picked the pistol us very cheap because the barrel and cylinder were pitted beyond use. I think somebody was playing with black powder and didn't bother to clean it.

I don't recall the turn around time, but it seemed to me to be pretty quick. Again you need to check with Ruger on current times.

I would have to do some serious head scratching to come up with an exact figure, but I have less than $300.00 in that handgun. It shoots as good as it looks.

bedbugbilly
03-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks Char-Gar . . . that was a very reasonable price for all of the work they did on it. It sure turned out nice. I've owned Rugers for a lot of years and never had an issue with any of them. I really didn't realize that they did refurbishing work but it makes sense. . . . gives a person the option of making a "silk purse out of a sow's ear" if you run across one that the previous owner didn't take care of. Thanks again for the info - greatly appreciated and enjoy that nice revolver!

Uncle Grinch
03-04-2014, 01:58 PM
I have shipped two Blackhawks back to Ruger and have been very pleased with the quality of work and price. Please note one thing....... Be sure to make sure your gun is completely stock, as it came from the factory. They will not work on any non-stock guns. They replaced the ejector rod housing on my 45 BH because mine had an after-market steel housing. I had to pay for "another" factory housing to get my gun back. This includes grips and sights.

rbeach
03-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Pretty sure this is all stock.