PDA

View Full Version : Set Screws

alamogunr
03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Most molds have a set screw to secure the screw holding the sprue plate. Some of my RCBS molds have a copper or brass button under the point of the set screw. I have tried placing a small bit of copper under the set screw of those molds that only have a steel set screw. Very unhandy and a PIA.

I have been looking for set screws with a brass tip and up to now have had no luck. I I found it right under my nose in a Reid Supply catalog and found exactly what I wanted. I also just received a new catalog because Reid has changed their name to Essentra Components.

I don't know if anyone else is interested but I thought I would pass it on.

http://www.essentracomponents.com/product/BTS-325/1800118

Mal Paso
03-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Very Cool! But I don't see M-2 for MP Molds.

alamogunr
03-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Very Cool! But I don't see M-2 for MP Molds.

I'm not in my shop now but I think my MP molds take M4-.7 set screws unless there are two different sizes.

You are correct. Essentra does not list M2 brass tip set screws.

brasshog
03-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the link. My new RCBS mold's set screw doesn't hold well. Perhaps one of these will work better.

bangerjim
03-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Don't use copper. Use a little piece of bronze welding rod. It is very hard brass and will not smash like soft copper.

I use that all the time under steel/hardened set screws that have to seat against a polished or threaded surface.

You can tack it on with jbweld if you are afraid it will fall out!

banger

alamogunr
03-03-2014, 01:57 PM
If it smashes, I'll replace it.

Walter Laich
03-03-2014, 04:27 PM
I just throw a piece of lead shot in the hole first. Seems to do great--sprue plate screw stays tight and that's all I can ask of it

Mal Paso
03-03-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm not in my shop now but I think my MP molds take M4-.7 set screws unless there are two different sizes.

You are correct. Essentra does not list M2 brass tip set screws.

You are right, 4mm is the screw 2mm is the hex wrench. My mistake. I'll get some!

Echo
03-04-2014, 09:20 AM
+1 for lead shot. It's what I use.

enfieldphile
03-08-2014, 11:29 PM
+ 2 on lead shot! ;)

+1 for lead shot. It's what I use.

alamogunr
03-08-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm sure lead shot works great but I don't shoot or reload for shotguns. Also, my OCD rears its ugly head on small details like this. Costs me a lot of money when I could buy a 25# bag of shot and use most in the lead pot.

What size shot fits best under the common set screws?

blackthorn
03-09-2014, 12:31 PM
I have had good luck using a little brass ball, broken off one of the old electric light "pull" chains.

fastfire
03-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I too was looking for brass set screws but first thought of using shot but haven't yet, I'm going to try the shot first as I have it!

MTtimberline
03-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Another one for using the lead shot approach.

bangerjim
03-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Forget this shot crapola!!!!!!!!!! Just because we are into shooting and casting things, that is NOT the ONLY source for a solution to a problem.

Industry everywhere uses brass/bronze (or nylon & delrin for low temp apps) for sensitive contact pressure points. Do what I suggested above and use welding rod or any little piece of brass you can find. As said above, even those BRASS (not plated) light pull balls can be used. They will crush, but will give you a malleable surface to protect from your hard set screw.

I've been doing this for over 45 years!!!!!

bangerjim

kywoodwrkr
03-09-2014, 02:19 PM
If I don't have a brass tipped socket screw, I cut a thin slice off a 1/8" brazing rod.
This seemed to work for RCBS or Lacmiller and seems to still work okay today.
Lead shot for me presses to far into the junction between the inside threaded object to be held and the threads the screw is in.
YMMV
Jim,
my apology, didn't see your post. But I agree fully with you on this. Nothing puts a burr under my saddle like first no protection between steel screw and steel threads, secondly lead pellet. One scars, the other locks up.
This relates to more than reloading equipment also.

DHC
03-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Most molds have a set screw to secure the screw holding the sprue plate. Some of my RCBS molds have a copper or brass button under the point of the set screw. I have tried placing a small bit of copper under the set screw of those molds that only have a steel set screw. Very unhandy and a PIA.

I have been looking for set screws with a brass tip and up to now have had no luck. I I found it right under my nose in a Reid Supply catalog and found exactly what I wanted. I also just received a new catalog because Reid has changed their name to Essentra Components.

I don't know if anyone else is interested but I thought I would pass it on.

http://www.essentracomponents.com/product/BTS-325/1800118

Thanks for this information. I ordered several for my MiHec molds which have had a few problems with the original set screw coming loose and the sprue plate then loosening up. The new brass-tipped set screws arrived today and fit perfectly.

Thanks again!

AbitNutz
03-10-2014, 07:46 PM
These are exactly what I have been looking for. Not only can they be used to secure various moving mold parts but they can be used as trigger stops. The stainless versions with brass tips are just the ticket to thread through a trigger or trigger guard. the fact they sell them in quantities of less than a million is unique.