PDA

View Full Version : Lead Price in Adelaide (Sth. Oz).

dikman
03-03-2014, 06:22 AM
I got curious, so rang a local scrap metal merchant and asked their prices. They buy range scrap, as is, for 30c/lb, if it's melted into ingots they pay 60c/lb. They sell pure lead (sheet/flashing etc) for $1/lb.

Currently I have approx. 680 lbs of range scrap (most of it melted) and in all likelihood I'll never use it as I shoot muzzleloaders so it occurred to me that maybe I should convert it to pure lead via the scrap yard. Considering all it cost me is time and some fuel to melt it it seems like a win-win to me. (I add to it every time I go to the range anyway).

Or I could just use it to buy another pistol [smilie=1:.

GlocksareGood
03-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Why not just post it up for sale or trade here? I am sure someone will trade with you for your harder range lead. Soft lead is easier to get for most people.

HARRYMPOPE
03-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Pure lead is harder to find for me out on the West coast.when I do $1 a pound is the going rate.

mold maker
03-03-2014, 11:28 AM
If the scrap yard is buying range scrap, they will also buy the jackets left from melting the lead. If they're paying .60 for the lead and a couple bucks for the #2 brass (jackets) you might come out ahead doing the work. That traded for the soft lead you require, would be a good deal.
All my range scrap is around 12-14 hardness, and casts well with a little tin for low to med velocity handgun.
So far, I've found more than enough soft (6-8) lead for my needs. Lead pipe, X ray shielding, phone cable shielding, and roofing pipe seals are a ready source.

Ramslammer
03-03-2014, 04:49 PM
G'Day
Advertise it at Para a lot of blokes there cast. Also there will be some interstate blokes there in April.
Juddy

bumpo628
03-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Try to trade it or sell it locally first.
Or see if they'll do a pound for pound swap (with transaction fee, of course). Can't hurt to ask - especially if you give them ingotized range lead and take raw pure lead off their hands.

That's a good idea about selling the jackets, regardless of which way you go. Just check the jackets with a magnet to see if there are any steel ones in there first.

dikman
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Ramslammer, I hadn't thought of that. Para has a lot of members (very few of whom shoot BP) so it might be worth a try. As for jackets, guys, there's very little of that as they don't shoot jacketed rounds at the pistol club. Likewise, sorting won't work as there's very little pure - they're mostly around .38 cal/9mm roundnose/wadcutters. I tried advertising it on an Ozzie forum, but got nil response. Norbrat swapped some with me, but as he's heading to far distant Queensland soon he won't want any more. I know that there are probably a quite a few on here that could help out, but methinks the shipping cost to/from the US would be astronomical!!

The scrap yard, while not giving the most favourable return, is a fairly easy option. In the meantime, I'll make some enquiries at Para and keep collecting (I can't help myself!).

Norbrat
03-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Ricahrd, if you want to put together a flyer and send it to me as say a pdf, I can print it out and stick it on Para's noticeboard.

Do you know the BHN of the ingots? If not, I can run some of the ingots I got from you through the Lee tester and get an idea.

stu206
03-06-2014, 04:05 AM
For me lead is easy to come by, almost pure and I get it for cheap price of free. Where I used to work at still can get lead, around 300 pouds a year I can usually get. Have some lead/caclium sleeve material here at the house along with some sheet lead.
I have been shooting Muzzleloaders since around 1975 and have cast all my lead balls I have shot and never have bought any lead yet.

eljefeoz
03-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Dikman
if come down to Melbourne, happy to swap you some pure lead for the range scrap.
cheers

dikman
03-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Only just saw this post, been a bit busy - just bought an air pistol (FWB 65) and was in the Adelaide Gun Shop and saw a Pedersoli Frontier flintlock, so I bought that too! And then I figured I'm going to need another gun safe, so bought that and spent two days building a cupboard around it!! And I used to wonder what I was going to do in retirement (well, not really, but I had no idea this little "hobby" would come along).

Thanks, eljefeoz, but unfortunately I can't carry much lead on a motorbike (bit of a weight issue [smilie=1:). On the other hand, if you're ever over this way, don't bother with luggage just fill the car with lead :bigsmyl2:.

Norbrat, I'll see if I can come up with something, thanks for the offer. No, I don't know the BHN, but I'd be guessing at around 12-15? I'd be interested to see what your tester shows.

wmitty
03-09-2014, 04:56 PM
dikman

I'm afraid some of us don't realize where you are posting from... I'm assuming Adelaide is on the south side of the continent? Haven't looked at the map lately.

dikman
03-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Yep, capital city of South Australia, which as the name suggests is on the southern part of the Great Southern Land. And you're quite right, Mr. Mitty, I've noticed that many don't look at a poster's location. (Although this forum is US-based, there are one or two members from other parts of the world, so I think it's important to give some indication of from whence one comes).