PDA

View Full Version : 375 jdj

Bignutt
03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Anybody cast for a 375 jdj in a contender pistol? Considering getting one, wondered how it's worked for others. Any used it on deer and hogs?

Fluxed
03-03-2014, 01:10 PM
I had one back when they originated. Absolutely stunning cartridge in a Contender. Very accurate and all the recoil I could manage. I mostly used jacketed but the Lyman 38-55 375248 worked well.

Bullshop
03-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Never used one but think I have a set of RCBS dies floating around.

fryboy
03-03-2014, 03:19 PM
no game with it but in my carbine version it was the most fun i'd seen my brother have in quite a few years and that was just with fireformings load ! most the heavier loverin type castings work acceptably well in it , i rarely lube but a couple of grooves with those however as they tend to either stick deep in the case or out in the neck ( depending upon your throat ) the lee makes a great plinker if'n you can find one that cast close to your needed size ( my old one did , the newer styled one not so much ) i've had considerable luck with a lighter NOE group buy , i recently acquired the NOE brp 275 but weather hasnt allowed to much testing ( let alone casting ), my best advice ? grab it and never look back ( great fun !! in either pistol or carbine version ) the heavy pachmayr's really help , both in grip and by adding a wee bit of weight
your biggest problem may be brass , it's kind of rare and the hornady stuff is decent IF you can find it that wasnt loaded with their FTX projectiles - those cases tend to run short , worse comes to worse one can use the -06 family of brass and either change the extractor to a rimless type or use a push rod to knock'em out
oh and for great fun stoke it up with j-words ( it's a blast !! )

tgator
03-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Run .444 brass through the 375jdj sizer - presto!

Tim

NVScouter
03-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Run .444 brass through the 375jdj sizer - presto!

Tim

Exactly thats one of JD's selling points. I was like "Change the extractor and -06 brass wut?"....

fryboy
03-10-2014, 06:22 PM
the umm "wut" works , i use all the 444 brass i can get but what about when you cant get any ? then "wut" ? ?
you can try a few without changing the extractor if'n you dont believe it but ...you'll have to poke'm out with a rod , i personally prefer the rimmed cases but again ...sometimes supplies are few and far between